Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Can someone explain what exactly I need? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/can-someone-explain-what-exactly-i-need-218809.html)

getalildirty 02-11-2013 09:55 PM

Can someone explain what exactly I need?

I have been reading suspension lift threads for a long time now and I see so much confusion on what is exactly needed for a lift. If somebody could clear this up for future people looking for the same answer that would be awesome. If I want a simple suspension lift under 3" what exact parts do i need to swap in and out?

UnlimitedLJ04 02-11-2013 09:56 PM

Figure on some or many of the following components: new wheels of the proper backspacing, new tires, springs of your choice, shocks of the proper length, longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

WaterDR 02-11-2013 09:59 PM

There is really nothing that simple about lifting a jeep much more than 3 inches. Keeping the lift to 2 inches and all you need are springs and the proper length shocks.

CMA_Rider 02-11-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3355172)
Figure on some or many of the following components: new wheels of the proper backspacing, new tires, springs of your choice, shocks of the proper length, longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, regearing, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

Woah wait a minute, slow down and re-read his question, he wants a small suspension lift under 3", he doesnt need half the stuff you just mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by getalildirty (Post 3355155)
I have been reading suspension lift threads for a long time now and I see so much confusion on what is exactly needed for a lift. If somebody could clear this up for future people looking for the same answer that would be awesome. If I want a simple suspension lift under 3" what exact parts do i need to swap in and out?

So less than 3", what size tires are you wanting to run? You can do a 2" budget boost for $50 and if you wanted to go abit bigger for 33's just add a 1.25body lift and 1" motor mount lift $150. These are the only parts you'll need for a 3.25" lift :thumb:

UnlimitedLJ04 02-11-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider (Post 3355225)
he doesnt need half the stuff you just mentioned.

that depends on your personal definition of "works"...and how well you want it to "work".

CMA_Rider 02-11-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3355247)
that depends on your personal definition of "works"...and how well you want it to "work".

Well Im running the same setup as I mentioned in my last post (no lockers)and I have been doing what guys with 35's and lockers have been doing with no problem. I have great flex, I made it farther up the RTI than a guy with 8" lift and 35s, while keeping a real low center of gravity and keeping its on road manners.

If you dont believe me ask Goldensahara he's running 4.25 (3" springs/1.25bl) and he has been doing the same thing, no sye/cv.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-11-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider (Post 3355334)
Well Im running the same setup as I mentioned in my last post (no lockers)and I have been doing what guys with 35's and lockers have been doing with no problem. I have great flex, I made it farther up the RTI than a guy with 8" lift and 35s, while keeping a real low center of gravity and keeping its on road manners.

none of this really says much of anything tho. if you're doing the same stuff as somebody else with 35s and lockers, then it means you don't need 35s and lockers to go there. and even though RTI ramps are kinda useless, if you make it farther up an RTI ramp than somebody with 8" of lift and 35's, it just means that guy's junk isn't setup very smartly at all. :facepalm:

CMA_Rider 02-11-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3355361)
none of this really says much of anything tho. if you're doing the same stuff as somebody else with 35s and lockers, then it means you don't need 35s and lockers to go there. and even though RTI ramps are kinda useless, if you make it farther up an RTI ramp than somebody with 8" of lift and 35's, it just means that guy's junk isn't setup very smartly at all. :facepalm:

The guys with 35s were having a hard time, and just because I didnt spend a fortune on my lift doesnt mean that it wont keep up or surpass some of the high priced ones.

Sometimes you need to experiment for yourself, you might find a betterway of doing things.

getalildirty 02-11-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3355186)
There is really nothing that simple about lifting a jeep much more than 3 inches. Keeping the lift to 2 inches and all you need are springs and the proper length shocks.

Thats what I was asking, thanks. So is there a kit out there that includes that? I would also be able to install that myself correct?

UnlimitedLJ04 02-11-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider (Post 3355437)
Sometimes you need to experiment for yourself, you might find a betterway of doing things.

i've done a whole bunch of experimenting :punk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by getalildirty (Post 3355446)
I would also be able to install that myself correct?

yup. lift installs are fairly straight forward, just time consuming.

getalildirty 02-11-2013 10:39 PM

Will a floor jack, and handtools do the job?

