Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/)
-   -   A Great Place to Work? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f6/a-great-place-to-work-21825.html)

Dare2BSquare 09-27-2008 11:42 AM

A Great Place to Work?

Arkansas Children's Hospital has been voted one of the top 100 places to work in the nation.

My wife fell in the hallway of the office complex about a month ago coming in from the parking garage on a rainy morning. There were no mats on the floors and water on the polished hospital floors can be quite treacherous.

She found out yesterday that they are denying her worker's comp claim, because she hadn't made it to her desk yet, therefore she was not "at work".

Nevermind that she gets paged and takes phone calls on her daily one hour commute to work.

BTW she had to have surgery on her thumb yesterday because of the ligament damage caused by the fall.

JCS05Rubi 09-27-2008 12:02 PM

Sounds like someone needs to leave their cell phone and pager at the desk, if they are company items, or not use them until she gets to her desk if they are personal. When they cry and bitch (They will) she can just show them the workers comp letter, and politely inform them that she is not working until she gets to her desk.

BTW, if you had to pay for surgery, you may want to get a lawyer involved. Weather or not it ends up as workers comp or not, the buisness is responsible to create a safe environment for employees and patrons. If they aren't putting down mats on a hospital floor (I think we have all seen how slippery those floors can be at one point or another), than it is a hazard to not only employees, but to customers as well. If Joe Shmoe walked in, fell, and needed surgery on his thumb because no one was cleaning the floors or didn't have a mat down etc. you would bet your butt he would have his treatment taken care of. Your wife should be treated NO differently.

Dare2BSquare 09-27-2008 12:21 PM

I guess she is just too conscientious to not take care of her patients by making herself not available unless she is there! She deals with children in the Cardiovascular ICU unit and she will not just tell someone she is not available.

And yes, if a family member of a patient fell on that floor, Loss Prevention would have been on it like white on snow!

The thing is, she had to take off work to go to the doctor and have it x-rayed the day it happened. It wasn't broken so she sucked it up and wore a brace for a month. She never even submitted the bill for our doctor to do that exam and treatment. Now that it has required an ortho doctor and surgery you can bet that they will get the bill.

I guess they would rather handle a negligence lawsuit than worker's comp.

tarheel 09-28-2008 12:00 AM

I work at a hospital. Our insurance filed a claim against my auto insurance for medical bills incurred when my son wrecked his car. We totaled and salvaged car with no report to insurance. Dropped coverage on car and agent said no problem since there was no one else involved. 8 months later my fabulous medical insurance seeks reimbursement for the bills. Next time I send him to a bigger hospital so none of the profit goes here:mad:

BTW if she was not on the clock she is a guest of the facility and will be able to recoup damages from her fall. Falls are serious business in hospitals and factor in their accreditation process. Just remind her to mention this to the Falls Committee and see where it goes.

kg4kpg 09-28-2008 02:41 PM

I'll bet there are mats down there now. I'd get a lawyer involved as well. As far as work day starting at the desk, wow! I thought the tile to get to work or home counted.

Dare2BSquare 09-28-2008 04:28 PM

When she went home that day and came in the next, they had mats lined up all down the hallway.