Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012-2013 Lockpick issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-2013-lockpick-issue-218688.html)

brycero 02-11-2013 01:50 PM

2012-2013 Lockpick issue

Guys and Gals, I installed the Coastal Tech's CHR550 in the JKU (430N radio) this weekend and noticed that only when in reverse does an image from the backup camera show up in the radio. I called coastal tech and they informed me that camera in motion does not work on 2012-2013 wranglers. The product is advertised to be able to show 4 cameras at anytime while in motion. This is flat out false, for late model wranglers only, according to the tech I spoke to. I realize this is picky, but if I am towing something and I hear a noise from the back, I'd like to check to see if the trailer is still there while driving down the interstate. With a front camera, I'd like to be able to check to see if I am clearing a boulder ('cause we have a lot of boulders here in south Texas:rofl:).
If anybody knows of any work-arounds or a product that has the same feature set as the lockpick, but works, please let me know.
I asked if any firmware update to correct this was in the works, and he said no, that it would require a re-engineering of the electronics.

Many Thanks.

kyvtx1300 02-11-2013 02:04 PM

I have the Lockpick V5, but it works by going to TV and selecting the rear camera. Have to push the left steering wheel middle button to make it go off.

2012 JKUR with a 430 mygig.

JeepArn 02-11-2013 03:12 PM

I have the CHR550 with same radio (2013 Saraha) and I'm able to view while driving. Actually, the picture while driving is better than when in reverse.

brycero 02-11-2013 03:13 PM

Thanks. I inquired if any of their products handled this problem and he mentioned that for 2012 1/2 wranglers, no. Mine was When I push that row in the display when the vehicle is in park, I get a black screen with a little bit of image, similar to what you would get if your rabbit ears on your TV werent pointed in the right direction in the 70's, except darker (yes, I'm aging myself).

brycero 02-11-2013 05:18 PM

JeepArn,

Interesting. That defies what Coastal told me. Can you see video out of the rear camera while in park and driving forward?

JeepArn 02-11-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycero (Post 3353786)
JeepArn,

Interesting. That defies what Coastal told me. Can you see video out of the rear camera while in park and driving forward?

yes. just have to select TV, then rear camera. Did you check the jumpers on the lock pick to make sure they're set right? I think there's a setting that might not allow camera to work while in gear... At least I think I remember reading that when installing.

brycero 02-11-2013 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe I have them set correctly. The pic below is basically what I see when I have it in park. This screen is the iPad (IOS 5.1) showing one of my daughter's videos while driving, so that seems to be a problem as well.

Lbear 02-11-2013 11:45 PM

I have the same issue on my 2013 with the LockPick V.5. I touch TV then rear cam and the screen goes black, indicating no input. The left steering wheel up/down buttons toggle between cameras and the center button turns them on or off. Try pressing the center button to see if that turns it on. The dip switch comment in the application guide says that for 2007-13 Wrangler dip switches 1,2 must be down or the radio won't work at all. I couldn't find anything about dip switches and the camera.

When I ordered the unit they asked what the model of my radio was because some Jeep radios are not compatible. They said mine was compatible. I will try the center button and if that doesn't work I will talk to the installer.

kyvtx1300 02-13-2013 08:31 AM

In the picture, it looks like a bad connection/connector.

Lbear 02-13-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbear (Post 3356115)
I have the same issue on my 2013 with the LockPick V.5. I touch TV then rear cam and the screen goes black, indicating no input. The left steering wheel up/down buttons toggle between cameras and the center button turns them on or off. Try pressing the center button to see if that turns it on. The dip switch comment in the application guide says that for 2007-13 Wrangler dip switches 1,2 must be down or the radio won't work at all. I couldn't find anything about dip switches and the camera.

When I ordered the unit they asked what the model of my radio was because some Jeep radios are not compatible. They said mine was compatible. I will try the center button and if that doesn't work I will talk to the installer.

I tried the center and toggle buttons and got the rear view to come on. Give it a try.

brycero 02-13-2013 10:38 AM

Carlos at Coastal Tech thinks its a bad connector as KYVTX1300 suspects. I was asked to take high resolution photos of the harness where it connects to the lockpick so that he can determine if the wires are in the wrong order. I'll let you know how that turns out.
I'll give them some credit, they do customer service on their products, which seems rare these days.

