Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/)
-   -   My First Jeep! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/my-first-jeep-216670.html)

EPUENTES823 02-03-2013 12:58 AM

My First Jeep!

1 Attachment(s)
:dance:

I'm pretty much in high heaven right now. I've always wanted a Wrangler since high school and finally years later have purchased my very own 2010, 2dr, 4wd, automatic Jeep Wrangler. I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on so here I go (thank you in advance for ANY advice/tips!):

-Is it legal/illegal to ride doorless in the state of FL?
-Since this is a used vehicle, there's a small amount of rust forming on some of the bolts near the doors on either side; a friend who used to have a Jeep recommended I use nail polish remover to stop the continuation of rust; do any of you guys have this problem/what have you done to prevent further damage?
-Where have you guys found the best beaches or trails are there to take your Jeeps out on?

I'm a total newbie at this but am so excited to get good use out of this new baby of mine! Thanks guys! :)

Enrique

Womjello 02-03-2013 10:22 AM

Welcome! No, it is not illegal to ride without doors in Fla but it is illegal to ride without mirrors. This law is vague and generally not enforced by LEOs. Remedies range from relocating the stock mirrors to one inch convex adhesive mirrors over the air vents!
Oxidation is caused by the electric potential from dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte. Using nail polish as a sealer works somewhat. Have you inspected the underbody as well? Usually if there is rust you can see then there is other rust you can't see. I think the bolt you mentioned are zinc plated, it may just be discoloration. Post a pic.
As to beaches what part of Fla do you live in?
Enjoy that Jeep!

EPUENTES823 02-03-2013 07:54 PM

So if I ride just with the rear view mirror in the middle of my windshield, that would be sufficient?

Yeah my friend suggested nail polish as well. I think it'll be a project I will tackle when I have a day off work. I looked under the body and it seems fine. The dealer though when I brought up the day of purchase (oxidation on bolts) and his response was "It's supposed to happen," so he wasn't much help. I will post a pic of the rust tomorrow. It's not serious at all, but being that it's my first Jeep, I want to make sure it lasts.

As far as Florida, I live in Central FL (Orlando). Thank you so much for your help! :D

Womjello 02-03-2013 08:41 PM

Here's a good thread with a link to the Fla law regarding mirrors. I'm way up near Jacksonville and so don't know the beaches down there. You may want to try the search button with the keywords "Orlando" and "beach".

http://http://www.wranglerforum.com/f71/florida-mirror-law-84819.html

Riding doorless is way cool.:dance:

EPUENTES823 02-06-2013 01:30 PM

i just posted a few pics of "Evangeline" on my profile. I took her out to Daytona Beach. I still haven't figured out a way to correctly post on this thread the pic of the rust.

mjohnson2400 02-06-2013 01:33 PM

Congrats!

silver rubi 02-06-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPUENTES823 (Post 3314407)
:dance:

I'm pretty much in high heaven right now. I've always wanted a Wrangler since high school and finally years later have purchased my very own 2010, 2dr, 4wd, automatic Jeep Wrangler. I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on so here I go (thank you in advance for ANY advice/tips!):

-Is it legal/illegal to ride doorless in the state of FL?
-Since this is a used vehicle, there's a small amount of rust forming on some of the bolts near the doors on either side; a friend who used to have a Jeep recommended I use nail polish remover to stop the continuation of rust; do any of you guys have this problem/what have you done to prevent further damage?
-Where have you guys found the best beaches or trails are there to take your Jeeps out on?

I'm a total newbie at this but am so excited to get good use out of this new baby of mine! Thanks guys! :)

Enrique

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

AdrianVall 02-07-2013 10:08 PM

Congrats and welcome! :) Lotta fun places to ride around here. What part of FL are you in?

EPUENTES823 02-08-2013 12:33 PM

thank you guys! i'm so excited! i live in Orlando so i have both tampa and daytona on either side.

kscott 02-20-2013 11:26 AM

CONGRATS BRO!!! I know if a trail/mud hole in Highlands County if you want to check it out. not much to it, but its something.

tabber02 02-20-2013 02:47 PM

welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Wrangler 1 02-20-2013 08:27 PM

Hey men were are you in Orlando ? I'm at lake under hill!!

EPUENTES823 06-22-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler 1 (Post 3397342)
Hey men were are you in Orlando ? I'm at lake under hill!!

Hey! I'm sorry about not responding back in months lol. I've definitely been enjoying my baby. I found out that Orlando has a Jeep Club I was thinkin' of joining so I can go out on trails with them and learn how to off road. If you ever want to ride together, let me know!

Enrique