Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   Washington Jeep Forum (
-   -   Permits? (

MangoTangoRubi 02-07-2013 06:08 PM

I just spent an hour reading various forms about OHV/ORV permits for 4x4 vehicles. I am as confused as ever. Do I need an OHV/ORV permit or license for state and federal lands in Washington? Or is my registered Jeep with a Discover Pass enough?:facepalm:

nwbronco 02-07-2013 06:36 PM

Some take the Discover Pass (Tahuya, Elbe) Some take the Northwest Forest pass (Evan's Creek, Nachez, Kaner, Raven's Roost). Those 2, and the Oregon OHV pass, and it has covered any where I have wheeled in the past couple of years.

Bob K.

baddandy 02-07-2013 08:04 PM

Discover Pass - Tahuya, Elbe, Sadie Hills, Ocult Burn, some of Ahtanum south of Hwy 12, all GREEN DOT roads AND AREAS east of FR 1703 from south of I-90 to north of Hwy 410. Basically every state lands that have use by recreationists.

NW Forest Pass - Evan's Creek, some of the campgrounds along Hwy 410, Taneum and Manashtash, and some hiking trailheads in all National Forests, but the only trails in WA that I know of needing it are Evan's Creek. You don't need it on any ORV trail in the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie, Winatchee, Okinagan, Ginford Pincho National Forests.

Peruse every region's website to see what is required before you, ignorance will still get you a ticket.

Now for my 2 cents.

The Discover Pass is a WA state pass for DNR trails and ORV areas that mainly pays for increased law enforcement and state campgrounds (the ones you have to still pay for entry), and Fish & Wildlife law enforcement, sites and areas, that's why you'll get caught for not having one so easily. ORV tabs are suppose to exempt those vehicles with it, but people are still getting ticketed, plus the rig that got the ORV there still needs the Pass! Volunteers and Clubs are who mainly maintain the trails.

The NW Forest Pass is USFS and it pays for the trails, campgrounds and rangers to maintain them. You only need to have the Pass if parked at hiking trailheads and day-use areas. Volunteers and Clubs help the rangers maintain the trails.

Snowmobilers get double whammied by both!

If you don't mind paying $30 for each Pass every year, get both and don't worry about any of the above.

Guess what pass I have, don't have and where I go and don't go? I can still wheel/bike without either Pass on thousands of miles of roads and trails in WA. I do miss Elbe in the Jeep and Tahuya on the bike during the winter, but I don't go to either during the rest of the year anyways.

Throwmorepartsatit 02-22-2013 08:26 AM

The only requirement for either pass is if you park, there is no fee for wheeling.

nwbronco 02-22-2013 10:02 AM


Originally Posted by Throwmorepartsatit (Post 3404497)
The only requirement for either pass is if you park, there is no fee for wheeling.

That sir, is not entirely true up here.

Bob K.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.