Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Where do I start, need help! V8 experts please come too (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/where-do-i-start-need-help-v8-experts-please-come-too-216911.html)

faultymechanics 02-04-2013 09:07 AM

Where do I start, need help! V8 experts please come too

So I have an 85' CJ7 with a chevy 327 and a holley 4 barrel. Usually it takes some pedal pumping and a turn to get her started in the cold. Right now I am up in VT and my dad has been turning it on once a week to keep her fresh but yesterday he had an issue. Usually it takes a couple tries to get her going my dad describes it as: "very hard" but who knows. The issue is yesterday after not being able to get it for a while he turned the key and it sounded like it was trying to start he heard a "metal on metal bang." Now obviously it is hard to know exactly what that is.

I know metal on metal is the worst sound when it comes to any kind of vehicle but I am hoping maybe the starter just went or something? I need help guys, oh he also said it wasn't a backfire.

Thanks, any help is appreciated, I don't know where to start and we are afraid to try starting it again.

faultymechanics 02-04-2013 10:05 PM

Help, any suggestions...I am afraid to try starting it again.

Goofyjumper 02-05-2013 07:43 AM

Pull the starter off and check it. Usually only two bolts holding it on and some electrical connections and then you can check for failure within it.

You may also want to check the fly wheel. Accessible via a small cover. You want to make sure all the teeth are still on the fly wheel.

There's not likely any harm in trying to start it again. If you starter is blown then that will be really obvious immediately as the engine wont turn over. If the fly wheel or starter teeth are damaged then you will here some grinding or just spinning when you go to start it.

If it is something more serious like a busted engine component.... well, the damage is already done and you will need to do more investigating.

It is really hard to diagnose the problem based on the details you gave, I kinda think you are on your own till you get to do some more investigating.

Good luck!

faultymechanics 02-05-2013 10:37 AM

Yeah I figured it would be hard to check. Being stupid I just now asked the PO about the issue and he told me it is nothing to worry about. He said that he did it once before. Basically at that time the car had sat a month and he flooded the cylinder with gas and that bang and metal sound was it echoing through the headers. I think I am safe but I really really appreciate the help. If it still does it though and my dad swears he didn't flood it then I will take the steps you mentioned.

As a side note are there any things I can do to make it easier to start such an old engine in the cold?

Wester101 03-18-2013 05:51 PM

Manual choke has helped mine