Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (
-   -   newbie here...engine question (

bradp337 09-21-2008 08:18 PM

newbie here...engine question
I just got a 1988 yj and was doing a tune up for the first time when i noticed that the valve cover has a vent that comes out and runs into a paint can that is mounted on the inside of the driver side fender. I just want to know what the vent is and where is the hose supposed to go? Can anyone help me out with this?

Felsengleiskette 09-21-2008 08:27 PM

the paint can,? are you talking about the vacuum canister? isnt that a PCVw/ hose running to the vacuum canister?

bradp337 09-22-2008 03:36 PM

nope, it is actually a paint can. The valve cover just has a 90 degree elbow running to a piece of rubber hose that goes into a hole cut into the top of the paint can.

raymond hall 09-22-2008 04:21 PM

just a pure guess, maybe had alot of blow-by plugging air filter with oil. the paint can maybe a makeshift catch tank like on race cars?

rj_ton 09-22-2008 09:20 PM

I would think that would go into your air cleaner housing

my_yj 10-22-2008 11:12 AM

rj ton is right it should go into your air cleaner housing their should be two pcv valves on the valve cover one sucks and one blows you might have to replace it if it's sucking oil

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.