Check gauges, battery not charging.
Jeep wrangler 1997 4cyl 2.5l 150,000miles. Fixed exhaust leak and o2 sensor before all this.
Not really sure where to start but I will talk in short bursts.
-One year ago my check gauges kept coming on for reasons unknown and about 6 or so months of driving I noticed the 13-14v battery gauge on the dash went to 9v(in the red).
-Replaced battery, replaced alternator, replaced battery cables to battery.
-Nothing worked so the vehicle has sat for about a year with me starting the jeep ever so often.
-Took it to the jeep dealership and paid about 1200$ to fix the distribution center which they had to rig themselves since the distribution center was not available anywhere. They also replaced and hooked up a new PCM. I am talking with them, but hopefully someone here might know the problem.
-The jeep place told me what was happening, but I am not sure how much of my crappy work they actually checked. They also said I got a great output and everything was fine.
-After leaving the jeep place the voltage on the dash finally read about 14v and then AGAIN in about a mile the dash read 13v then 9v(red). Again the dash has not read 14v in awhile, but since I left the jeep place it has remained at 13v then 9v, never again reaching 14v.
-I got home and tested the battery and it read 12.3v and fluctuating, while the vehicle was running and after I drove the jeep from the dealership roughly 8miles.
-After charging the battery and a day later I drove( .4 miles) and the voltage went from 13v to 9v on the dash, but remained 12.8v to 12.7v until I hit about 2.4miles and then the voltaged decreased to 12.3v and 12.28v and when I got home at about 3 miles the voltage read 12.17v. The voltage never increased. The voltage mostly fluctuated then decreased. I felt like the jeep was loosing power at some points, but lights and radio seemed OK and bright.
-When the vehicle is sitting and has not ran I get 12.3v from meter.
-I moved my ground and still nothing works. I had sanded the metal part above the wheel and made a ground since the bolt on the firewall had broke, but now I moved the negative battery ground to the firewall where the small bar goes across the engine. Not sure if all jeeps have the thin bar, but there are two of them going from front of jeep to firewall. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
-Is there anything I can check out? Is the ground bad? Why would the jeep place test good, but then the jeep does the same thing it has been doing for a year?
-Battery was tested today and good, I have also pulled the alternator a few times and has always tested good.
-I am wondering if the jeep place didn't check my wiring job.
-Again I have the positive cable running from battery to fuse, and battery to whatever bolt is furthest under the car. Starter maybe? Neg cable is going to thin bar and firewall, and second ground is going to side mount on engine. I have also cleaned all spots since the were covered in dirt and grime.
-I am worried to drive the jeep, because the voltage is dropping and the signs of failure have not changed.
-Anything else I could check or look up? I am worried that doing all this probably caused the first PCM to go haywire. :doh:
-I ignored the signs after replacing all parts but the PCM and when I drove roughly 16miles I noticed everything getting dimmer until everything died. That was becauseI was driving solely off the battery of course.
-One more thing is that I have been driving the battery to60% or so before the PCM was fixed, and before I got the PCM replaced I forgot the battery was charging and It was probably charging at 12v for about a day. The other day when I drove it home after PCM was fixed the battery on the charger read 90%, the 90% stayed that way on 12v charge. I messed with the charger and the battery slowly made its way to 100%. Messed up thing is the battery tested fine a pep boys?
Any takers, please ask me anything.
-I also need an oil change, fuel filter change, the jeep has been sitting and spark plugs. Would this be a major issue with the voltage.
-I am trying to think of everything so sorry about the long rant, this is driving me nuts........Would the viper alarm or stereo cause this much of an issue?
Thank you for anyones time:surrender::confused::facepalm:
Good day mate
Replace your battery temperature sensor, it is under the battery mounted in the battery tray, don't try and bridge it out, cos that won't work
PCM issue and now it is fixed.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.