Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   jeep tj squealing when accelerating? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/jeep-tj-squealing-when-accelerating-218494.html)

james_R 02-10-2013 04:46 PM

jeep tj squealing when accelerating?

Hi!! I went mudding with my friends and my jeep tj 4.0 99 just started squealing when I was done mudding.. I tightened the surpentine belt.. no squealing when at idel or anything... Just when I accelerate. It's not too loud or anything. It's new. I sprayed my engine too with some water after mudding. But I'm worried.. so any ideas what seems to he the problem? Any previous mudding symptoms that's simular to mine. Is this fix expensive or something?. Thanks!

fattirewilly 02-10-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_R (Post 3348738)
Hi!! I went mudding with my friends and my jeep tj 4.0 99 just started squealing when I was done mudding.. I tightened the surpentine belt.. no squealing when at idel or anything... Just when I accelerate. It's not too loud or anything. It's new. I sprayed my engine too with some water after mudding. But I'm worried.. so any ideas what seems to he the problem? Any previous mudding symptoms that's simular to mine. Is this fix expensive or something?. Thanks!

I saw the title and thought, dang, I have that problem too.:angel:

SJHJR 02-10-2013 06:10 PM

Tire squeal from the tremendous TJ powerplant!

03 sahara jeeper 02-10-2013 06:42 PM

Did you wash under your jeep also.

texasjeeper1 02-10-2013 10:45 PM

Went through this recently. Turned out it was front drive shaft. How I figured it out was by having a friend drive my jeep very slowly while I walked next to it. I thought it was my belt as well. One way to know for sure is if it does it while just barely creeping along (5 mph). Yours may be something different but it's worth a shot. It ended up costing $200 to have my DS rebuilt. The mechanic said the grease wears out and that's what causes it to squeal. Unfortunately you can't regrease it yourself. Hope this helps!

Hopfin 05-01-2013 09:04 AM

Had same problem, replaced intake manifold gasket on 03 Wrangler X

speedyrev 05-01-2013 09:11 AM

Is it the same in gear and moving as rev'ing the engine sitting still? Have you had someone outside the Jeep try to narrow down the location of the noise (front, back, under jeep...)

apbadger 05-01-2013 09:43 AM

It sounds like one of the U joints in one of your drive shafts. If you do not get the noise when at a standstill and revving but only when actually moving this is probably what it is. Many people refer to it as "angry sparrows". I had the same issue and it was the 2 U joints that are in the the front drive shaft in the joint closest to the transfer case. An easy way to check this is to remove the front drive shaft from the front Axel, tie it up well to the frame and take it for a drive in 2x4 if there is no noise you found the problem.

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 10:43 AM

Have this same problem, currently at the shop they are saying my u-joints.

JimsJeep 05-01-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjeeper1 (Post 3350516)
Went through this recently. Turned out it was front drive shaft. How I figured it out was by having a friend drive my jeep very slowly while I walked next to it. I thought it was my belt as well. One way to know for sure is if it does it while just barely creeping along (5 mph). Yours may be something different but it's worth a shot. It ended up costing $200 to have my DS rebuilt. The mechanic said the grease wears out and that's what causes it to squeal. Unfortunately you can't regrease it yourself. Hope this helps!

What did they say cannot be re-greased, or was the spline damaged ??

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 03:45 PM

Just got both of my rear u-joints replaced no more squealing. Guessing that's what's wrong on yours too.