Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   I know- a traitor but those lifted JKs look ok (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/i-know-a-traitor-but-those-lifted-jks-look-ok-218062.html)

pastorscott 02-08-2013 06:55 PM

I know- a traitor but those lifted JKs look ok

So i love my TJ but man just saw a few lifted JKs - allot of money but how are they ? What do you guys think about them ? Just wondering

P Scott:whistling:

jefferyc22 02-08-2013 07:55 PM

I would assume the engine is a MAJOR upgrade. The 4.0 is a quality engine with great torque but very sluggish IMO.

TJDave 02-08-2013 07:59 PM

Only the 2012-2013's new Pentastar engine could even remotely be considered an upgrade over the tried and true 4.0 inline 6. The previous minivan motor was not even close.

A sluggish 4.0 is more likely due to improper gearing, not the engine. IMO.

Gunner 02-08-2013 08:10 PM

My YJ, my TJ and my buddies JK. Just a natural progression. I like daves JK for its extra room but my jeep goes into tighter trails than he can.

1979WagoneerLTD 02-08-2013 08:48 PM

Got a new 11 JKUR and it's super nice. Spell B.A.T.T.L.E.S.H.I.P. though, in size when compared to tudor TJ/YJ/CJ. Lifted units are even bigger, but look more proportional. Big vehicle.

mudmagnet63 02-08-2013 08:52 PM

I like the new 4 door and will prolly buy one next year. I had the 07 v6 and did not care for it. I only drove it for a few months before I sold it.

cedar 02-08-2013 09:05 PM

I like them. Maybe get one someday. But only the 2 door. Can't stand the 4 doors looks..

Some Farkin Guy 02-08-2013 09:45 PM

There's a few changes they made for the JK that I don't like, but overall it's still a good vehicle. I've mistaken a JKU for an h2 from a distance, though. :nonono: That said, they still look good after a big lift and tires, but you'll never see me driving one. I'm a fan of the short wheel base, so I don't understand the obsession with LJs and scramblers, either. :hide:

Grizzly-Chris 02-09-2013 03:12 AM

After years of owning TJ's, I maxed out on a loan and bought a 09 V6 Rubicon JK 2 door, 6 disappointed months later after putting myself in 6 years debt I sold it to go back to a TJ.
Yes it was more refined, drove a bit quicker, but leaked like a sieve through the door seals the freedom roof panels just about everywhere, which then constantly set the alarm system off, when it rained it was wetter inside than outside.

Rubicondon53 02-09-2013 03:50 AM

The JKU Rubicon is easily one of the finest long range expedition vehicles built in the world, right up there with the Defender 110, and the Toyota 80 series Landcruiser.
Provided it is 2012 and later, equipped with the new Pentastar engine. Having made this rather profound statement, why do you want one? Are you going to use it for long range off road travel? ( that's what it does best ) The only reason I did not run out and buy one is because our 04 is plenty big for us. When we need more space for camping gear we simply hook up the trailer and go. If on the other hand you want one cause its cool, I would suggest holding off until you can get a newer one with the Pentastar engine. The older mini van V6s were dogs, and you'll be completely disappointed.

Raiderfan001 02-09-2013 04:23 AM

I have a 2010 and perfectly happy with the 3.8. If you're expecting it to drag race Hondas then yeah you're going to be disappointed. If you're going to take it off road then it is perfectly capable. It's proven itself reliable for what...20 years now? My JK also doesn't leak oil or leak water through the top.

JGreen06TJ 02-09-2013 08:53 AM

I discussed this with a Jeep dealer the other day. Some of the 4-doors look very tough going down the road and some look like small hummers and some look just like these newer crossover minivan type vehicles. I usually just catch a quick glimpse while traveling down the road and can't wrap my head around the differences but some look great and others not so much.

DetroitRodeo 02-09-2013 09:00 AM

I got rid of my 2011 JKU for my TJ. Not one regret. Wasn't a fan of them in the first place (4 doors on a jeep was like blasphemy lol) but my wife suggested we needed the room. Anyway, after a year of driving it I couldn't take it anymore. Didn't feel like I was a Jeep guy anymore with all the parking lots filling up with them. Glad more folks are into jeeps now, but for me it took away a bit of the nostalgia. Now don't get me wrong, it's a jeep, if you like it, get it. Just my own opinion!

beardedbrethren 02-09-2013 09:01 AM

in my opinion.. and its just mine... I dont like the lifted 4 doors. I do like the lifted 2 doors however.

doclouie 02-09-2013 09:16 AM

I eventually will go to a 4 door, but not until they upgrade the engine. To each their own, but I have not been impressed with the minivan engine. I can say though that I have never driven one with the Penstar.

lovethetrails5 02-09-2013 09:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I love my tj more then anything but if I could trade for a 4 door I would I just didn't have the money for one I think there awesome tho

clull05rubi 02-09-2013 09:28 AM

Pentastar has power but a friend of mine that is a mechanic for jeep says the left cylinder head goes bad very quickly and theyre replacing about 5 everyday with a new refined unit. I wouldnt buy the pentastar until its been out for a few more years to see how it holds up

