Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Harken Hoist Installation (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/harken-hoist-installation-216933.html)

sonofmilkman2 02-04-2013 11:46 AM

Harken Hoist Installation
 
I spent yesterday installing my Harken Hoist (Thanks, Quadratec for free shipping!) and have a few finishing touches to make before attempting to use it for the first time.

I'm just looking for helpful hints and advice from those of you that have learned the hard way.... Like how to preserve the rear window seal.

Thanks!

termite 02-04-2013 01:44 PM

I used microfiber towels folded a few times, to make a nice thick pad and set those between where the straps touch the roof. I did not notice any deformation of the seal.

I also added a rope tie off cleat to wrap the excess rope around.

Sylverion 02-04-2013 02:00 PM

I just installed mine last weekend. Boy this thing is even better than I thought it would be. Popping the top off is so easy now. You are already past this step, but the only issue I had was that I installed the eye bolt off center the first time but did not angle it into the wood beam. One bent eyebolt later I learned my lesson. I also did the cleat thing termite mentioned.

I got free shipping from Quad too, that was the main reason I bought from them. All in all a good experience so far.

GeneralPatton 02-04-2013 02:07 PM

I had my hardtop stored in the rafters all summer, so I installed straps that helped to take some pressure off the hoist. They went under the top to take some of the extra weight. Not sure if I needed it, but the extra insurance and peace of mind went a long way. And in the winter, I hoist my soft top to the rafters as well. I love my hoist!

DFW6ER 02-04-2013 02:28 PM

Swim noodles. 1 noodle with a thin hole in the center should be long enough to cut into 4 sections and cheap enough to replace as it loses it's sponginess.

COStrider 02-04-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termite
I used microfiber towels folded a few times, to make a nice thick pad and set those between where the straps touch the roof. I did not notice any deformation of the seal.

I also added a rope tie off cleat to wrap the excess rope around.

Very good ideas, thanks

sonofmilkman2 02-04-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 3319747)
Swim noodles. 1 noodle with a thin hole in the center should be long enough to cut into 4 sections and cheap enough to replace as it loses it's sponginess.

What's the swim noodle for?

sonofmilkman2 02-04-2013 03:05 PM

My eye bolt is off-center, also. I haven't hoisted the top up, yet. What bent the eye bolt?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverion (Post 3319662)
I just installed mine last weekend. Boy this thing is even better than I thought it would be. Popping the top off is so easy now. You are already past this step, but the only issue I had was that I installed the eye bolt off center the first time but did not angle it into the wood beam. One bent eyebolt later I learned my lesson. I also did the cleat thing termite mentioned.

I got free shipping from Quad too, that was the main reason I bought from them. All in all a good experience so far.


Wharfrat 02-04-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 3319747)
Swim noodles. 1 noodle with a thin hole in the center should be long enough to cut into 4 sections and cheap enough to replace as it loses it's sponginess.

Pipe insulation around the straps for me.

Sylverion 02-04-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofmilkman2 (Post 3319898)
My eye bolt is off-center, also. I haven't hoisted the top up, yet. What bent the eye bolt?

The torque of pulling down on the rope with the top in the straps I guess. Diagram 6 on page 5 of the installation manual shows that the eye bolt should be angled towards the rope organizer. I didnt notice that the first time I looked through the manual and installed it straight out of the "top plate" as they label it.

DFW6ER 02-04-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofmilkman2 (Post 3319895)
What's the swim noodle for?

extra padding over the straps so you have increased surface area contacting the hard top at the lift points. Increased SA = decreased stress over such a small area on the hard top

sonofmilkman2 02-04-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks. That's an awesome avatar, by the way. TRIUMPH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFW6ER (Post 3320170)
extra padding over the straps so you have increased surface area contacting the hard top at the lift points. Increased SA = decreased stress over such a small area on the hard top



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.