Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   California Grey Whales (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/california-grey-whales-217265.html)

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 04:14 PM

California Grey Whales

I took a friend sailing on our clubs Catalina 34' sailboat, Dollfun yesterday. On the way back into Newport Harbor we came across what appeared to be a family of 3 California Grey Whales. One of which surfaced within one foot of our boat which was both amazing and startling. They continued to surface around us about 5 or 6 more times, it was totally amazing to see and I had to share it with my Wrangler friends.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...s7cecc89b.jpeg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...s3d881f5e.jpeg

JacKOFFroad 02-05-2013 04:38 PM

That's awesome. I took the family last year to Monterey. We went whale watching. The greys were scared off by killer whales. We watched them hunt right next to us for about an hour. Startling for sure haha

Fred1 02-05-2013 04:44 PM

Hey Gary, They are either late arrivers to Scammons or they left there early. Which way were they headed?

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 3325388)
Hey Gary, They are either late arrivers to Scammons or they left there early. Which way were they headed?

They were doing circles around us mostly, and I think eating, but when they left they appeared to be heading south.

I have a friend who took a trip down to Guerrero Negro a few years back to go out in the pangas and be with the whales. His photos were amazing, and he could reach out and touch them. When the whale surfaced right next to the boat both myself and my buddy were too startled to snap a photo. Too bad because it would have been a great pic.

Fred1 02-05-2013 05:01 PM

Very cool!!

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 3325444)
Very cool!!

Do you and Kota like to sail?

Gunner 02-05-2013 05:19 PM

It's amazing what you get to see when your gliding along the water at 5 knots. Thanks for sharing that.

Fred1 02-05-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwy1rubi (Post 3325507)
Do you and Kota like to sail?

Sorry Gary, But HELL NO. We are stink potters. I like to turn the key and go (with beer in hand). I haven't driven my boat that much since Dakota was old enough to see over the center console. We tow to San Diego when the pelagics are here and fish into Mexican waters. We run to Catalina and fish locally when the fish are here. I'll ask you, do like to fish for Marlin, Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail ETC? BTW, what yacht club are you with? My sister and brother in law are Bahia Corinthian members. My brother in law sails professionally for the club and for some private owners. Trans Pac, Ensenada, Newport to Cabo all that crap.

Dew 02-05-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 3325388)

Whales migrate North this time of year.

edit: I was wrong, this group seems to be headed south!
http://www.acs-la.org/daily.htm

We've got humpbacks out here, and sometimes they jump out of the water making huge splashes. You can see them from the shoreline!

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 3325610)
Sorry Gary, But HELL NO. We are stink potters. I like to turn the key and go (with beer in hand). I haven't driven my boat that much since Dakota was old enough to see over the center console. We tow to San Diego when the pelagics are here and fish into Mexican waters. We run to Catalina and fish locally when the fish are here. I'll ask you, do like to fish for Marlin, Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail ETC? BTW, what yacht club are you with? My sister and brother in law are Bahia Corinthian members. My brother in law sails professionally for the club and for some private owners. Trans Pac, Ensenada, Newport to Cabo all that crap.

Hey sailing is not for everyone, thank god. :) But yea, I do anything that gets me out doors and out of my wife's hair so to speak. The sailing club is Windward Sailing. I try and take a boat out once a month and at least 2 three day trips to Catalina, now that I'm retired many more.

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dew (Post 3325703)
Whales migrate North this time of year.

edit: I was wrong, this group seems to be headed south!
Gray Whale Census and Behavior Project

We've got humpbacks out here, and sometimes they jump out of the water making huge splashes. You can see them from the shoreline!

Great link, thanks

Fred1 02-05-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwy1rubi (Post 3325945)
Hey sailing is not for everyone, thank god. :) But yea, I do anything that gets me out doors and out of my wife's hair so to speak. The sailing club is Windward Sailing. I try and take a boat out once a month and at least 2 three day trips to Catalina, now that I'm retired many more.

We have to plan a trip to Catalina this summer then. We will meet you and go diving, fishing or just sight seeing. We usually stay in Avalon.

SoCalChris 02-05-2013 10:09 PM

Sweet pictures bud. Thanks for sharing them with us

530ktm 02-05-2013 10:14 PM

I like both sail and power, been on both many times. My buddies have a 40 foot Tolly and we head over to Catalina many times for some fishing and fun. Any time you are out on the water and come upon this kind of scenery is beautiful. :thumb:

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 (Post 3326104)
We have to plan a trip to Catalina this summer then. We will meet you and go diving, fishing or just sight seeing. We usually stay in Avalon.

That would be cool, and we can stay on the boat, Avalon is cool and so is the Isthmus. I always bring a good bottle of scotch and a cigar for relaxing on the boat after dinner.

hwy1rubi 02-05-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 3327117)
I like both sail and power, been on both many times. My buddies have a 40 foot Tolly and we head over to Catalina many times for some fishing and fun. Any time you are out on the water and come upon this kind of scenery is beautiful. :thumb:

We almost always see seals, dolphins and occasionally whales at a distance, but never right next to the boat. You are so right it was really beautiful, and something I'll remember forever.