Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Faded Fender Flares (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/faded-fender-flares-21908.html)

liveoutdoors3400 09-30-2008 09:55 PM

Faded Fender Flares
 
I recently bought a 2000 wrangler and the fender flares are looking a little faded. This is because the owner before me got wax on them. Any ideas on how to fix this and make them look new?

Jrzymilitia 09-30-2008 10:00 PM

Everything that is on the market says it will work and dont get me wrong it will work for about a month but I just got some plastic bound spray paint and they have looked brand new since I did it 4 years ago

ratherbfishin21 09-30-2008 10:16 PM

i got a 2000 tj with the same problem and i took my fender flares off and spray painted them black just like Jrzymilitia did and they made the whole jeep look a lot better

Tragic Magic 09-30-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrzymilitia (Post 268629)
Everything that is on the market says it will work and dont get me wrong it will work for about a month but I just got some plastic bound spray paint and they have looked brand new since I did it 4 years ago

I have the same problem and have been using Mothers Back to Black.And your right,good for about a month.

Think I'll try the paint myself,is it a dull finish paint?

Thanks,
Rex

Triple88a 09-30-2008 11:30 PM

the paint finish depends on the type of paint you use obviously. So far every one i've heard of has had good results with Krylon paints.

also its not wax that fades them.. its the crappy plastic that is used. Its normal. Make sure you clean them with some alcohol or whatever to remove any wax on them before you paint.

kEat 09-30-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tragic Magic (Post 268641)
I have the same problem and have been using Mothers Back to Black.And your right,good for about a month.

Think I'll try the paint myself,is it a dull finish paint?

Thanks,
Rex

Depends on the paint you use, really. I would suggest Krylon Fusion, its made for plastics. It gives kind of a semi-gloss finish.

I actually just replaced my flares today. I would have just painted them, but I needed the extra coverage to keep it inspectable.

GGA1759 09-30-2008 11:35 PM

My 2000 Sport fenders faded. I tried to keep them black, but couldn't. I just ended up buying some after market OEMs. Cheaper than the Mopar ones. Took a couple of hours to replace and some very dirty hands. Also you get to find out how bad the factory screwed up the screws, nuts, and bolts that they used to attach the fenders.
Cost me around $150 w/shipping for the fenders. What you decide to do will depend on how well you can live and continually maintain your faded fenders.

kEat 09-30-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGA1759 (Post 268669)
Took a couple of hours to replace and some very dirty hands. Also you get to find out how bad the factory screwed up the screws, nuts, and bolts that they used to attach the fenders.

Seriously. I thought mine were going to be a quick swap. Nope. Chysler had to use rivnuts... Nice, loose, spinning-in-place rivnuts.

GGA1759 09-30-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 268671)
Seriously. I thought mine were going to be a quick swap. Nope. Chysler had to use rivnuts... Nice, loose, spinning-in-place rivnuts.

Oh so then it just wasn't me. It was Chrysler! Those bastards! :flipoff:
I thought it was just my TJ. I had to get a rivet puller for the last two rivets on both sides of the rear fender. Thanks for sharing.

Triple88a 09-30-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 268671)
Seriously. I thought mine were going to be a quick swap. Nope. Chysler had to use rivnuts... Nice, loose, spinning-in-place rivnuts.

a set of vice grips work like charm :) grab the riv and screw away :D

kEat 09-30-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 268674)
a set of vice grips work like charm :) grab the riv and screw away :D

Thats what I ended up doing, but damn... I actually had to remove the battery to get to one in the front passengers side.

Luckily, my rear ones didn't spin at all. THAT would have been a bitch.

Giancarlo 09-30-2008 11:44 PM

use a heat gun... painting them is just another headache.. they will crack from road debris expecially ifyou mudd

Triple88a 09-30-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giancarlo (Post 268676)
use a heat gun... painting them is just another headache.. they will crack from road debris expecially ifyou mudd


Have you used the heat gun method? If yes, when did you heat them up?

i used it. They looked nice for 3 months. Currently they are worse than they were before i heated them up.

orange05tj 10-01-2008 04:33 AM

I think they look better faded, then again, I think this topic has been covered before.

Giancarlo 10-01-2008 06:38 AM

nopoe havent used it only seen it... but i have seen painted fenders... they look amazing... but once taken off road the debris kicked up from the tires just ruins them and makes them crack..

ebupp 10-01-2008 11:15 AM

I did the Krylon fusion paint method Semi-gloss. They look amazing, just like new. Make sure you rub them off good with some Mineral Spirits before you do it.

RatherBNarizona 10-01-2008 11:32 AM

I did the Krylon paint, very easy, very cheap
heres a link to my painted fender flares when I did it
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f115/pa...ers-19553.html

erickpl 10-01-2008 11:44 AM

Choices:
1- Back to Black type stuff - generally fades quickly
2- Replace with new OEM or aftermarket flares - can be pricey
3- Leave as is
4- wheel and cover with mud
5- repaint with Krylon Fusion (usually Satin Black) for Plastics
6- Gatorback - used for Chevy Avalanches - kinda like Linex for plastic and used on fenders, flares, tonneau covers, etc. A bit pricier, but should hold up well.

With 5 and 6, the quality of the application depends ENTIRELY upon the prep work to accept the paint/gatorback. If you don't clean them well and get residues off, they'll flake and look like crap quite quickly. Soap/water, dry, then rubbing alcohol is a great start. If you find any other surface cleaners to remove residues, that would help too. Gatorback actually has a cleaner/prep solution that is meant to clean all residues off the surface to be treated. I have can of that and 2 cans of the Gatorback to apply to my fenders. It looks incredible on my Avalanche and will soon be going on my fenders. It just isn't high on my list right now. :)

Tragic Magic 10-01-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatherBNmexico (Post 268766)
I did the Krylon paint, very easy, very cheap
heres a link to my painted fender flares when I did it
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f115/pa...ers-19553.html

Very good looking job!

Rex

Triple88a 10-01-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 268692)
I think they look better faded, then again, I think this topic has been covered before.

No it hasn't, the search doesnt show a thing. :bottom:

Anyhow here is the heat gun method. They lookED very nice but currently they look like a zebra. Light here, black there. (fronts are painted, rears are heated)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSCF0021.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSCF0022.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSCF0026.jpg

orange05tj 10-01-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 268910)
No it hasn't, the search doesnt show a thing. :bottom:

Anyhow here is the heat gun method. They lookED very nice but currently they look like a zebra. Light here, black there. (fronts are painted, rears are heated)

Jeep Wrangler Forum - Search Results

take your pick. :bottom:

Triple88a 10-01-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange05tj (Post 268921)
take your pick. :bottom:

I pick this one :wavey:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/fade...res-21908.html

orange05tj 10-01-2008 04:59 PM

:rofl: nice one.

RatherBNarizona 10-01-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tragic Magic (Post 268778)
Very good looking job!

Rex

thanks :wavey:

Triple88a 10-01-2008 05:21 PM

Rex the guy with the rainbow hair did it not him


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.