Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/cold-air-intake-help-219077.html)

BlackRubi12 02-13-2013 12:32 AM

Cold Air Intake Help

Ive been looking for a new cold air intake for my 2012 JK Rubicon
I have no idea about intakes, so any advice would help
-Thanks

BobU05 02-13-2013 12:56 AM

Most people here will tell you to spend the money on something else for your Jeep. The wranglers don't see much increase if any. A lot of people who have gotten an intake tend to go back to the stock set up. You may see a small change in sound but other then that, they seem worthless.

COStrider 02-13-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRubi12
-Thanks

Here is the route I went after reading a bunch of threads. Someone mentioned retaining the factory warranty is attractive. So, I found this:

http://www.moparperformanceonline.co...pentastar.aspx

Yes it costs more than comparable CAI's, but the warranty factor is well worth it.

And it sounds absolutely amazing!

MTH 02-13-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COStrider

Here is the route I went after reading a bunch of threads. Someone mentioned retaining the factory warranty is attractive. So, I found this:

http://www.moparperformanceonline.co...pentastar.aspx

Yes it costs more than comparable CAI's, but the warranty factor is well worth it.

And it sounds absolutely amazing!

Sorry, no warranty.

In terms of your factory warranty, Mopar performance parts are no different than any other aftermarket parts.

COStrider 02-13-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

Sorry, no warranty.

In terms of your factory warranty, Mopar performance parts are no different than any other aftermarket parts.

Yeah you are correct, let me give that another go please. I am in the know in terms of the Moss-Magnuson Act. I completely botched the way I phrased that post.

It will be a lot less potential hassle if you have any engine codes (tick, etc) come up and you have a Mopar CAI. This completely depends on the dealer of course and may or may not even come into play.

MTH- is that a little better?

MTH 02-13-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COStrider

Yeah you are correct, let me give that another go please. I am in the know in terms of the Moss-Magnuson Act. I completely botched the way I phrased that post.

It will be a lot less potential hassle if you have any engine codes (tick, etc) come up and you have a Mopar CAI. This completely depends on the dealer of course and may or may not even come into play.

MTH- is that a little better?

No. :D

The dealer's only role is to make the initial determination of whether the mod caused or contributed to the problem. If the dealer concludes "yes," then your warranty claim is denied, and you need to accept it or appeal the matter up the chain. If the dealer concludes "no," then you get your warranty repair and move on.

Whether the mod is "mopar" or not is simply not relevant. At any point. Ever.

So I don't see how the factory warranty aspect could be "well worth it," or what legal reason there would be why it would be "a lot less potential hassle" to have a mopar intake versus any other brand.

Right now, you are--in fact--in exactly the same legal position as someone with a K&N intake. Or a Rusty's intake. The same.

Now . . . if what you're saying is that you BELIEVE--regardless of legalities--that a dealer tech will be LESS INCLINED to blame a problem on a mopar performance product than another brand, then I can't really argue with you. I don't know what any given dealer tech will be more or less inclined to do in the future.

I do know that they don't HAVE TO BE less inclined to blame the problem on the mod merely because it's a mopar performance part. So what you're left with is really just the HOPE as to what a dealer tech might do or not do someday in the future . . . to me, that's a pretty thin reason to spend over $300 on an intake.

JMHO.

DadOwnsaJeep 02-13-2013 01:56 AM

A bunch of people over at dodge forum including myself have made cai's. It's cheap and easy and you can make it look real nice

COStrider 02-13-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH

No. :D

The dealer's only role is to make the initial determination of whether the mod caused or contributed to the problem. If the dealer concludes "yes," then your warranty claim is denied, and you need to accept it or appeal the matter up the chain. If the dealer concludes "no," then you get your warranty repair and move on.

Whether the mod is "mopar" or not is simply not relevant. At any point. Ever.

So I don't see how the factory warranty aspect could be "well worth it," or what legal reason there would be why it would be "a lot less potential hassle" to have a mopar intake versus any other brand.

Right now, you are--in fact--in exactly the same legal position as someone with a K&N intake. Or a Rusty's intake. The same.

Now . . . if what you're saying is that you BELIEVE--regardless of legalities--that a dealer tech will be LESS INCLINED to blame a problem on a mopar performance product than another brand, then I can't really argue with you. I don't know what any given dealer tech will be more or less inclined to do in the future.

I do know that they don't HAVE TO BE less inclined to blame the problem on the mod merely because it's a mopar performance part. So what you're left with is really just the HOPE as to what a dealer tech might do or not do someday in the future . . . to me, that's a pretty thin reason to spend over $300 on an intake.

JMHO.

I agree with a lot of what you are pointing out. But you are going to a very specific place where I am generalizing. So I'm not going to engage this tangent to the OP's thread. There are too many points you are over-analyzing and making obscure and absurd correlations by twisting my words.

Moha 02-13-2013 02:35 AM

I went with Volant, the fit and finish was top notch and the sound is sex.

