Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stock rear bumpers for tow hooks (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stock-rear-bumpers-for-tow-hooks-21740.html)

x98cobra 09-24-2008 12:08 AM

Stock rear bumpers for tow hooks
 
Is it safe to drill holes in my stock 04 rear bumper for mounting tow hooks? or is it best just to buy the rear bumper that has the tow hook mounts?? and which are better the d-shackles or tow hooks for strength, i dont do any insane off roading but need them just incase

Triple88a 09-24-2008 12:32 AM

both front and rear bumpers are too weak to weld on and pull. Maybe 14 gauge http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ileys/puke.gif... If you want to add D ring mounts you will have to mount it to the frame bolts (or get a new bumper). It should be pretty easy to make 2 L shaped brackets though.

tj1230 09-24-2008 06:25 AM

If you wan't to keep your stock rear bumper, get a receiver hitch. You can mount a D ring to the ball mount or you can buy them that way. Works just as good.

MOz 09-24-2008 06:45 AM

You can put tow hooks (or D-rings) onto your front bumper as long as you re-use the factory mounts on the top of the bumper that bolt to the frame.

I would not suggest welding anything to the stock bumper for a pick point. It will not handle the stress.

x98cobra 09-24-2008 11:11 AM

ok thanks guys i guess ima get me a new rear bumper or reciever hitch

Jerry Bransford 09-24-2008 11:19 AM

Tow hooks are bolted to the frame, they do not use the bumper at all, aside from the bolts sometimes passing through the bumper to the frame below like if you installed the Mopar hook (which I would not recommend).

For the rear, tow hooks are most commonly mounted like the below photo shows. The frame already has one hole there, you just drill one more. You do NOT (!) drill all the way through the frame, you just drill through one side of the frame and the washers and nuts are fished up inside the frame through a slot in the bottom that is pre-existing.

This method is about the best and strongest for the rear and is how I did mine 10-12 years ago. As you can see, you can pretty much use any kind of rear bumper and not have it affect the tow hook itself.

For the front, you can install tow hooks with nearly any bumper, including the OE bumper. The tow hook bolts pass through the bumper to the frame below. For the most part, only round tubular bumpers can make installing front tow hooks a challenge. :)

x98cobra 09-24-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 266878)
Tow hooks are bolted to the frame, they do not use the bumper at all, aside from the bolts sometimes passing through the bumper to the frame below like if you installed the Mopar hook (which I would not recommend).

For the rear, tow hooks are most commonly mounted like the below photo shows. The frame already has one hole there, you just drill one more. You do NOT (!) drill all the way through the frame, you just drill through one side of the frame and the washers and nuts are fished up inside the frame through a slot in the bottom that is pre-existing.

This method is about the best and strongest for the rear and is how I did mine 10-12 years ago. As you can see, you can pretty much use any kind of rear bumper and not have it affect the tow hook itself.

For the front, you can install tow hooks with nearly any bumper, including the OE bumper. The tow hook bolts pass through the bumper to the frame below. For the most part, only round tubular bumpers can make installing front tow hooks a challenge. :)

thanks now thats the anwser advice i was lookin for:punk:

x98cobra 09-24-2008 05:00 PM

So jerry how do u get a socket or wrench in through the frame to tighten the bolts??

Triple88a 09-24-2008 05:13 PM

For the rear? there is a hole underneath the frame (if not you might have to drill one) which is where you put a regular wrench just to hold it tight, then you tighten it with a socket or whatever you have from the outside.

Jerry Bransford 09-24-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x98cobra (Post 266990)
So jerry how do u get a socket or wrench in through the frame to tighten the bolts??

Through the slot in the bottom of the frame rail I mentoned above, the same one the nuts and washers are inserted up through.

x98cobra 09-24-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 267016)
Through the slot in the bottom of the frame rail I mentoned above, the same one the nuts and washers are inserted up through.

ok yes i checked there is a hole do u recommend these, they arent real expensive?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/RUGGED-RIDG...8191_10108.jcw

Jerry Bransford 09-24-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x98cobra (Post 267018)
ok yes i checked there is a hole do u recommend these, they arent real expensive?
Rugged Ridge DRESS-UP TOW HOOK KITS : JC Whitney: Jeep Parts & Accessories

Those are fine, I'd go for the black ones. By the way, most auto parts stores also carry tow hooks like those and virtually all 4x4 stores do locally. Mine are actually identical to those which have three holes in them... most have two holes. :)

x98cobra 09-26-2008 10:12 AM

cool thanks ill check my parts stores and 4x4 store


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.