Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   1990 YJ Want to restore to OEM... TABOO? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/1990-yj-want-to-restore-to-oem-taboo-218160.html)

gatorzone76 02-09-2013 08:05 AM

1990 YJ Want to restore to OEM... TABOO?

2 Attachment(s)
This is my first Jeep.. That being said I purchased a 1990 YJ from a off road shop that was about to butcher her up for a crawler. I gave it a close look ans saw that the body was nearly flawless except for a few parking lot dings. There was no rust anywhere on body, just surface underneath nothing a little scuffing wont help. Even better is that is was bone stock factory with only mods being a body lift and some 33's. I even pulled the carpet back ans floor was perfect. After i got the whole story it has been in climate control storage in FL for last 5 years while guy was in jail. It was sold at auction due to storage fees. I had to have it, and $4500 later it was mine. Got to digging more and found that the engine was rebuilt at a dealer just before storage. Not even one oil leak. Only repairs so far is the steering shaft and gear box. All that in consideration, i wanted one of these in high school, early 90's. I still remember that image that I got from dealer. I found that image on internet and see that is exactly what mine looked like at birth. I want to take it back to that state. Sorry mudders and crawlers, nothing against you at all, just the way i want it. Need some side steps and wheels, if anyone cares to sell them. Check out the pictures. thaks:hide:

gatorzone76 02-09-2013 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i have a set of 5 Jeep Renegade Gambler wheels for sale also if anyone wants them. Have almost new Maxxis Bighorn mud tires already mounted except for spare that is a regular street tire. The clearcoat is peeling but all wheels are straight and undamaged.

rykemc 02-09-2013 08:36 AM

Nice looking jeep to start with and I see no reason why it should not be restored back to factory.

Raoul 02-09-2013 08:58 AM

The only restore to ever cost zero dollars. :D

There are probably 2,500 high schoolers riding OEM with empty pockets and they'd be lining round the block just to swap what you got.

jokerchief462 02-09-2013 12:05 PM

It is your Jeep and that is a great looker for starting with. Keep us up and if you are looking for original parts everyone has Jeep parts in the garage. Let me know I have a small collection.

gatorzone76 02-09-2013 01:57 PM

thanks

i do need the front tow hooks, and would like the original radio, fm or cassette. just for true oem look.

Raoul 02-09-2013 02:04 PM

I put hooks on my '90, most you find will have an extra hole that will go unused, to accomodate other model years.

As for the radio, once again they will be lined around the block to do a free swap as the OEM radio is.........sad.
That said, I did keep mine for the same reason. I have a stock jeep.

I'd recommend getting a Quadratec catalog, tons of OEM stuff in there.
As soon as you buy something from them you'll get four catalogs a year. :cool:

tigerblood 02-10-2013 08:10 AM

I'm currently looking for another YJ to restore to factory to use as a DD, hoping to find one with factory hard top and full doors, I love the look of a pristine stock YJ...not taboo at all in my book.

StanF 02-10-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerblood (Post 3346873)
snip...I love the look of a pristine stock YJ...not taboo at all in my book.

+1

Make yourself happy - don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

My 95 YJ is mostly stock, and I think it looks great.

I have put some TJ parts on it (side mirrors, wheels, front bumper), but I did it because I got the TJ parts so cheap. There are BFG AT tires on it now, and I am in the process of replacing the factory decals.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...ps44616620.jpg
(the chrome grill will be removed soon! PM me if someone wants to buy it!)

raycer 02-10-2013 01:10 PM

It's your Jeep and you can do with as you please; and it is getting rare to see a stock YJ, Myself, I have never left any vehicle I've owned stock. I just always need to modify it lol

googoo 02-10-2013 02:05 PM

I have the stock steel YJ rims if you want them. All 5. Free of charge. Let me know.

