Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   New Hampshire Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f89/)
-   -   Doors? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f89/doors-217099.html)

Sativa 02-04-2013 11:01 PM

Doors?
 
So Live Free Or Die?

That would mean we don't need doors on our jeeps right?

I have heard so much back and forth over this... I really want to know from someone that has been educated with this topic. Can we ride our jeeps without doors? (In New Hampshire)

fishspoon 02-06-2013 06:16 PM

I don't really know legally but,
in the White Mountains during the summer there are a ton of jeeps are touring around with tops and doors off. By the shear numbers I would say that it has legal.

Mom sold the Jeepster 02-06-2013 06:31 PM

Ride all summer in Cincinnati with no doors, no problem here as long as you have side mirrors. Try asking your jeep dealer how to verify the local regs. Others here have posted that its legal in a wrangler because it comes factory ready, but would be illegal to cut the doors off a sedan and operate on the public roadways.

Sativa 02-06-2013 07:21 PM

My mirrors are attatched to my doors... I think? Do they sell mirrors i can stick on?

pushnf8 02-17-2013 07:45 PM

I drive around all summer with no doors. I do, friends do, many do. It is legal as long as you have side mirrors. I purchased a set from Steves jeep country in Epsom, NH. Bolt on and go, cheap money. When my doors go on I unscrew the mirrors as my doors have factory mirrors.

owen4it 04-11-2013 08:34 PM

Doors are not needed, nor is the top. You must have at least one rear view mirror...the one on the windshield will do. Seatbelts required for anyone under 18 yoa.

thinkxingu 04-12-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owen4it (Post 3625479)
Doors are not needed, nor is the top. You must have at least one rear view mirror...the one on the windshield will do. Seatbelts required for anyone under 18 yoa.

^ This. NH law just states one rear view mirror, so pop the doors, throw on yo' seatbelt, and ca-ruise.

S

thinkxingu 04-12-2013 05:03 AM

Side note: I had a mirror relocation kit on mine, but reverted back to stock because I couldn't see them with the doors on. But it only took about fifteen minutes to swap, so it wouldn't be too much hassle for those who ran with doors off for a long time. And the price is cheap.

S

Sgt.Gecko 04-12-2013 08:21 PM

NH RSA 266:55 Mirrors. No person shall drive upon any way any closed motor vehicle, or motor vehicle so constructed, equipped, or loaded that the driver is prevented from having a constantly free and unobstructed view of the way immediately in the rear, unless there is attached to the vehicle a mirror or reflector so placed and adjusted as to afford the driver a clear, reflected view of the way in the rear of the vehicle. :thumb:

SAABseanSCANIA 04-16-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gecko (Post 3629427)
NH RSA 266:55 Mirrors. No person shall drive upon any way any closed motor vehicle, or motor vehicle so constructed, equipped, or loaded that the driver is prevented from having a constantly free and unobstructed view of the way immediately in the rear, unless there is attached to the vehicle a mirror or reflector so placed and adjusted as to afford the driver a clear, reflected view of the way in the rear of the vehicle. :thumb:

I've read this RSA before about it and wondered.

Not that I like driving without mirrors because I'm a modern American that ACTUALLY USES THEM...... but......

Wouldn't a rear view mirror satisfy this statute? Any police officers here? I've wondered this because I've driven without side mirrors and doors right passed multiple officers with no action. I'm leaning towards the officers being nice about it, but I would tend to think that the wording of that statute would be satisfied by solely a rear view mirror as it does not dictate location.

Thoughts? Has anyone got any grief about it before?

jkjeeper06 04-16-2013 05:44 PM

Technically that would count. A set of mirrors are cheap tho and actually help a ton. I got a Harley set for $10. They work great. I never get harnessed in NH with our without mirrors on and I have out of state plates. Live free or die

Sgt.Gecko 06-04-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA (Post 3643738)
I've read this RSA before about it and wondered.

Not that I like driving without mirrors because I'm a modern American that ACTUALLY USES THEM...... but......