Patrick H 02-09-2013 11:21 AM

I'm just not super fond of the looks of the JK. I've driven a few 3.8L models, and they feel even less like a Jeep than the TJ does. That said, I'd put my wife in a 4 door JK as I think it'd make a good 4 wheel drive car for her (yes, I called a "Jeep" a car). The only other issue for me; I refuse to have Chryslers out number the GM products in my fleet..:D

Rubicondon53 02-09-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
I have a 2010 and perfectly happy with the 3.8. If you're expecting it to drag race Hondas then yeah you're going to be disappointed. If you're going to take it off road then it is perfectly capable. It's proven itself reliable for what...20 years now? My JK also doesn't leak oil or leak water through the top.

Load your JK down with camping gear, enough food water and gas for a few days in the outback, complete with roof rack or off road trailer, then get on the interstate and travel 2,000 plus miles to get to the outback, Alaska, Canada, Rocky Mountains, Moab, wherever,, load it up and go, it's a dog engine.. I'm not talking about racing a rice burner, I'm talking about having enough torque to maintain 65 mph, with slight upgrades or headwinds.. That mini van engine fails miserably...

Rubicondon53 02-09-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doclouie
I eventually will go to a 4 door, but not until they upgrade the engine. To each their own, but I have not been impressed with the minivan engine. I can say though that I have never driven one with the Penstar.

The Pentastar engine is having its share of problems, all under warranty. We can only hope that Chrysler fixes the design flaws. I'm old enough to remember when the 1st 318 v8s came out, they were far from perfect the first couple if years, now they are legend... That Pentastar has about the same HP and torque as a mild Chevy LS 5.3 litre ..

Raiderfan001 02-10-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3344253)
Load your JK down with camping gear, enough food water and gas for a few days in the outback, complete with roof rack or off road trailer, then get on the interstate and travel 2,000 plus miles to get to the outback, Alaska, Canada, Rocky Mountains, Moab, wherever,, load it up and go, it's a dog engine.. I'm not talking about racing a rice burner, I'm talking about having enough torque to maintain 65 mph, with slight upgrades or headwinds.. That mini van engine fails miserably...

So you've actually loaded up your 07-11 JK and drove it across the country then? Or are you just blowing smoke out of your a**? Sounds to me that Jeep wasn't geared properly. Mine has no problems whatsoever.

1979WagoneerLTD 02-10-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3344253)

x2.

Our JKUR loaded, back seats down, 2x dogs and humans, SOCAL to OR was a TRIP. I finally gave-up trying pass anyone and let it settle at 61 mph on the 5, except in the twisties where it was hard pressed to maintain 55 unless you hammered the 3.8 to redline.

However....what the wart has to offer for output is destroyed by the 42R tranny, which is like a bloodborne parasite. It's only redeeming characteristic is trail performance.

ken78744 02-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1979WagoneerLTD (Post 3346759)

However....what the wart has to offer for output is destroyed by the 42R tranny, which is like a bloodborne parasite. It's only redeeming characteristic is trail performance.

X1000 I hate my 42rle you can be driving just fine around town then it shifts up a gear and it has no power give it gas it down shifts and passes 2 and goes to first which is way to may rpms...

Stupid electronic transmission!!!!!

Rubicondon53 02-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
So you've actually loaded up your 07-11 JK and drove it across the country then? Or are you just blowing smoke out of your a**? Sounds to me that Jeep wasn't geared properly. Mine has no problems whatsoever.

No, I load up my TJ, it's a dog as well, headwinds in Kansas last trip =s 3rd gear at 3400 RPMs to maintain 55 mph. A good friend had an 09, jku 3:73 on 32" rubber.. even worse... No smoke, just facts .. If your JK has " no problems " them you must have spent a great deal of money on 4:88s, that's about the only way that would help.. even then you'd be wrapped up tight to maintain 65mph...

Raiderfan001 02-10-2013 10:31 AM

It's still how I bought it atm. Drove it from Cali to Missouri the long way. Dipped down to Tucson and drove up Mt Lemmon and even did some trails south of Tucson. Then on through NM, Texas, up to Oklahoma...bad head winds down there too and could still maintain 65-70 easily. Could have done even higher but I don't really speed that much. It's not like you get to where you're going that much faster. Had to ride the white line when driving passed oncoming semis on the 2 lanes highway though. Hood flutter was insane. Then drove up to the destination in MO. Maybe had 400-500 pounds of stuff I moved with me on the trip. Have 3.73s with the stock 32s as well.

It's got enough power that i'm confident enough to move up to 35s this summer without regearing immediately. 4.56s or 4.88s will come a bit later.

dfwislander 02-10-2013 10:49 AM

Owned an '83 CJ, 2002 TJ, and now a 2010 JK. Like some things better about each, but loved each of them. No regret whatsoever moving from the TJ to the JK.