Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Headlight upgrade! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/headlight-upgrade-218564.html)

eldreth3 02-10-2013 10:10 PM

Headlight upgrade!
 
Looking for new headlights for my 1999 need advice on the best ones for the buck!

UnlimitedLJ04 02-10-2013 10:12 PM

Bosch European H4 Headlights - PAIR

99tj707 02-11-2013 07:19 AM

How's the install on these? Pretty much plug and play?

wwch99tj 02-11-2013 08:07 AM

Yes direct replacement for the sealed beam lights

Sherpa 02-11-2013 01:32 PM

Hella makes an excellent drop-in upgrade.

Brew 02-11-2013 03:15 PM

This headlight comparison should be helpful: Jeep Headlight Shootout - Jp Magazine

As long as you keep the bulbs at 55w, it's a very easy plug and play. Even with the same wattage bulb (55w) you can have much brighter and better headlights due to the beam pattern of a new headlight housing. Great upgrade IMO.

Sherpa 02-11-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brew (Post 3352876)
This headlight comparison should be helpful: Jeep Headlight Shootout - Jp Magazine

As long as you keep the bulbs at 55w, it's a very easy plug and play.

As that comparison test shows, not all "plug and play" headlight conversions go together quite that well. Some really do install easily (like the Hellas I mentioned), while others... not so much.

eldreth3 02-11-2013 04:01 PM

So my best bet for ease of installation and quality would be the Hellas?

Sherpa 02-11-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldreth3 (Post 3353080)
So my best bet for ease of installation and quality would be the Hellas?

Well, Jp magazine definitely praised them in their comparison test. I have run these Hellas in other vehicles and have also been extremely pleased with their performance. In other words, I'm sure you'd love them.

Patrick H 02-11-2013 05:34 PM

I like my Hellas, lots of folks like the Bosch. I had a set of Deltas on one of my CJ's, and while the light pattern/ beam was fine, the housings didn't fit very well. It had nothing to do with the old Jeep, as a 7" round 6024 headlamp is a universal fit.

Radcliff 03-26-2013 04:33 PM

Get Hella HID projectors from SMS.

Rich1961 03-30-2013 08:37 PM

Do yourself a favor and do the wiring harness upgrade first. It will make a pretty good difference with just the stock sealed beams. My 03 had a 1.4 volt drop with the stock wiring, after the wiring upgrade it is now a .14 volt drop and a very noticeable improvement in light output. Go to this website for some great info on a wiring upgrade for your headlights. http://http://danielsternlighting.co...ys/relays.html

Rich

Ogre22 03-30-2013 09:08 PM

Spend the big bucks and get the truck lite led's.

Bigc3031 03-31-2013 10:02 AM

I just installed the Hella clear visions with the Hella xenon blue bulbs and they are amazing! I think these are the best bang for the buck.

Vroooom 03-31-2013 10:34 AM

Best bang for the buck :

Replace the reflectors: $35ea
Anzo USA 841002 Universal Halogen Headlight Replacement H4 Round 7 In | eBay

Install Phillips X-Treme +80 bulbs 60/67watt: $40
Philips 9003 HB2 H4 XP B1 x 2 Bulbs 67 60W x Treme Power Version Head Light | eBay

$115 total invested. 15minutes of labor. no need to tinker with wiring harness.

PHENOMINAL increase in USABLE light (that means 3000k light spectrum for those who havent read the thousands of threads on the topic of usable light).

My headlight are now as effective as the HID projecotrs on my wifes corvette.

I used to think my OEM were great. I kept heaing about how much better the Phillips +80 were and thought it was just band-wagon BS. I ordered the Phillios +100 (Which is actually 50/55 watt...less powerful than the +80 for some reason.) When i lit it up I reasized that I was a dumbass and should have listened to the recommendations that everyone had been giving on Phillips.

If my 50/55 create this big a difference...I cannot even imagine what the 60/67w are like...DAMN!

Just dont forget to adjust the point of aim on your beams after you install new reflectors.

Let there be LIGHT!

Chuck59 04-06-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroooom (Post 3575104)
Best bang for the buck :

Replace the reflectors: $35ea
Anzo USA 841002 Universal Halogen Headlight Replacement H4 Round 7 In | eBay

Install Phillips X-Treme +80 bulbs 60/67watt: $40
Philips 9003 HB2 H4 XP B1 x 2 Bulbs 67 60W x Treme Power Version Head Light | eBay

$115 total invested. 15minutes of labor. no need to tinker with wiring harness.

PHENOMINAL increase in USABLE light (that means 3000k light spectrum for those who havent read the thousands of threads on the topic of usable light).

My headlight are now as effective as the HID projecotrs on my wifes corvette.

I used to think my OEM were great. I kept heaing about how much better the Phillips +80 were and thought it was just band-wagon BS. I ordered the Phillios +100 (Which is actually 50/55 watt...less powerful than the +80 for some reason.) When i lit it up I reasized that I was a dumbass and should have listened to the recommendations that everyone had been giving on Phillips.

If my 50/55 create this big a difference...I cannot even imagine what the 60/67w are like...DAMN!

Just dont forget to adjust the point of aim on your beams after you install new reflectors.

Let there be LIGHT!

Thanks for the information and suggestions. This is a much needed upgrade for my Jeep.

Bluedog225 04-06-2013 09:48 AM

Great info. Thxs

JRobes 04-09-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radcliff (Post 3555589)
Get Hella HID projectors from SMS.

^ this

Chuck59 05-13-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck59 (Post 3601393)

Thanks for the information and suggestions. This is a much needed upgrade for my Jeep.

I did do the upgrade of my headlights and am quite pleased with the outcome. I purchased a set of Bosh reflectors from BusDepot.com. They specialize in VW busses, but headlights are an exact plug & play with our 7 inch round Jeeps. Bought them for $44 for the set plus shipping. They also had a special on halogen bulbs for $3 or 4 each. Including shipping, less than $60 bucks and about 10 minutes.

Awesome improvement, with minimal expense and trouble.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.