Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Trinity Tuner on 2012 3.6L (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/trinity-tuner-on-2012-3-6l-217007.html)

Elarson 02-04-2013 05:32 PM

Trinity Tuner on 2012 3.6L

Well thought I would provide my personal impressions after tuning my Jeep today. First, let me say this is nothing but my personal impressions. I don't have, nor will I get dyno numbers or log things to prove it. :facepalm:

What I can tell you is I have used programmers extensively on my previous sports cars, hemi trucks, and Duramax diesels. I believe in them, they have proven themselves to me and I am not afraid to use them.

Now the baseline...my Jeep is a 2012 Wrangler Sahara with the 3.6L (obviously) and the automatic tranny. It rides on a 3.5" lift with 35" KM2's and 4.88 gearing.

Note that I do not have a complete list of adjustable parameters in my hands. I was disappointed that I have not been able to get anything specific to the Jeep 3.6L to tell me what the programmer can/cannot do short of working my way thru the menus. One downside is the same programmer covers a gazillion vehicles so the documentation is very general. I have requested it from a Diablo Tech who committed to getting me something.

To start you can as suspected adjust for tire sizes, gearing,etc. as well as program the TPMS thresholds. You can also turn off traction control completely regardless of 2wd, 4hi, or 4lo. It also has throttle boost which adjusts the sensitivity of the throttle position sensors on the throttle by wire system to get rid of lag and make it more responsive.

First impression....WOW! :punk::dance::thumb::D

Given I was almost on empty I filled up with premium and loaded the performance tune (93 octane), and set the throttle boost to full (equates to 20% improvement). Note that I also have regularly used a simple bottle of quality octane booster with a fill up.

I can honestly say based on my "butt dyno" that it feels like a completely different Jeep. The throttle response is immensely different and very snappy and responsive. The trucks wants to get up and run now...From a dead stop on dry pavement this was the first time I was actually able to get my tires to slightly bark and the traction control light to come on. That I would not have thought doable. I drove it about 75 miles after setting it up and am VERY pleased and excited to get out and work with it some more, check the MPG, etc.

On the down side....really poor documentation comes with it...nothing specific to your vehicle and nothing at all unless you print the manual.

Secondly, unlike others I have used including the trinity for my Challenger, and other tuners for my late model trucks, this one does not YET (I assume it will with a future release) have different shift point options. It does I assume within the performance tunes adjust the shift points at some degree based on driving it however. Previously with the new gearing, etc. if I stomped on it from a slow roll it would actually bump into the rev limiter prior to shifting, and once power slightly dipped (made to do that to protect the engine), it would upshift and take off again. Not now, very smooth, crisp, and well timed.

Very impressed...more to come as I play with this further.

Eric

Mopar2Ya 02-04-2013 06:29 PM

I'm bummed there is no shift point adjustment, it states on Diablo's site it can be done. Are custom tunes available from Diablo?

Elarson 02-04-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya (Post 3320845)
I'm bummed there is no shift point adjustment, it states on Diablo's site it can be done. Are custom tunes available from Diablo?

I was bummed as well. The adjustable parameters list on the website appears again to be a generic list for all and I would guess in the rush to get this out on the street they just have not gotten there yet but will in upcoming releases. That's what I have experienced in the past.

But again that's why I want to see the mapping outside of trying to look thru menus in case I am missing it or it's only available if you select other parameters although I don't think I am missing it.

I am not sure if Johan or anyone else is doing custom tunes for the 3.6L. I suspect they spend most of their time on the sports cars e.g. Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger, etc.

The shift parameter work on my Challenger was nothing short of awesome and was looking forward to something...

Eric

Elarson 02-05-2013 08:35 PM

Just a follow up that I did have communication today with Diablo's techs. They confirmed that the 2012 3.6l utilizes a different and completely independent TCM for the first time. As a result they are not able via traditional means to offer altered shift points, reset the TCM adaptation, nor disable auto upshift with the automatics autistic feature. Nor do they expect to be able to in the future. :facepalm:

jkjouster 02-05-2013 10:02 PM

Just so I am reading correctly, I can now tune my 2012 jku Sahara with exhaust and intake, 3.6?????? Including using 93 octane, and throttle maps?? An I dreaming

Elarson 02-05-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjouster
Just so I am reading correctly, I can now tune my 2012 jku Sahara with exhaust and intake, 3.6?????? Including using 93 octane, and throttle maps?? An I dreaming

That is absolutely correct. Diablosport Trinity.

rethyk 02-05-2013 11:57 PM

you people with automatics complaining about shift points make me lol. if you really care about controlling the shift points should learn manuals, they really are not that hard to operate and become second nature pretty quickly. trolling aside interested in seeing any mpg change values if you get decent gains or not since the trinity pretty much works on the same tune profiles as the intune 1000

Billybaldin 02-06-2013 12:05 AM

Use the sport shifter in the automatic. It's what it's there for. Just tap it over and bam! Instant manual. Pick and choose your shift points at will.

