Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   94 YJ won't turn over, tried everything I know (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/94-yj-wont-turn-over-tried-everything-i-know-216524.html)

mporado 02-02-2013 12:27 PM

94 YJ won't turn over, tried everything I know

I have a 94 Wrangler YJ, it won't turn over. switch is on it shows power until turning the switch then nothing, like dead. I have a new battery, tested the starter, replaced the cables, replaced the starter relay, still nothing.
i would appreciate any ideas, I don't know what else it could be?

teardropty 02-02-2013 12:58 PM

Check your grounds and battery connections. A slight film of corrosion between a battery clamp and terminal post can give you a positive reading but break connection when you go to start. Make sure your battery posts and clamps are clean and making good contact. Put some dielectric grease on your connections. Also check your starter connections. Does the starter relay click at all?

Gunz n tractorz 02-02-2013 01:20 PM

Then try to turn over again and repeat

Gunz n tractorz 02-02-2013 01:22 PM

I'm sorry the first part should say tap starter with hammer.

rmloke1 02-02-2013 04:53 PM

Check the crankshaft sensor, knocked mine out of place last year and it sounds alot like what you're going through

RandomYJguy 02-04-2013 12:37 AM

Some exact problem with mine... I am able to start the jeep by taking a screw driver (with rubber handle) and touching the 2 contact points on the starter solenoid. Starter tests out good, could it be just the solenoid..?!

sevenservices 02-04-2013 09:32 AM

does is go dead and stay dead? If it dies and stays dead, its your terminal connections.

If it goes way down, then comes back up to power when you let off the key something is jammed up somewhere...

RandomYJguy 02-04-2013 10:41 AM

When i turn my key, it clicks and then everything shuts off. Radio etc.

It doesn't crank or anything.

mbaseel 02-04-2013 11:00 AM

Randomyjguy sounds like bad connections. I had this happen. Had to clean every ground wire connection with a wire brush and then re attach. It worked for a couple of days and then stopped again. Turned out that my main positive wire from the battery to the starter was corroded inside the sheath. Replaced all main wires ( grounds and hots) and works like a charm now. Hope this helps

mporado 02-06-2013 06:27 PM

Tracked it down...

It turns out it is in the switch somewhere. Not sure if it's a short; I pulled the tilt wheel down and it started every time since. I'm afraid it will be a pain to replace it.

Keymo 02-07-2013 05:59 AM

It should just be out of adjustment if all you had to do to get it to work again was tilt the wheel.

The Starter (ignition) switch is on top of the steering column behind the dash - it's definitely a PITA to get to as well. I would recommend when you get to where you can actually get to the conenctions on the switch - take the plugs apart and clean all of the contacts REALLY well - then reconnect using dielectric grease.. The ignition switch is held in place by a couple of, I believe 5/16 nuts. Theres a push rod going from the key cylinder into it - when you turn your key the cylinder moves the pushrod into different position on the switch. This COULD be where your problem is. If it's out of adjustment, you may just need to loosen the nuts up and then push the switch towards your steering wheel a little bit. If I were you, I'd adjust it a little bit and try turning the key and repeat until if works without the wheel tilted or you can't adjust it any further towards the wheel. If you get it adjusted all the way and it STILL doesn't work - you very well might need a new Ignition switch.

sevenservices 02-07-2013 09:09 AM

good find!