Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Long Beach, California (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/long-beach-california-219162.html)

gonyea_1 02-13-2013 12:48 PM

Long Beach, California

Where are the closest trails to Long Beach?

Idriveoverstuff 02-13-2013 12:57 PM

Cleghorn... About an hour off the 15

Big bear... A lot but due to the drama it mite be difficult..

I have the week off, looking for some day fun. Hit me up

Idriveoverstuff 02-13-2013 01:03 PM

Around trabuco canyon is the northern great devide I've always wanted to do.. Take a look at dirtopia.com I'm in Huntington Beach and always down. Hit me up

gonyea_1 02-13-2013 01:09 PM

I've done main divide road a few times. I like to camp at Bluejay Campground. It's first come first serve. Wildomar is right there too. It's more for dirt bikes and quads but I took my YJ through it no problem. Guess I'm just looking for more options. I'm always down too on the weekends. We should definitely hook up.

Idriveoverstuff 02-13-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonyea_1
I've done main divide road a few times. I like to camp at Bluejay Campground. It's first come first serve. Wildomar is right there too. It's more for dirt bikes and quads but I took my YJ through it no problem. Guess I'm just looking for more options. I'm always down too on the weekends. We should definitely hook up.

How is main divide? How long did it take you? And where do you start it?

Gunner 02-13-2013 02:37 PM

Holy Jim has some rock gardens on both sides if you go in a ways. And there is a pretty good side trail about a half mile in on the North side. Steep with Jack knife turns and ruts.

Idriveoverstuff 02-13-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner
Holy Jim has some rock gardens on both sides if you go in a ways. And there is a pretty good side trail about a half mile in on the North side. Steep with Jack knife turns and ruts.

Holy Jim is regulated now. Some people have been pulled out at gun point and arrested, trucks impounded. Holy Jim is now off limita

Gunner 02-13-2013 02:46 PM

Dang that is a bummer.

Idriveoverstuff 02-13-2013 02:57 PM

Was there yesterday and they have blocked off all the trail heads, all the way till the air field. A friend of mine knows one of the property owners and says its really bad now. Plus there was a memorial on the main road. Don't know if the death has anything to do with it but without getting into the messy details, it appears they really don't want anyone messing around.

Gunner 02-13-2013 03:20 PM

Guess i'll be crossing that one off my list. Thanks for the info.
Bob

gonyea_1 02-13-2013 03:23 PM

I was afraid that might be the case right now due to the whole manhunt thing. That sucks about Holy Jim though. Been wanting to do that one. Is there anything like at the end of the 605 or Irvine Lake area? I went to Azuza I think it's called but wasn't really impressed. Seemed like the only thing to do there was mud bog.

gonyea_1 02-13-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriveoverstuff (Post 3363709)

How is main divide? How long did it take you? And where do you start it?

I stat off the 74. There's some off spurs like Indian truck road and you can go to Beeks place (Tons of bees). Takes a few hours. Maybe 4-6.

kawa001 02-13-2013 03:37 PM

This post caught my eye. My bro lives in Long Beach. I imagine there might be stuff in Orange County in the hills. I grew up in San Jacinto. My friends and I had many happy hours riding the fire roads in the San Jacinto mountains and around Anza. Anza Borrego was excellent. Later, when I was in the Army I was stationed in Kern County. My wife and I had a great time exploring fire roads around Lake Isabella, the Piute Mountains to the south and BLM desert to the east. I have no idea as to current conditions these days though.

BRANDONT 02-13-2013 04:29 PM

I live one street away from holy Jim's

It really isn't fun anymore
They have pretty much graded the road and blocked off almost all of the side trails
Unless its raining and you want to play in some mud it's really not even worth the drive anymore

gonyea_1 02-14-2013 10:18 PM

Anyone know of any trails by Irvine Lake? Looking at Google maps it looks like there might be some trails over there. Hoping someone might have some insight on that area.

BRANDONT 02-15-2013 12:06 AM

There is Santiago peak

I've never done it the gates are usually closed but I'm always up for some exploring

jk rob 02-15-2013 01:00 AM

i have a place in twin peaks which is about 5 minutes from lake arrowhead.i live in lakewood which is close to long beach.it takes about an hour or so to get there. once you get there there are so many trails up there from mild to wild.hope this helps.might even be willing to rent out my place if you want to make a weekend of it

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk rob (Post 3371039)
i have a place in twin peaks which is about 5 minutes from lake arrowhead.i live in lakewood which is close to long beach.it takes about an hour or so to get there. once you get there there are so many trails up there from mild to wild.hope this helps.might even be willing to rent out my place if you want to make a weekend of it

I might take you up on that. Think I'm gonna let it cool down up there at least another week after the Dorner incident though. Lol. You are super close to me though. We should definitely hook up. Been looking for some jeepers close to me.

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDONT (Post 3370960)
There is Santiago peak

I've never done it the gates are usually closed but I'm always up for some exploring

I've done Santiago peak a few times. Love it. Always down to go back. Have to see if it's open. I did it twice last summer.

dbsanders 02-15-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDONT (Post 3370960)
There is Santiago peak

Just bought a Jeep in November, and have been watching for the gates to open!
Cleveland National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Does that page tell me every gate/road I need? Probably go up Maple Springs (since I'm in OC) and hit North Main Divide.

BRANDONT 02-15-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsanders (Post 3372149)

Does that page tell me every gate/road I need? Probably go up Maple Springs (since I'm in OC) and hit North Main Divide.

a buddy of mine goes up there pretty often
He said he just goes up Santiago road and make the last right you can before you go to Irvine lake.
I think that might be black star
and take that all the way up and you should be there
i'm interested in going out there some time
When are you looking to do this

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsanders (Post 3372149)

I've always gone in off the 74. The road going to Lake Elsinore. That page is great though. Beeks place, Indian truck trail, and I think Skyline are all off shoots of main divide road. Too bad their all closed right now.

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDONT (Post 3372197)

a buddy of mine goes up there pretty often
He said he just goes up Santiago road and make the last right you can before you go to Irvine lake.
I think that might be black star
and take that all the way up and you should be there
i'm interested in going out there some time
When are you looking to do this

I play hockey on Saturday nights. So Sunday's are usually best for me. I would be down to head out to Irvine Lake this weekend and see what we can find.

dbsanders 02-15-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonyea_1 (Post 3372227)
I've always gone in off the 74. The road going to Lake Elsinore. That page is great though. Beeks place, Indian truck trail, and I think Skyline are all off shoots of main divide road. Too bad their all closed right now.

Getting to the Peak is easy too right? Like with a Stock TJ hopefully?

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbsanders (Post 3372271)

Getting to the Peak is easy too right? Like with a Stock TJ hopefully?

Stock would be fine.

BRANDONT 02-15-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonyea_1 (Post 3372269)
I play hockey on Saturday nights. So Sunday's are usually best for me. I would be down to head out to Irvine Lake this weekend and see what we can find.

thats fine I have rugby on saturdays so sunday works best for me too.
i have something from 12 to 1 this sunday but after that i'm free

gonyea_1 02-15-2013 09:34 PM

Looks like everything is closed in the Trabuco Canyon area. I would like to go up the Maple Springs Rd. route though. Will have to keep an eye on it.

jk rob 02-16-2013 01:26 AM

sounds good. i live by mafair high school and was born and raised in long beach.been around the area all my life.

jk rob 02-16-2013 01:34 AM

sorry if my last post was off topic. kinda new to the forum game

Idriveoverstuff 02-16-2013 12:26 PM

Trabuco is off limits now. If you head to arrow head, big bear, Santiago peak Etc we will tag along