Jkfletch7 02-06-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybaldin
Use the sport shifter in the automatic. It's what it's there for. Just tap it over and bam! Instant manual. Pick and choose your shift points at will.

It doesn't actually shift the gears. Every time you "change" gears with it you are only increasing the highest gear at which you are allowing the engine to operate. In other words you just tell it the highest gear it is allow it to shift into. It still shifts on its own terms though.

Billybaldin 02-06-2013 12:15 AM

Oh ok. I just learned something. Lol. So really what it does is keeps you in a lower gear when you need it to stay in a lower gear. Rather than shifting through spin?

JeepHerz 02-06-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elarson (Post 3326517)
Just a follow up that I did have communication today with Diablo's techs. They confirmed that the 2012 3.6l utilizes a different and completely independent TCM for the first time. As a result they are not able via traditional means to offer altered shift points, reset the TCM adaptation, nor disable auto upshift with the automatics autistic feature. Nor do they expect to be able to in the future. :facepalm:

Thanks for the follow up on the shift points.
As one of the "those" people I am interested in adjusting the shift points to bring it back to stock or better after install of bigger tires/lift/armor etc. I know how to drive a manual and I know how to use the auto shifter- if I wanted to shift I'd have bought a manual. I just want the tranny to not shift like a tank towing a motorhome.

jadmt 02-06-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkfletch7 (Post 3327555)
It doesn't actually shift the gears. Every time you "change" gears with it you are only increasing the highest gear at which you are allowing the engine to operate. In other words you just tell it the highest gear it is allow it to shift into. It still shifts on its own terms though.

my 13 does not work that way. I can manually shift up and bounce off the rev limiter in the first 3 gears. It is no different then shifting with a manual except no clutch involved.

Gort 02-06-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

I can force an upshift on my 2012 auto from 4th to 5th with a right-bump of the shifter, so the shifting system in the 12 is more than just a limiter on the maximum operating gear. Perhaps not MUCH more (as I've only ever done this from 4th to 5th), but still more.

positrak 02-06-2013 09:12 AM

I like the sound of the throttle boost. On the site it indicates the following:

Virtual Drag Strip. Using parameters such as the vehicles speed, peak torque, wheel speed and other factors, the Trinity is able to accurately compute quarter mile, 1/8 mile or 0-60 and 0-100 time trials. The Trinity's virtual tree allows users to choose to either monitor their reaction time (like the real world) or have the tree start when they press the gas from a stop

Can you run some zero to 60's with stock and with the various settings of the thing? Or did you mean you're not going to log/dyno anything (independent and this)?

fljeepleo 02-06-2013 10:13 AM

This would be nice for my wife's Grand Cherokee,, it could use a little help towing the boat.

jkjouster 02-06-2013 10:24 AM

anyone have any further input on driveing feel with the tuner installed. on 87 and 93 octane, differences?

Elarson 02-06-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gort

I can force an upshift on my 2012 auto from 4th to 5th with a right-bump of the shifter, so the shifting system in the 12 is more than just a limiter on the maximum operating gear. Perhaps not MUCH more (as I've only ever done this from 4th to 5th), but still more.

Autostick does shift the gears very much like a manual minus the clutch. The only difference is at times to protect tranny depending on rpm, etc it will auto upshift itself such as bumping the rev limiter. I can drive a stick and do it regularly with my car. But in this case I bought and paid for an auto to not have to shift it. I just hoped the Trinity would clean up and improve the down tuned shifting made for improved mpg.

Elarson 02-06-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positrak
I like the sound of the throttle boost. On the site it indicates the following:

Virtual Drag Strip. Using parameters such as the vehicles speed, peak torque, wheel speed and other factors, the Trinity is able to accurately compute quarter mile, 1/8 mile or 0-60 and 0-100 time trials. The Trinity's virtual tree allows users to choose to either monitor their reaction time (like the real world) or have the tree start when they press the gas from a stop

Can you run some zero to 60's with stock and with the various settings of the thing? Or did you mean you're not going to log/dyno anything (independent and this)?

I can absolutely do that with the stock tune and the various other tunes I am just not sure when. To program and load a tune is probably a 20 minute process plus the testing and right now the weather is bad. If I get a decent weekend I will absolutely do that.

Elarson 02-06-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjouster
anyone have any further input on driveing feel with the tuner installed. on 87 and 93 octane, differences?

The 87 octane tune is very much just like the stock settings however it allows you to adjust all the other parameters. I dot feel much difference with it other than the accelerator reaction that comes from throttle boost. The 91 and 93 octane programs don't feel much is any different to me but they are worlds different than the stock/87 tune. Much faster feel, better acceleration, smoother. I am very impressed.

Elarson 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

Little update on mpg. Again with my 2012 Auto on 35's with 4.88 gearing.