Wyle69 02-13-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycero (Post 3356015)
I believe I have them set correctly. The pic below is basically what I see when I have it in park. This screen is the iPad (IOS 5.1) showing one of my daughter's videos while driving, so that seems to be a problem as well.

Ok this is what I'm getting when it tries to show the ipod on the screen. my other functions seems to work but no ipod mirroring showing up on the screen. I am in the process of hooking up the rear camera so not sure if mine will work in motion but hooked it up inside the car and it worked when I put it in reverse.

Wyle69 02-18-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyle69 (Post 3363738)
Ok this is what I'm getting when it tries to show the ipod on the screen. my other functions seems to work but no ipod mirroring showing up on the screen. I am in the process of hooking up the rear camera so not sure if mine will work in motion but hooked it up inside the car and it worked when I put it in reverse.

Alright was on the phone with Carlos from Coastal tech today and went over the wiring harness that plugs into the lockpick part and they had 2 wires crossed up I had to cut the wires and switch them around and now it seems to work correctly. I have not got the rear view camera install yet so I have to make sure that works correctly. I have a cheap one that I hooked up inside the car to test it and it seemed to be working right now just need to figure out what kind I want to get and where to mount it. :dance:

brycero 02-19-2013 11:23 AM

Wyle69: :rofl: I was on the phone with the same guy yesterday as well. Same answer, the two brown wires were switched in the harness to the lockpick. I made the same switch yesterday. My camera, which I installed last weekend works perfectly now and the iPhone/iPad interface is now working as well. The only disappointing thing is that the image from a $17 camera I bought and waterproofed the hell out of using rubber spray paint shows a brighter picture when driving forward than it does in reverse (as JeepARN pointed out). I'll inquire.

There is clearly a run error in the harnesses we received (and I have two lockpicks, both with the same problem), but to Coastal's credit, they helped us resolve the issue, which, these days, is rare.

What is odd is that Carlos originally told me that cameras do not work in 12-13 JKs, but it turned out that the harness was to blame.

brycero 02-22-2013 12:01 PM

One final thought: I did check to see if there could be a reason that the backup camera when the vehicle is in reverse was dimmer than when in drive, and Carlos had no clue:
"No idea why your camera looks brighter one way and not the other the radio input is the same for both cameras"

JeepArn 02-23-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycero (Post 3405290)
One final thought: I did check to see if there could be a reason that the backup camera when the vehicle is in reverse was dimmer than when in drive, and Carlos had no clue:
"No idea why your camera looks brighter one way and not the other the radio input is the same for both cameras"

brycero--Did Carlos, say he was going to look into possible reasons why we see this? I did notice the other day, while backing the picture was great. But once I shifted out of park then back in again, it was back to a darker pic.. would really like to get this worked out.
What number are you calling to speak with him, I'd really like to get this working as it should.

tomthbomb 02-23-2013 08:30 PM

Sent mine back after all of the negative post. Hope y'all make it work. :popcorn:

brycero 02-25-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepArn (Post 3410394)
brycero--Did Carlos, say he was going to look into possible reasons why we see this? I did notice the other day, while backing the picture was great. But once I shifted out of park then back in again, it was back to a darker pic.. would really like to get this worked out.
What number are you calling to speak with him, I'd really like to get this working as it should.

NO, there was no commitment to figure this out. Just that it shouldn't happen. Carlos's number is 321-574-5645. Let me know, please, if you get some color on this problem.

panthermark 02-25-2013 02:34 PM

Hmmm...I'm sitting on the fence with this product. Would like a rearview camera, but don't want to blow +$200 on a unit that seems to be be a bit spotty.
:popcorn:

brycero 02-25-2013 10:23 PM

panthermark, its actually quite cool, it is just got this one bug. it is still usable, just a bit annoying that the reverse camera is darker when in reverse than when you are driving forward. I'm keeping it for certain.

jwilson2598 02-25-2013 10:39 PM

From other things I've read, this problems seems to happen to the CHRY550 unit, has something to do with how the unit handles sending camera and iPod video to the MyGig. I have not had any issues with camera picture quality on my V5 unit.

