Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Need help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/need-help-217732.html)

loco41 02-07-2013 12:42 PM

Need help

My 2002 TJ is overheating badly!!! I put in a new all aluminium radiator flushed the whole system and put in a 165 degree thermostat. I live in AZ so it gets pretty hot pretty quick in the summer. I was considering buying a new Flowkooler water pump or a hood with louvers and an electric fan, which one would be my best option? Any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated

RubiCobra 02-07-2013 01:30 PM

Check all of your hoses and overflow cap, burp the system again.

Then check your pump.

If you're overheating in this nice weather, you probably have 0 coolant flowing through your system.

Phil.Dye 02-07-2013 01:33 PM

Sounds like your water pump has called it quits to me.

Wattapunk 02-07-2013 01:36 PM

Our TJ's are not made to run 165 thermostat, I would change it to 195 degree thermostat.

RubiCobra 02-07-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 3334459)
Our TJ's are not made to run 165 thermostat, I would change it to 195 degree thermostat.

Oh yeah, that too. Only use a 195 deg t-stat

Wattapunk 02-07-2013 01:42 PM

Running a 165 degree thermostat has no bearing on the engine running cooler on hot days if the operating eng temp is 210 degrees. Thermostat will be fully open. You need to replace it to a 195 degree t-stat, preferably with a vent hole, and try burping the system.

Sherpa 02-08-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loco41 (Post 3334259)
I was considering buying a ... hood with louvers and an electric fan, which one would be my best option?

Do not buy either of these, at least not until you have found and properly solved your problem.

As designed by Jeep, a properly-functioning cooling system will have no problem keeping your Wrangler at the proper operating temperature, even in an Arizona summer. If you are overheating, there is an issue which must be corrected; your solid hood is not to blame. Do not resort to any goofy ideas (like a louvered hood) in your quest to fix the problem; any such "remedies" are going to be mere band-aids that won't reveal the true problem.

Do it right: find the cause and fix it.

ljjp10 02-08-2013 06:44 AM

Start your Jeep and leave cap off until you see water circulating and then put back on. You did install thermostat correctly? Just checking.

Atthehop 02-08-2013 07:05 AM

When does it overheat, sitting in traffic, on the highway, etc.....

loco41 02-15-2013 05:17 PM

Its overheating when its on the interstate and when I'm crawling but the outside temp is usually 100 degrees plus when this happens. Im trying to get suggestions before the blazing hot summer starts to avoid any damage to my engine. The Thermostat is operating correctly. and the system has been burped. The water pump is not leaking and the fan clutch is working properly. Someone mentioned that my higher gearing 4.56 maybe to blame, is that possible? Im running 33s

scot68 02-15-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loco41 (Post 3373369)
Its overheating when its on the interstate and when I'm crawling but the outside temp is usually 100 degrees plus when this happens. Im trying to get suggestions before the blazing hot summer starts to avoid any damage to my engine. The Thermostat is operating correctly. and the system has been burped. The water pump is not leaking and the fan clutch is working properly. Someone mentioned that my higher gearing 4.56 maybe to blame, is that possible? Im running 33s

Your gearing is not the cause. I run 4.56 on 33's in Mesa and I don't overheat in summer. I also run the freeway quite often. Have you pressure checked the cooling system? This could help identify an internal leak. Also just because your water pump isn't leaking doesn't mean it can't be bad. I have seen water pump impellers with the vains completey disintegrated, basically the shaft spins but moves very little coolant. I do run a hood louver but as said earlier it won't help an overheating condition. I like the look and it can help with heat soak.

loco41 02-15-2013 05:46 PM

Well I ordered a new thermostat and a Flowkooler Water Pump Ill let you know how that works. Thanks for the help.