I normally reset my computer when I fill up. I drive A LOT...about 25,000-30,000 per year on average. Unless I have been on a long trip on the highway or have went thru a tank virtually without ever hitting 50 mph, my average is and has always almost always been the same in mixed driving and my style and that's 12.2 - 12.6 mpg. I have a lead foot and am an aggressive driver normally and my highway speeds here in Mi are between 78-85 mph.

I reset the computer and filled up when I installed the 93 octane tune on Monday afternoon. This afternoon (after a couple fill ups now) I drove over 630 miles since and my average mpg on the computer is sitting right at 13.7 which it has never seen. I am very confident that my driving has been typical given my week has been the same roads, and mix it normally is. So I am also very confident that even with the performance tune my mpg has increased a good 1 mpg or in that range.

kramer2k 02-06-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 3327686)
As one of the "those" people I am interested in adjusting the shift points to bring it back to stock or better after install of bigger tires/lift/armor etc. I know how to drive a manual and I know how to use the auto shifter- if I wanted to shift I'd have bought a manual. I just want the tranny to not shift like a tank towing a motorhome.

+1 Exactly where I fit in here too.

Mopar2Ya 02-06-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

This is how my jk worked the few times I tried, absolutely horrible auto tuning, my SRT would hold a gear until redline which is how it should be. I hope someone figures out a way to adjust the shift points on these things. IMO the shift points are programed the way they are on modern vehicles partially for mpg/EPA bull instead of performance.

giannivitale 02-06-2013 10:33 PM

Can this tuner be used on manuals too?

Elarson 02-06-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giannivitale
Can this tuner be used on manuals too?

Absolutely

Gort 02-07-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elarson (Post 3329654)
Autostick does shift the gears very much like a manual minus the clutch. The only difference is at times to protect tranny depending on rpm, etc it will auto upshift itself such as bumping the rev limiter. I can drive a stick and do it regularly with my car. But in this case I bought and paid for an auto to not have to shift it. I just hoped the Trinity would clean up and improve the down tuned shifting made for improved mpg.

Now you've piqued my interest. I'm going to have to experiment with the shifter at various speeds, gears, and RPMs.

jadmt 02-07-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gort (Post 3336854)
Now you've piqued my interest. I'm going to have to experiment with the shifter at various speeds, gears, and RPMs.

2012's must be different because in manual mode the 13's will not upshift, they will however downshift if your rpms drop below a certain point ie lugging.

onetraveller 02-07-2013 11:29 PM

^^^^^^

The 2013 auto will also allow you to manually start in second gear. Great for snow covered roads.

Mike

jadmt 02-08-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetraveller (Post 3336947)
^^^^^^

The 2013 auto will also allow you to manually start in second gear. Great for snow covered roads.

Mike

ditto I will often tap it 2nd to start even on dry roads but a nice feature in snow to be sure.

positrak 02-08-2013 06:19 PM

Hope you will give a full and complete detailed review once you have had some time with it. Been following their forums now, since it came out, some serious horror stories on there. Granted no 2012 Wranglers but other Chrysler product they specifically made this for.

So far did you encounter any problems at all?

Got a couple questions if I may, something wrong with their website, keeps hanging for several days now, the open captcha they use is 404'ing and hangs the site.

1. I only got 91 and 94 octane. What to use.

2. If you have the 93 canned tune and only have access to 80+ octane can you fill up with it and will it run or do you have to re-tune and set the thing up for that?

3. Once you re-tune, does the thing have to stay plugged in or can you remove it -- only interested in the canned throttle booster tune.

Elarson 02-08-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positrak (Post 3340214)
Hope you will give a full and complete detailed review once you have had some time with it. Been following their forums now, since it came out, some serious horror stories on there. Granted no 2012 Wranglers but other Chrysler product they specifically made this for.

So far did you encounter any problems at all?

Got a couple questions if I may, something wrong with their website, keeps hanging for several days now, the open captcha they use is 404'ing and hangs the site.

1. I only got 91 and 94 octane. What to use.

2. If you have the 93 canned tune and only have access to 80+ octane can you fill up with it and will it run or do you have to re-tune and set the thing up for that?

3. Once you re-tune, does the thing have to stay plugged in or can you remove it -- only interested in the canned throttle booster tune.

No problems as all...I love it so far. Most issues people seem to have come from not following directions so the hang a tune or something doesn't load right because they didn't follow directions.

The key is to use fuel of an equal or HIGHER octane than the tune calls for. If you load the 91 octane tune than use anything over 91 octane. If you load the 93 octane use fuel at 93 or higher. You can also use octane booster to raise the octane level as well.

What you do NOT want to do is your second point. DO NOT load a performance tune and then fill up with fuel not meeting the octane requirements. At least carry a bottle of octane boost if you run into a station that doesn't have what you need. Doing so will cause pre-mature detonation issues and if it happens bad enough or long enough you will damage your engine.

Yes..once the tune is loaded you can put the thing away and literally never touch it again unless you want to.