Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Flat Towing - School Me, Please (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/flat-towing-school-me-please-216851.html)

Baja1ab 02-03-2013 08:37 PM

Flat Towing - School Me, Please

I had never given it much bought in the past but recently I've been thinking I might want to tow Big Red to and from the trail when heading out to far away destinations - KOH, Calico, etc. I'd also prefer it when going camping, as there's no room for gear with a family of 4.

The first hurdle is just figuring out if I can work out the height difference between my truck (2010 GMC 1500 crew stock height) and the Jeep (which is much higher). Anyone with experience here, please chime in.

Next subject is the Jeep's drivetrain. Not that it's a huge concern but I'm wondering if there's anything I should know or expect here. Advise on tc position, etc.

Specs:

- Detroit lockers front and rear - front has Warn manual hubs.

- Dana 300 TC with twin sticks

- AX15 (5 speed manual)

Any pics along with your replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance!!! :thumb:

Gunner 02-03-2013 09:49 PM

My TJ was a tag on a motorhome for many years before I bought it. The PO use to kick the T/Case in neutral and take off. I am not familiar with the D300 and how it oils. But if it is a splash and has a total neutral then you are most likely ok. Oh yeah. Just buy a drop hitch and flip it over so it goes up.

Moabrubi 02-03-2013 11:05 PM

After dealing with many flat towing incidents such as the brake controller malfunctioning and riding the brakes (destroying them and everything near them in the process) putting it on a trailer is much better. You save wear on your tires, you can actually back up, and you can always get it home by throwing it on a trailer no matter what you break.

IMO a 16' is perfect for a Jeep. Check out AZ-Tex in Fontana, they build quality trailers and at a decent price.Your truck should have no issues pulling it.

SoCalChris 02-03-2013 11:40 PM

IMO a 16' is perfect for a Jeep. Check out AZ-Tex in Fontana, they build quality trailers and at a decent price.Your truck should have no issues pulling it.[/QUOTE]

I can't help on the flat towing but if u decide to trailer it I'd second the Az-Tex trailer co. I've bought a few from triple axel enclosed to 20' double axel open. Great quality and you can have them add anything you'd like to make it easier for you or adjust it to your liking. Good luck :thumb:

Jerry Bransford 02-04-2013 01:43 AM

The D300 needs to be modified for flat towing by adding little splasher paddles on its main shaft to provide lubrication for the output shaft bearing. I don't have a link here but how to do it should be easily found with a quick Google search.

Or you can remove the driveshafts which eliminates the need for the paddles. Here is one interesting web page that talks about it... Dana 300 Rebuild - How to lube for flat tow? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Gunner 02-04-2013 03:36 AM

Thanks Jerry I wasn't sure on the D300 oiling.

Baja1ab 02-04-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info and link, Jerry. I thought I remembered reading something about not being able to tow with some tc's due to being self lubricating - just wasn't sure which. Glad I asked... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the trailer advise. I've been considering this option as well. I rented a U-Haul car hauler last year just to see how the truck would do towing it and it did fine. I think I've know all along that this is the way I should go.

Thanks again, guys. :thumb:

mountainneer 02-05-2013 09:03 AM

subscribed

WOKNROX 02-05-2013 10:59 AM

Hey Jerry ...I haven't read the link u posted yet but is the D20 TC in need of the same mod? I would imagine so...My wife's Scout II might find its way behind my Tug sometime ...