Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Steering stabilizer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/steering-stabilizer-218497.html)

Nthedeepstuff 02-10-2013 05:01 PM

Steering stabilizer

Tying to get some info on what stabilizer out on the market I should go with? Got a 84 cj running 35's and a 350 if it matters. Thanks for your time

Sinister6 02-10-2013 05:21 PM

Do you NEED one? It basically dampens the jarring the steering wheel is getting from the trail or road... Buddy of mine took his off his 88 CJ w/ 37's. Go with cheap one but make sure it comes with the tapered bolt.

Nthedeepstuff 02-12-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6
Do you NEED one? It basically dampens the jarring the steering wheel is getting from the trail or road... Buddy of mine took his off his 88 CJ w/ 37's. Go with cheap one but make sure it comes with the tapered bolt.

Well took off the wheel today and found the bearing in pieces so fixed that but it was wondering everywhere. Still would like to get one to try to preserve parts and get that stiff feeling. And what does the tapered bolt do? But I'll make sure what ever one I get does have it.

Irongrave 02-12-2013 08:00 PM

a stabilizer won't do a damn thin to preserver other parts.

lynn 02-13-2013 07:30 AM

Ok so you found bad bearings on one side.
Check the other side; best to replace anyway if the first side was bad.
Use quality Timken bearings.

Check toe in. Easy to adjust yourself using a tape measure.

Then do a dry steering test... have someone turn the wheel with the engine off, look for connections moving that shouldn't, such as TREs.
Check ball joints by grabbing wheel at 6 & 12 o'clock, check for any movement.

Check caster. You may need to have this professionally checked at alignment shop, although you can get close with a magnetic angle finder.
If your Jeep is lifted, you may need steel caster shims (steel wedges between the front springs and pad that tilt the top ball joint back). Spec is 5 to 7 degrees.
After a lift, you may have only 1 of caster, so you would install 5 shims.
Shims available here:
4Crawler Offroad Products

After you confirm all of these and you still have wandering, it's time to look at steering. The most likely problem will be the intermediate steering shaft, between the box and the column. Grab that shaft... any movement/slop in any direction (up/down/sideways/rotational) at any joint, and you need to replace the shaft. Consider a quality replacement from Flaming River or Borgeson.
Also check the steering box for any slop. If any, replace the box. Consider a quality rebuild from Lares Corp, avail upon request via AutoZone. They make a heavy-duty "rockcrusher" rebuild on many Jeep boxes.

There are many causes of CJ "wandering".
If you understand them and address all of the issues, your rig will track as straight as possible... although CJs will always tend to be influenced by road crown/variations.

My '71 CJ5 would track straight and true at 75 mph on a flat highway... so it can be done... :)

As for the stabilizer... if everything is working correctly you really don't need one.
I did run one on my '71, just to dampen feedback to the steering wheel when on the trails... I used a Rancho stabilizer.

HTH!

Nthedeepstuff 02-13-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn
Ok so you found bad bearings on one side.
Check the other side; best to replace anyway if the first side was bad.
Use quality Timken bearings.

Check toe in. Easy to adjust yourself using a tape measure.

Then do a dry steering test... have someone turn the wheel with the engine off, look for connections moving that shouldn't, such as TREs.
Check ball joints by grabbing wheel at 6 & 12 o'clock, check for any movement.

Check caster. You may need to have this professionally checked at alignment shop, although you can get close with a magnetic angle finder.
If your Jeep is lifted, you may need steel caster shims (steel wedges between the front springs and pad that tilt the top ball joint back). Spec is 5 to 7 degrees.
After a lift, you may have only 1 of caster, so you would install 5 shims.
Shims available here:
4Crawler Offroad Products

After you confirm all of these and you still have wandering, it's time to look at steering. The most likely problem will be the intermediate steering shaft, between the box and the column. Grab that shaft... any movement/slop in any direction (up/down/sideways/rotational) at any joint, and you need to replace the shaft. Consider a quality replacement from Flaming River or Borgeson.
Also check the steering box for any slop. If any, replace the box. Consider a quality rebuild from Lares Corp, avail upon request via AutoZone. They make a heavy-duty "rockcrusher" rebuild on many Jeep boxes.

There are many causes of CJ "wandering".
If you understand them and address all of the issues, your rig will track as straight as possible... although CJs will always tend to be influenced by road crown/variations.

My '71 CJ5 would track straight and true at 75 mph on a flat highway... so it can be done... :)

As for the stabilizer... if everything is working correctly you really don't need one.
I did run one on my '71, just to dampen feedback to the steering wheel when on the trails... I used a Rancho stabilizer.

HTH!

Thank you. I did go ahead and pulled the other side as well cuz I thought if doing one might as well do both. I did get the timken bearings. So when I get them put on tomorrow ill go through the stuff you said and let you know. I really appreciate your advice and you taking the time to tell me the other steps to go trough to get it right.