sircody 02-27-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycero (Post 3352782)
Guys and Gals, I installed the Coastal Tech's CHR550 in the JKU (430N radio) this weekend and noticed that only when in reverse does an image from the backup camera show up in the radio. I called coastal tech and they informed me that camera in motion does not work on 2012-2013 wranglers. The product is advertised to be able to show 4 cameras at anytime while in motion. This is flat out false, for late model wranglers only, according to the tech I spoke to. I realize this is picky, but if I am towing something and I hear a noise from the back, I'd like to check to see if the trailer is still there while driving down the interstate. With a front camera, I'd like to be able to check to see if I am clearing a boulder ('cause we have a lot of boulders here in south Texas:rofl:).
If anybody knows of any work-arounds or a product that has the same feature set as the lockpick, but works, please let me know.
I asked if any firmware update to correct this was in the works, and he said no, that it would require a re-engineering of the electronics.

Many Thanks.

So Video in motion doesn't work with these model years. Then what is the point or need for the Lockpick, which was made to unlock video and nav keyboard. i know the 430 needs more from the lockpick to hack it to do something else that's simple.
But the 730 RER and RHR only need lockpick to unlock those 2 features, if it didn't unlock these 2 features, then they are ripping people off, as always, cause that harness they sell or include with lockpick is that, just a Harness, which can be made very cheaply, and better then that $179.00 one they have. Lockpick isn't needed to add the cameras, mic or anything in the VES section of MyGig.
That is wrong of them to do this to you 430 owners

sircody 02-27-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycero (Post 3405290)

When you force camera on in normal mode, it's just on....But when in Reverse, there is a Signal being sent and received by unit that it's in reverse, maybe that is pulling too much or not enough power during this mode?

jwilson2598 02-27-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sircody
So Video in motion doesn't work with these model years. Then what is the point or need for the Lockpick, which was made to unlock video and nav keyboard. i know the 430 needs more from the lockpick to hack it to do something else that's simple.
But the 730 RER and RHR only need lockpick to unlock those 2 features, if it didn't unlock these 2 features, then they are ripping people off, as always, cause that harness they sell or include with lockpick is that, just a Harness, which can be made very cheaply, and better then that $179.00 one they have. Lockpick isn't needed to add the cameras, mic or anything in the VES section of MyGig.
That is wrong of them to do this to you 430 owners

I have a 2013 with 730N and Lockpick installed, all features are unlocked on mine. I have keyboard in motion, video in motion, and backup camera all turned on and working fine.

sircody 02-28-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilson2598 (Post 3430053)
I have a 2013 with 730N and Lockpick installed, all features are unlocked on mine. I have keyboard in motion, video in motion, and backup camera all turned on and working fine.

Then you should Direct this to the people who say it doesn't work, My question was to them. You replied to confirm that yours does, so shouldn't you reply to the ones that are having the problem?

jvmoney 03-04-2013 09:56 PM

Did you have to do anything special to get it working? Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? I was just on the phone with the lead tech and my 2012 manual jku with 730 and lockpick still doesn't work. With switch 6 up, video, address entry, and backup camera works but then navigation stops working. He said he'll get with engineering to see if he can make any progress, so I'll keep this forum updated for those that may still have issues.

jwilson2598 03-05-2013 08:38 AM

Mine is an automatic, I know the manuals have have been and issued or them.

brycero 03-05-2013 10:39 AM

To be clear, all of the functions work now, there was a problem in the harness where the two brown wires were reversed. Carlos had said that video in motion doesnt work in 2012-2013 wranglers, but that turned out to not be true. I'm not sure what his motivation was for saying that, but it isnt true. The only problem I have now is how dim the reverse camera is while the JK is in reverse compared to how it looks when you are driving forward.

jvmoney 03-05-2013 07:44 PM

That makes sense, haven't heard from coastal tech today so it sounds like they're still researching for us manual owners. :(

JeepArn 03-16-2013 02:24 PM

Talked with Carlos and he wants me to pull my harness and call him (will do this first of next week). Sounds like to fix the problem with the poor back up view, he's going to have me change a few wires which will correct the reverse issue BUT will eliminate the ability to see while in motion.
I'll update this once I make the change.