UnlimitedLJ04 02-11-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getalildirty (Post 3355502)
Will a floor jack, and handtools do the job?

a big floor jack & 6-ton jack stands, metric sockets from 36mm to 8mm, similar sized standard sockets, similar sized open/box end wrenches, and a T55 to T10 torx set will do most things on a jeep

CMA_Rider 02-11-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getalildirty (Post 3355446)
I would also be able to install that myself correct?

Yes, installation is usually fairly straight forward and if you have questions that your instructions dont answer then Google it, theres write-ups on almost every lift. Give yourself a weekend so you dont have to rush through it

getalildirty 02-11-2013 10:46 PM

Alright so are there springs and shocks made for what im looking to do?

Jeep21 02-11-2013 10:53 PM

I just did a 3" suspension lift, it was a budget lift and it cakes with the coil spacers and shocks for $200 off eBay. Hand tools did the job

WaterDR 02-13-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getalildirty

Thats what I was asking, thanks. So is there a kit out there that includes that? I would also be able to install that myself correct?

There are quite a few options. Don't do anything that just adds spacers.

BDS is a nice option.

Btw, I just helped my brother and my daughters boy friend buy wranglers. Amazing how many out there have lifts that were horribly done. In fact, it is my observation that the majority out there are messed up or just done cheaply.

In both cases we ended up only buying jeeps with no lifts.

Jeep21 02-13-2013 09:19 AM

What can go wrong if you just instal spacers?

CMA_Rider 02-13-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep21 (Post 3362312)

Nothing except possible driveline vibes, which can be fixed by adding a couple of power washers between the tcase skid and the frame or by adding a bl/mml

Stock shocks are long enough for a 2bb, as is stock swaybar links, brakelines, and track bars

Jeep21 02-13-2013 10:54 AM

I do get vibes between 20 nd 30 MPH. It all happened after the lift. And what exactly are power washers

CMA_Rider 02-13-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep21 (Post 3362601)
I do get vibes between 20 nd 30 MPH. It all happened after the lift. And what exactly are power washers

Sorry, im typing on my phone

Just some regular washers you would get at home depot or ace

Jeep21 02-13-2013 12:19 PM

Where would they go? I need as much help as possible I'm sort of a newbie

CMA_Rider 02-13-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep21 (Post 3362909)
Where would they go? I need as much help as possible I'm sort of a newbie

Between your transfercase skid and the frame

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/tcase...tcase-drop.jpg

Jeep21 02-13-2013 07:52 PM

And what's this do?

CMA_Rider 02-13-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep21 (Post 3365054)
And what's this do?

It lowers your transfer case, inturn getting rid of driveline vibes by decreasing the angle of the drive shaft

WaterDR 02-14-2013 05:31 PM

It also decreases some of your ground clearance that you just gained by the lift.

I actually replaced my transfer case mount with a thinner one. That dropped the transmission without dropping the skid plate. Not sure why more people don't do that.

WaterDR 02-14-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep21

Spacers are silly IMO. All you do is raise the springs and in turn change your ride geometry and get no improvement in ride quality.

If your are gonna do all the work to install spacers, replace the springs and shocks and do it right.

Spacers are just a cheap way to get the Jeep off the ground.

Just my $.02

CMA_Rider 02-14-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3369409)

Spacers are silly IMO. All you do is raise the springs and in turn change your ride geometry and get no improvement in ride quality.

If your are gonna do all the work to install spacers, replace the springs and shocks and do it right.

Spacers are just a cheap way to get the Jeep off the ground.

Just my $.02

My 2bb gave me a better ride, and some people get em cause they dont have the money for the lift they want so they use bb's as a stepping stone. Thats what im doing

Pink_Percy 02-14-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider

My 2bb gave me a better ride, and some people get em cause they dont have the money for the lift they want so they use bb's as a stepping stone. Thats what im doing

How did a bb give you a better ride when all your doing us putting a piece of plastic on top of the factory coil? Not trying to be an ass, but Im just wondering how it improved the ride?

Patrick H 02-14-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMA_Rider (Post 3366044)
It lowers your transfer case, inturn getting rid of driveline vibes by decreasing the angle of the drive shaft

Actually, it gets rid of vibrations mostly by bringing the transfer case out put shaft closer to parallel with the pinion shaft.

IslandTJ 02-14-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterDR (Post 3361476)
BDS is a nice option.

Great 2" lift :punk:.