bajajohn 02-10-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorzone76 (Post 3342689)
This is my first Jeep.. That being said I purchased a 1990 YJ from a off road shop that was about to butcher her up for a crawler. I gave it a close look ans saw that the body was nearly flawless except for a few parking lot dings. There was no rust anywhere on body, just surface underneath nothing a little scuffing wont help. Even better is that is was bone stock factory with only mods being a body lift and some 33's. I even pulled the carpet back ans floor was perfect. After i got the whole story it has been in climate control storage in FL for last 5 years while guy was in jail. It was sold at auction due to storage fees. I had to have it, and $4500 later it was mine. Got to digging more and found that the engine was rebuilt at a dealer just before storage. Not even one oil leak. Only repairs so far is the steering shaft and gear box. All that in consideration, i wanted one of these in high school, early 90's. I still remember that image that I got from dealer. I found that image on internet and see that is exactly what mine looked like at birth. I want to take it back to that state. Sorry mudders and crawlers, nothing against you at all, just the way i want it. Need some side steps and wheels, if anyone cares to sell them. Check out the pictures. thaks:hide:

What a Shame:rofl: finding a yj that doesnt need Fixing.
WELCOME TO THE CREW.

flcracker 02-10-2013 04:06 PM

You got the Jeep I was looking for when I got my son his first ride.... unmolested and clean as a whistle. I am in the process of being nickled and dimed to death by the one we bought but its still fun....

stykthyn 02-10-2013 04:07 PM

you arent close to gainesville are you with a name like gatorzone?

gatorzone76 02-10-2013 04:48 PM

actually in albany ga.. we did live in ocala for a while but have been a gator fan for a long time now.

gatorzone76 02-10-2013 04:51 PM

thanks goo goo

were are you located?

Bill_FL 02-10-2013 06:11 PM

I would love to have those wheels and tires. I am in north Florida.

stykthyn 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

I would like those wheels and tires but i am sitting on TJ rims. not quite stock.

gatorzone76 02-15-2013 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well sold my wheels and put the gamblers on. will sell these buy the oe style that fit.

Attachment 210077

RufBoy 08-22-2013 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I get it! I may eventually put a small lift on mine, but right now I'm just trying to get everything back to original (except for the stereo). :thumb:

RufBoy 08-22-2013 08:37 PM

gatorzone76,

Any new progress on your Jeep?

wickedyj 08-23-2013 06:58 AM

the rims your looking for came stock on my 93 im thinking about getting different rims for mine

harleydragon 08-23-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorzone76 (Post 3348746)
actually in albany ga.. we did live in ocala for a while but have been a gator fan for a long time now.

I am about 30 miles from you at Moultrie..I always have a few jeeps for sale..I have a good bit of parts too

87 Florida YJ 08-23-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4111320)
I am about 30 miles from you at Moultrie..I always have a few jeeps for sale..I have a good bit of parts too

Stop trying to peddle my Bad Boy:rofl:

harleydragon 08-23-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4111359)
Stop trying to peddle my Bad Boy:rofl:

calm down Louisville Slugger..BadBoy is actually the last one that I would want to go but I do have another cj7 with full chevy running gear,a 88 yj,6 cyl,5 spd that is stone stock and a 91 yj,4.0,auto,SOA that I would let go..both the yj's have hardtops and full hard doors..I also hoard parts just so I have a selection when I start working on something but much of it is crap such as carpet sets,etc that I took out of jeeps and have no intention of using myself

87 Florida YJ 08-23-2013 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only kidding brother. For the time being BB still belongs to you and Junelle.

It seems like there is a fortune to be made parting out these old girls. The best price i could find for little piece of nothing for the horn on the net was twenty five bucks. Wish I had a hundred of them.

harleydragon 08-23-2013 08:05 AM

there is a dude in Maine or somewhere in that area of yankee land that I buy some parts from on ebay that probably has it.he parts out a good many jeeps at pretty good prices.even if he doesn't have it listed,he probably has it.I can't remember his name off the top of my head but can look it up if you want to ask him

87 Florida YJ 08-23-2013 08:32 AM

Aristotle wrote "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts". That boy definitely didn't drive a jeep or sell on eBay. :rofl: It's the other way around for us.

harleydragon 08-23-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87 Florida YJ (Post 4111485)
Aristotle wrote "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts". That boy definitely didn't drive a jeep or sell on eBay. :rofl: It's the other way around for us.

he might have been talking about Jackie Kennedy......that was the Aristotle you were talking about,wasn't it ??

87 Florida YJ 08-23-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harleydragon (Post 4112176)
he might have been talking about Jackie Kennedy......that was the Aristotle you were talking about,wasn't it ??

You always amaze me Dragon. Not just that old country boy:rofl: