Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2013 JK Soft Top Reinstall (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2013-jk-soft-top-reinstall-216660.html)

mc3072 02-02-2013 11:46 PM

2013 JK Soft Top Reinstall

When I started shopping for a JK, I looked at 4 or 5 dealers. Out of the 15-20 Jeeps I looked at, a couple of them had soft tops that were sagging at the rear of the vehicle and not very taunt...looked really funny.

Today, I took the hard top off and reinstalled the soft top. Lots of slack and sagging in the back. I panicked for about 10 minutes, then went in, got online and read everything I could find about the problem. I couldn't find anything close so I went back and tried it again. After about two hours of fighting it, I realized that when the dealer took off the soft top to install the hard top, they rotated the rear support one complete turn. Everything fit, just no tension on the top. I rotated it once and everything is back to normal. Also, there is a difference between the left and right tailgate bar brackets....trust me.

Fishinfool 02-03-2013 09:50 AM

Any chance you could take pictures of what you are talking about? I'm a visual kind of guy. Good stuff.

Dew 02-03-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc3072 (Post 3314202)
When I started shopping for a JK, I looked at 4 or 5 dealers. Out of the 15-20 Jeeps I looked at, a couple of them had soft tops that were sagging at the rear of the vehicle and not very taunt...looked really funny.

Today, I took the hard top off and reinstalled the soft top. Lots of slack and sagging in the back. I panicked for about 10 minutes, then went in, got online and read everything I could find about the problem. I couldn't find anything close so I went back and tried it again. After about two hours of fighting it, I realized that when the dealer took off the soft top to install the hard top, they rotated the rear support one complete turn. Everything fit, just no tension on the top. I rotated it once and everything is back to normal. Also, there is a difference between the left and right tailgate bar brackets....trust me.

Not sure what you mean about the rear support being rotated. But yea, the tailgate bar brackets are specific for left/right side.

Cityjeeper 02-03-2013 10:02 AM

How long does it take you to switch it over? I have a hard top now and in summer I'm planning on buying a soft top so I have no clue

supercazzola 02-03-2013 10:03 AM

Ave you looked at the softtop videos up on the jeep site, in the owner's section. They helped me. Also, I believe I also referred to the besttop info on quadratec when I was first doing my hardtop to softtop install.

Dew 02-03-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cityjeeper (Post 3315113)
How long does it take you to switch it over? I have a hard top now and in summer I'm planning on buying a soft top so I have no clue

probably take you around an hour or two the first time since you need to figure it all out

mc3072 02-03-2013 01:18 PM

Soft Top Reinstall Pics

2 Attachment(s)
Attached pics of the rear support that needed to be rotated and of the correct position. The cloth tabs that are screwed to the support have to wrap around it in order to make the cloth taunt. Hope this helps.

supercazzola 02-03-2013 09:52 PM

Are you suggesting the arch was inverted on the bar as it approached the rear?

mc3072 02-03-2013 11:00 PM

The cloth tabs attached to the rear arch were loose! but evrything was connected correctly. By rotating the rear arch, it caused the tabs to wrap around it, tightening everything up.

supercazzola 02-04-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc3072
The cloth tabs attached to the rear arch were loose! but evrything was connected correctly. By rotating the rear arch, it caused the tabs to wrap around it, tightening everything up.

Oh, I understand now... Thanks for clarifying

Dew 02-04-2013 09:18 AM

I wonder why the dealer would rotate that rear arch? That serves no purpose at all, and you're saying you saw this on multiple jeeps on their lot?

mc3072 02-04-2013 04:20 PM

Yep. I'm wondering if the soft tops those that I saw at the dealership had been taken off and put back on. Anyway, it is easy to put it on wrong. You won't realize it's wrong until you are finished. There will be way too much slack. Once I rotated the rear arch, all was good.

bigpappi 02-24-2013 11:36 AM

I am shipping my sons wrangler to him. It has a hard top, the soft top is in the garage. Do i have to remove the hardtop to get the softtop in the car for transport?

nwbronco 02-24-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpappi (Post 3413315)
I am shipping my sons wrangler to him. It has a hard top, the soft top is in the garage. Do i have to remove the hardtop to get the softtop in the car for transport?

To mount it back like it was when purchased, the hard top would have to be removed. You can store it on vehicle for transport. It will be a chore getting it in there.

Bob K.