Dry filter was a plus too, much easier to clean. Offers good proctection with the socks they sell too.

ohioviper 02-13-2013 02:38 AM

I never got the CAI thing. Not very many applications actually produce more power and in almost all cases they do worse filtering out the dirt and leaving the intake susceptible to sucking in water .The stock airbox and filter work great and offer the best protection.

COStrider 02-13-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper
I never got the CAI thing. Not very many applications actually produce more power and in almost all cases they do worse filtering out the dirt and leaving the intake susceptible to sucking in water .The stock airbox and filter work great and offer the best protection.

Read ^^ Moha

Have you ever heard sex? It is awesome, second only to partaking :)

colorado-joe 02-13-2013 06:04 AM

loud and proud

In my experience if you do cold air you have to do exhaust. if let more air in you have to get more air out to make a difference. I have 2011 dodge ram 1500 , 2009 dodge diesel, 2012 jeep sport did both to all made a noticeable difference.

ShaunWV 02-13-2013 06:54 AM

I cannot speak for the 3.6, but I had a K&N on my 3.8. It was worthless. Back to stock setup now.

WXman 02-13-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRubi12 (Post 3361252)
-Thanks

My advice is to

A) ignore the people who claim it's a waste of money. They roll on 35s and drink gas like it's going out of style...but they'll tell you that a CAI that brings a smile to your face everytime you turn the key is a "waste of money". :rofl: Ignore those people.

B) Get the Airaid kit. It allows you to run the filter box wide open like the other kits..OR you can seal it up like the factory box for offroad adventures. Plus the intake tube is larger and the factory sensor mounting method is nicer with the Airaid kit.

colorado-joe 02-15-2013 07:26 AM

black rubi12 the air intake you put in is a personal thing ford chevy dodge I personaly like ame brute force or afe dry filter . you need to install new muffler or cat back for power you let air in it has to go out!

Strokerswild 02-15-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorado-joe (Post 3361915)
In my experience if you do cold air you have to do exhaust.

This.

I've done both on several vehicles with good results, the exhaust makes the most difference IMO.

rics1997 02-15-2013 09:53 AM

CAI help certain vehicles but it all has to do with 2 conditions. 1) the stock air box has to be restrictive and 2) the CAI has to be located were actual cold air is brought into the system. On the JK neither condition is meet. The stock box is not restricted nor does any of the aftermarket kits located to were you get in cold air. At best you get 2 hp gains with the most expensive CAI and get a better sound. For that 2hp gain you open your system up to more dirt and the possibility of hydrolock.

If you get a CAI, Catback, and a tuner there has been dynos showing 10hp gains but again that is at max rpm's not at normal driving rpm's which is more like 2-3 hp. This is actual dynos showing this, not someones thinking it get more because it sounds better. Actual dynos don't lie, butt dynos let you feel what you want after spending that much money. Tuners tend to get more out of the system then CAI's do.

Saying that, if you want it then get it, they sound nice. Never get K&N, they aren't good filters for filtration.

clvnmcd 02-15-2013 10:28 AM

After I had went through the countless CAI threads, I finally decided the best course of action was to continue to use the stock system, but add an AFE drypro S drop in filter. Reasoning was:
1) There are simply no HP gains to be had from just a CAI
2) the Stock intake system is already a CAI, and well protected from water intrusion.
3) the AFE drypro S is a non oiled filter, so no oil messing the MAF sensor.
4) for an initial investment of $45 I never have to buy another filter.

overblown 02-15-2013 11:56 AM

I think it's safe to say that all of these "noticeable improvements" are simply placebo effect. You spend that kind of money, plus believe the factory claims and you are bound to "notice" a "difference" :rofl: Sound is one thing, actual performance is a whole different animal. Sorry but your BUTT isn't going to feel an extra 1-3 hp. They sure can sound cool though.

bloodfart 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overblown
I think it's safe to say that all of these "noticeable improvements" are simply placebo effect. You spend that kind of money, plus believe the factory claims and you are bound to "notice" a "difference" :rofl: Sound is one thing, actual performance is a whole different animal. Sorry but your BUTT isn't going to feel an extra 1-3 hp. They sure can sound cool though.

I think it's safe to say you've never seen a dyno graph, and like you, most people in this thread. Actual dyno tests have been done by a few forum users showing exactly were the improvements are to be had, if you'd actually look for them. I've reposted them in a bunch of threads and it's sad that the same bs missinformation continues rampantly...

benjamin.allen 02-15-2013 12:13 PM

Listen the only way to gain the horsepower when you have the cai is when you put the sticker on your window that's like 10hp right there...

overblown 02-15-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodfart (Post 3372179)
I think it's safe to say you've never seen a dyno graph, and like you, most people in this thread. Actual dyno tests have been done by a few forum users showing exactly were the improvements are to be had, if you'd actually look for them. I've reposted them in a bunch of threads and it's sad that the same bs missinformation continues rampantly...

