Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   how much? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-much-218478.html)

themoonman23 02-10-2013 03:52 PM

how much?

hello peeps Im about to get my income tax and was wondering how much does a 2.5 lift cost? like an estimate? :dance:

OffRoadCam09 02-10-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themoonman23
hello peeps Im about to get my income tax and was wondering how much does a 2.5 lift cost? like an estimate? :dance:

Do some research? That's a very broad question. Are you looking for a spacer lift or coil lift? Are you adding weight to your jeep? Doin any offroading? Try looking at quadratec.com just to get a base estimate

Chrimbler 02-10-2013 03:58 PM

Well if you do the work yourself, depending on the manufacturer of course, and you want an actual spring lift, not just spacers, then around $1000 give or take. I put the AEV 2.5" lift with geometry correction brackets on and this is what it cost.
Some of the other kits 'appear' to be less money, but then when you add in shocks etc, they all pretty much end up within the same ballpark.
Now if you just went with a spacer lift, then you can spend a lot less.

themoonman23 02-10-2013 04:03 PM

It's cos I really don't know the difference between spacer lift and coil lift. I do want to do some off road later on and maybe add some weight but first the lift. As you can see Im a noob at this...

Chrimbler 02-10-2013 04:07 PM

Off roading and adding weight....then a coil lift is in your future :thumb:

themoonman23 02-10-2013 04:09 PM

okay so a coil lift is more for off roading and weight right? may I ask what is a spacer lift?

Chrimbler 02-10-2013 04:20 PM

A spacer lift is basically how it sounds, you place spacers on top of your existing springs, which does lift your jeep, but if you start adding weight, will make your relatively weak stock springs sag. Whereas a coil lift is made to handle more weight without the sag (or very little sag) Especially if you get progressive rate coils.
People are going to recommend different brands of lifts, and I certainly would endorse the AEV lift, but in the end you have to look at what type of off roading you want to do and then do some research, and pick the best lift for you.

themoonman23 02-10-2013 05:38 PM

okay thanks alot so you recommend the AEV lift!

kbwwolf 02-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3348605)
Off roading and adding weight....then a coil lift is in your future :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrimbler (Post 3348644)
A spacer lift is basically how it sounds, you place spacers on top of your existing springs, which does lift your jeep, but if you start adding weight, will make your relatively weak stock springs sag. Whereas a coil lift is made to handle more weight without the sag (or very little sag) Especially if you get progressive rate coils.
People are going to recommend different brands of lifts, and I certainly would endorse the AEV lift, but in the end you have to look at what type of off roading you want to do and then do some research, and pick the best lift for you.

^^ Good stuff. :thumb:

He's right on about the individuality of it...there are plenty of quality lifts out there: the AEV mentioned, TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, OME, MetalCloak, etc. They all have different characteristics, however. The AEV excels in on-road ride; the TF and RK are very expandable, should you decide to go that way in the future...

Like Chrimbler said, the key is figuring out how you wanna use your Jeep. Then go from there.

My advice: keep it as simple as possible, unless you have specific requirements that dictate otherwise. 2.5" lift, smaller wheels with 33s or, at most, 35s (the 35s can entail other costs, FYI, such as gearing, aftermarket tire carriers, gussets for your front axle Cs, trimming pinch seams, etc.).

Not a problem doing more and going bigger, for a reason, but for everyday use I'd stick to the recommendations above...

themoonman23 02-10-2013 06:20 PM

man thanks for the help! you guys rock!