Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Any other desert wanderers here? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/any-other-desert-wanderers-here-217596.html)

goin camping 02-06-2013 08:03 PM

Any other desert wanderers here?

I love meandering through the desert. Looking for stuff. Old buildings, building sites, mines, old cars, plane crash sites, historic sites even a great view.

Not much for rock crawling or planned routes.

Am I the only like that around here?

SlowThrills 02-06-2013 08:27 PM

I gotta say after looking at pics of the buried train on the Mohave river trail I would love to do a trip like that. I have a friend who loves gold prospecting and checking out old mines is his fortè. But those trips can be quite long.

Moabrubi 02-06-2013 08:33 PM

I have the Jeep mostly for the rocky stuff, but every now and again i do go out and enjoy a trip doing some desert or mountain exploring.

mountainneer 02-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin camping (Post 3331221)
I love meandering through the desert. Looking for stuff. Old buildings, building sites, mines, old cars, plane crash sites, historic sites even a great view.

I am up for going. Count me in. Always like to go exploring mines, old cabins, etc...

goin camping 02-06-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowThrills (Post 3331354)
I gotta say after looking at pics of the buried train on the Mohave river trail I would love to do a trip like that. I have a friend who loves gold prospecting and checking out old mines is his fortè. But those trips can be quite long.

I've seen steam engine along the Mojave river but not a locomotive. There was a large cracked safe nearby too.

That's the kind of stuff I love finding.

Mountainneer, You are on!

530ktm 02-06-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin camping (Post 3331221)

You are not the only one who enjoys this type of wheeling. I love to go out and explore and find cool things and sites. :thumb:

minisaba 02-06-2013 10:43 PM

I would love to that as well, maybe plan a run?

LBrito 02-07-2013 01:13 AM

I enjoy wandering around in the desert as well. Don't mind a planned route, for example, its cool to get out to Anza Borrego and follow the trails to all the desert Oasis and palm trees out there in the middle of nowhere. I've gotten lost in the Mojave desert, lost being a relative term, since I had GPS topo maps, but the unknown is nice!

DaK 02-07-2013 06:42 AM

We like to to visit sites and stuff around SOCAL. Not all jeeping has to be rock crawling and banging around, nice skills to have, but we bought our Jeep with the main purpose of adventuring out into the desert and checking stuff out. Only issue for us is that we consider Motel 8's roughing it. We all have our limitations.

DV so far is our favorite spot to explore so much to see and discover out there.

AjeepnamedDug 02-07-2013 11:46 AM

The Wife and I enjoy exploring ! Look forward to any trips and meeting new people .

WOKNROX 02-07-2013 01:54 PM

As for keeping it close to the Ft. U could full a beautiful day with Rainbow Basin, Opal Mtn, Scription canyon and on into the Black Mtn wilderness area to see the old Fargo and Stage couch trail...the well and water troffs (they used to cool the horses there) r still there...alway a great time....
Or u could run the New Berry & Rodman Mtns...lots of history and mining activity to see out there....

The wife and I r MAJORLY into rock houndin so if anyone is interested in rocks let me know ...a great way to see the desert and some beautiful rocks too!

WOKNROX 02-07-2013 03:40 PM

Oops...I meant to post this in the "Itching" thread but it still applies here...

thetoadLJ 02-07-2013 06:12 PM

i love exploring. i love stumbling upon caves especially

JoeBot13 02-08-2013 11:00 AM

If you guys ever put something together count me in ... I love exploring the desert! Gives me a chance to get the Liberty dirty too ... she can't handle the rocks like my Wrangler. Been wanting to get out to the Lava Tubes ...

mountainneer 02-08-2013 11:19 AM

Sounds like we need to get a trip planned soon....

Rrampley 02-08-2013 01:28 PM

Exactly what I wanna do!! Sounds fun and amazing if you guys dont mind being bugged by girls

AjeepnamedDug 02-08-2013 01:35 PM

Enough banter there are enough of us that like to explore . My wife Gina and I are ready ! So the more the merrier and let's set something up .

RadarRob2012 02-08-2013 01:42 PM

I love exploring the Desert too. Lol. And yeah, set something up. If I'm off, I'll pipe up and hop on.

Slo Mo 02-08-2013 01:59 PM

I would go. iF YOU set it up and let me know I will go

goin camping 02-08-2013 02:11 PM

I was thinking about going meandering on Sunday for a one day get away. Just need to get out of the house.

Not a real plan* (As usual) just have breakfast in Littlerock and then heading Northeasterishy.

*Go by the Predator plant east of Lake Los Angeles and then up and around Edwards. See if there is anything to see aviation wise. From there???

It would be a combination of dirt road, powerline roads, fine powder sand, and pavement. About the only four wheel drive part would be the fine powder sand.

As always the destination and route are set in windblown sand. We can go anywhere anybody wants. The only thing I'm set on is breakfast. :D

goin camping 02-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrampley (Post 3338992)
Exactly what I wanna do!! Sounds fun and amazing if you guys dont mind being bugged by girls

Everybody who enjoys meandering is welcome. :)

AjeepnamedDug 02-08-2013 06:39 PM

Unfortunately I work the next 2 Sundays . That following week I am on vacation and maybe can set something up for that Saturday

Rrampley 02-08-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goin camping

Everybody who enjoys meandering is welcome. :)

What time would you be hitting little rock for breakfast? I am in apple valley so I think I am about an hour out I think...

mountainneer 02-08-2013 10:38 PM

I'm also out the next 2 weekends. I will be ready to go after Presidents weekend...

goin camping 02-08-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrampley (Post 3341257)
What time would you be hitting little rock for breakfast? I am in apple valley so I think I am about an hour out I think...

9:00 Am at the Littlerock Grill?

West end of town on the south side of Hwy 138

Rrampley 02-08-2013 11:08 PM

Awesome me and a friend will see you there. At 9! If there are any plan changes just post it!

joded1 02-09-2013 09:28 AM

i like to explore gold mines out by glamis

goin camping 02-09-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrampley (Post 3341856)
Awesome me and a friend will see you there. At 9! If there are any plan changes just post it!

Just look for the ultra manly champagne and spice colored wrangler out front or on the side.

Rrampley 02-09-2013 08:35 PM

Okay I have a dark green tj and my name is rhonda can't wait I haven't been out since last spring. I usually leave my house and head up to big bear on the trails. But my honey hates off roading! So I don't have much options to get out. I spent all day painting my off road whelks and putting them and my 32s on. See ya in the morning have a good night.

mountainneer 02-10-2013 12:00 AM

Post photo's after the trip tomorrow so I can see what I missed...Wish I could make it...