Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Feedback on Olympic4x4 Slider Bars?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/feedback-on-olympic4x4-slider-bars-218117.html)

JoeBot13 02-08-2013 11:39 PM

Feedback on Olympic4x4 Slider Bars??
 
Has anyone ran or known someone who's run Olympic4x4 Sliders (part number OLY270-164) ... more specifically has anyone bounced them off of a rock??? I just want to make sure that they hold up to abuse and won't buckle my rocker panels like the smittybilt's are notorious for. I don't want to go with ACE because I want to preserve my ground clearance and I'll be damned if I can find rubi take-offs.

I did a quick forum search and didn't get an immediate answer ... any feedback would be appreciated.

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3341954)
Has anyone ran or known someone who's run Olympic4x4 Sliders (part number OLY270-164) ... more specifically has anyone bounced them off of a rock??? I just want to make sure that they hold up to abuse and won't buckle my rocker panels like the smittybilt's are notorious for. I don't want to go with ACE because I want to preserve my ground clearance and I'll be damned if I can find rubi take-offs.

I did a quick forum search and didn't get an immediate answer ... any feedback would be appreciated.

Is yours a two door?

Gunner 02-09-2013 01:46 AM

Talk to Elmo. He is friend's with the owner and has olympic everything on his jeep. Get you a deal on the parts too.

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy (Post 3342040)
Is yours a two door?

It is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3342170)
Talk to Elmo. He is friend's with the owner and has olympic everything on his jeep. Get you a deal on the parts too.

Awesome thanks! I'll shoot him a PM.

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy (Post 3342040)
Is yours a two door?

Lol ... you aren't looking at getting rid of your rubi rails are you?

Jerry Bransford 02-09-2013 07:42 PM

Olympic makes decent stuff, I have run their bumpers. But if you intend to use those guards to protect your rockers from big desert rocks & want something really strong, I would not go with a frame-mount design like those are.

Yes those are a little easier to install than tub-mounted rockers but tub mounted rockers are LOT (!!!) stronger and will hold up far better. I'd have to guess that no hardcore desert wheelers run frame-mounted rocker guards, they are just too easily damaged & bent up.

This is the type of rocker guard I'd go with for your JK.... http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=249&page=1. :)

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3345346)
Lol ... you aren't looking at getting rid of your rubi rails are you?


Maybe, how much are they worth to ya?

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 09:26 PM

I've seen them go between 100 and 150 on Craigslist ... I'd do 150 no prob especially since we are both on post and I won't have to commute ...

Jerry ... I appreciate your advice ... I'd like to stay away from frame mounted as well ... I don't have a lift and I'd like to keep as much clearance as possible

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3345869)
I've seen them go between 100 and 150 on Craigslist ... I'd do 150 no prob especially since we are both on post and I won't have to commute ...

Jerry ... I appreciate your advice ... I'd like to stay away from frame mounted as well ... I don't have a lift and I'd like to keep as much clearance as possible

You live here on post? Learn something new everyday. Honestly ill have to wait till I get paid to order mine. And I might make one more run in calico with these. I've had the weight of my driverside on them sliding down a rock with them at cleghorn. So they are pretty stout. I would get some PSC rocker skins and you should be plenty good. I want the purejeep rockers.

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 09:50 PM

Soooo you'd be willing to part with them eventually? I'd have to wait until tax returns anyways ... but that is coming by the end of next week.

I do live on post... that makes 3 of us on the forum that I am aware of. Dougzin lives up here too. I was actually down in Calico today helping select route for the Forum Meet & Greet in Calico at the end of March.

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBot13 (Post 3345945)
Soooo you'd be willing to part with them eventually? I'd have to wait until tax returns anyways ... but that is coming by the end of next week.

I do live on post... that makes 3 of us on the forum that I am aware of. Dougzin lives up here too. I was actually down in Calico today helping select route for the Forum Meet & Greet in Calico at the end of March.


Sweet. Yeah I just ordered the rest of the suspension stuff I need minus new brake lines. I was going to use this next coming pay check to squeeze some 35s out of it but I can just run my stock rubi wheels and rock rash them a little more and just get some good sliders. We get paid friday, so I'll order the purejeep ones friday night or saturday morning. Hopefully they won't take to long to get here. Just kinda pushes me back from getting 35s for about 2 months. I swear one paycheck goes to paying bills, and the other to my offroad addiction. I took a buddy to calico today and showed him where the Gatekeeper is and I drove up a hill I saw a TJ struggling on, just to be and ass. Btw, when you do get some JKU springs, I can change them out in about 45 mins tops. And go with some super long shocks (IE. 4-6in lift ones) because there is alot more travel to be found in the stock control arms then you think. But I might have to do something fancey with the WSS wires to get them to have enough slack.

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 10:10 PM

I'm gonna pick up some jku springs with tax money too ... I'd be happy with an extra couple inches. Gonna achieve that with the jku springs and 33s. I wouldn't mind the help with the springs. I found a bunch on craiglist so I figure next 4 day I'll be switching them out. I'll probably run the rubi shocks for now until I get more funds. I already have too much planned for taxes ...

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 10:21 PM

Ill sell you mine for $20 bucks, they are like 1/2 longer travel than standard wrangler shocks. If you want a couple inches (2" max) find some 19/60 springs. I bought some 17/59 ($60 shipped) and I have some poly spacers 1 3/4" fronts and 3/4" rear. It sits nice and high. I only used these to get the height I want, but I'll go with some metalcloak 3 1/2" lift springs eventually (after 35s).

JoeBot13 02-09-2013 10:33 PM

19/60s are hard to come by ... but hell anything would be a boost ... I have 13/56s ... I found a bunch of 18/59s and that is almost a full extra coil from what I have now

iwaxmyjimmy 02-09-2013 10:47 PM

I would go with those and throw a 3/4 spacer up front to level it out. I just ordered 12.5" travel shocks, upper/lower front mounts, upper rear mounts, brakeline brackets, and coil spring retainers (front and rear) for mine today. Still trying to find a deal on brake hoses because I know the brackets wont be enough.

Dougzin 02-10-2013 12:59 AM

I promise we have all seen each others Jeeps and never known it.

iwaxmyjimmy 02-10-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougzin (Post 3346444)
I promise we have all seen each others Jeeps and never known it.

I'm sure I've seen yours, mine has the RK Suspension sticker on the windshield.

Dougzin 02-10-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy (Post 3346461)

I'm sure I've seen yours, mine has the RK Suspension sticker on the windshield.

Mine does to now. Lol

iwaxmyjimmy 02-10-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougzin (Post 3346488)

Mine does to now. Lol

Mine is off centered lol totally whoops and only centered the words and forgot about the logo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.