The actual rampant bs is acting like spending hundreds of dollars on a part that might pick up a few hp you'll never even feel and in many cases filter worse than stock is a really great idea. That's the real bs. This a jeep wrangler. If you are looking for the added sound, that's cool but acting like a CAI is going to get you down the trail any faster, or better is just plain wrong. This isn't a supercharged cobra that will pick up 30hp or even my naturally aspirated corvette that picked up 14hp and 11tq with solid under the curve gains.

My point isn't that CAI on a jeep won't make ANY more power. My point is that, in my opinion they aren't worth the investment if more power is your main goal.

As far as having not seen dyno graphs :rofl::rofl: Wrong tree bud:thumb:

Dick Blonov 02-15-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodfart (Post 3372179)
I think it's safe to say you've never seen a dyno graph, and like you, most people in this thread.

There you go. :D

DB

ohioviper 02-15-2013 01:54 PM

For those of you that have ran a CAI for any length of time go pull off the intake pipe and wipe it with a tissue and see what your letting get into your engine.Coming from a CTD and Diesel trucks Ive seen lots of guys that dusted their turbo and engine with a CAI.

Stop and think about it.If its making more hp it has to be flowing more air and to flow more air it has to be substantially bigger or substantially doing less filtering.
I would never buy a used vehicle that has a CAI on it or would I put one on my vehicle. There are some exceptions. The large nano dry filters are ok but to get better than stock air flow it takes a massive filter. The other obvious downfall to CAI is water .The downside far exceeds any gains for me.

NFRs2000NYC 02-15-2013 02:01 PM

We've had these discussions countless times.

Here is the truth.

1) Cold air intakes, work, they are dyno proven, and don't void any warranty (the dealer can't prove anything with a CAI) other than hydrolocking.

2) This is the big one...there are no CAIs available for the JK. These companies claim they are CAIs, but they are NOT. They are simply intake boxes with covers removed. They do not source their air from a location where the ambient air is cold. As a matter of fact, they source their air from the top of the motor bay, aka, the hottest air possible, which generally leads to nothing but heat soak.

3) If you want a REAL cold air intake for your rig, get a snorkel.

NFRs2000NYC 02-15-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohioviper (Post 3372548)
For those of you that have ran a CAI for any length of time go pull off the intake pipe and wipe it with a tissue and see what your letting get into your engine.Coming from a CTD and Diesel trucks Ive seen lots of guys that dusted their turbo and engine with a CAI.

Stop and think about it.If its making more hp it has to be flowing more air and to flow more air it has to be substantially bigger or substantially doing less filtering.
I would never buy a used vehicle that has a CAI on it or would I put one on my vehicle. There are some exceptions. The large nano dry filters are ok but to get better than stock air flow it takes a massive filter. The other obvious downfall to CAI is water .The downside far exceeds any gains for me.

You can still engineer a filter to be more efficient, allowing more airflow and better filtration. Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between a premium air filter from today and a filter from the 1950s? The OEM filter material is nothing more than dryer sheets. You can absolutely improve on flow/filtration.

DJL2 02-15-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRubi12 (Post 3361252)
-Thanks

I'm always late to these it seems, but let me pose a counter question to you:

If you know nothing about Cold Air Intakes (CAI), on what basis did you decide you need one?

A further question:

If you have no idea about intakes, what are your expectations for the installation? Do you have performance or aesthetic goals in mind? Are you concerned with sound or price?

At best, you original question beckons open ended opinions re: personal feelings and the pros and cons of intakes in general. Also, on the off chance no one mentioned this: the most restrictive part of the JK intake is the manifold.

If you are serious about improving the performance of your Jeep there are a few other things you might want to consider first.

Fellows 02-15-2013 02:49 PM

I can't believe CAI is even discussed on Wrangler forums. It's such a negligible performance gain and there are so many other things to spend money on.

Gladi8r 02-15-2013 04:17 PM

Don't waste your money...

ohioviper 02-15-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC (Post 3372588)
You can still engineer a filter to be more efficient, allowing more airflow and better filtration..

Stop and think about that and get back to me on it.

The only way to improve air flow without decreasing filter efficiency is more surface area period.To get more surface area you need a bigger filter period.
Any filter of the same surface area to the stock filter that flows more air does not filter as well. Its not rocket science.And yes there are in fact elements that do a better job of filtering out dirt than the stock filter but they dont flow as well.

Another thing for you pro CAI folks.On most all modern vehicles the stock filter and intake is capable of flowing more air than the engine can consume unless it has been drastically altered from stock form.Yes you can see increased performance if you are in fact drawing cold air from outside the engine bay but in the case of the JK it does not. You are only increasing the odds of sucking in water and with some of the lesser quality filter elements you are ingesting more ppm of contaminants than your engine were designed to tolerate without increasing engine wear.

If you pull off your intake pipe and see light dusting you better be looking for a better filter .