Wouldn't a rear view mirror satisfy this statute? Any police officers here? I've wondered this because I've driven without side mirrors and doors right passed multiple officers with no action. I'm leaning towards the officers being nice about it, but I would tend to think that the wording of that statute would be satisfied by solely a rear view mirror as it does not dictate location.

Thoughts? Has anyone got any grief about it before?

I am a NH Police Officer, and the way I read it is that you only need the windshield mounted mirror. With that being said another Officer could read it differently and it would be up to a judge to decide what they interperate it to mean. I know the Judge I deal with would agree with me.

FWIW, I just pull the doors, run with just the rear view mirror and look over my shoulder to check to the side rear. If I drove on the highway or in any real traffic I'd relocate the mirrors.

SAABseanSCANIA 06-17-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gecko (Post 3824369)
I am a NH Police Officer, and the way I read it is that you only need the windshield mounted mirror. With that being said another Officer could read it differently and it would be up to a judge to decide what they interperate it to mean. I know the Judge I deal with would agree with me.

FWIW, I just pull the doors, run with just the rear view mirror and look over my shoulder to check to the side rear. If I drove on the highway or in any real traffic I'd relocate the mirrors.

Thanks for the input. I recently cruised Hampton Beach with the little lady and had no doors. For my own use, I have a wide view mirror on the window that I can clearly see my entire left side; but it's certainly not a side mirror. Anyways, we stopped for a bite and a local officer gave me a compliment on the jeep and I took advantage of the attention and asked his opinion on the door/mirror situation. He didn't know the statute off-hand but I showed him it on my phone and he interpreted it the same way. He said "Someone's gotta be having a bad day to hassle you for that... I think the rear view satisfies it". That's nice to know because anyone who grew up near HB knows that you can be pulled over for pretty much anything up there; glad the jeep wasn't the focus of negative attention. He also said it's 90% the driver's demeanor; if it looks like you're just out enjoying the jeep they're not going to bust your balls, but if you're being obnoxious (think Hampton...) then it gives them a no-brainer reason to initiate the stop.

pushnf8 08-11-2013 10:19 AM

NH requires a rear view AND driver side mirror OR both side mirrors if a rear view (windshield mount) is not in place. I cant remember the correct RSA but I am a state inspector and spent a day in court with local PD to fight (I inspected a jeep with no side mirrors and he was ticketed 5 min after leaving shop). I will try to find it in my inspection book and post. Most officers will simply inform you to get mirror.

robskully 08-12-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt.Gecko (Post 3824369)
If I drove on the highway or in any real traffic I'd relocate the mirrors.

Definatly !
Running with just the windshield one is OK on 2 lane roads but on a multi lane road it is another story. Late last Summer I got my first jeep and about a week later I had the doors off and the top down. What a BLAST it was, it was like riding my motorcycles :punk: Then I took a ride to my parents house down in Tewksbury, MA using Rt.495 and what an eye opening event that was. Here I am cruising down in the first lane doing the speed limit enjoying the experience. Then I decided to go around the car in front of me so now I am in the second lane. I see my exit coming up and to my horror I look over to look in my side mirror to see if the first lane is clear. I then realize ..... holy crap my mirrors are on my doors .... LOL .... Luckily my Wife was with me and I had her look to see. Needless to say I bought a pair of mirrors from Defiant. He is having health problems and has suspended production at this time. I have not used them yet because I got them last Fall since I got my Jeep so late last year. This year I have not put either my soft top on or ridden without doors because I have been battling Stage 3B Testicular & Lymph node cancer since Dec 2012. I can not lift any serious weight so it looks like maybe no soft top this year :nonono:
BTW .... as for the cancer the chemo and 2 surgeries went well but almost died and was hospitalized for one week after my last chemo treatment. Doctor said they checked the 2 tumors that they removed and it was dead.
Rob .....

DF Jeep 08-20-2013 06:38 PM

Have passed many police cars driving a naked Jeep.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 AM.