Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Differentials (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/differentials-219266.html)

NJK 02-13-2013 06:48 PM

Differentials

I was informed briefly by my uncle today, that after so many inches of lift, i will need to adjust my differentials and gear ratios. Can someone with more knowledge go a little more in depth with this idea?:popcorn:

freeskier 02-13-2013 06:55 PM

Your axles and gear ratios could care less about your lift height...

They are however going to care what size tires you have.

DutchmansLJ 02-13-2013 07:02 PM

Yes they will matter with tires and pinion angle as well

Jaxon1023 02-13-2013 07:11 PM

Only thing your differential cares about with a suspension lift is pinion angle. Larger tires and gearing will come into play

NJK 02-14-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxon1023 (Post 3365171)
Only thing your differential cares about with a suspension lift is pinion angle. Larger tires and gearing will come into play

So if I put 33s on and a 3.25" suspension lift, would that cause issues for me?

jp2611 02-14-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJK (Post 3369716)
So if I put 33s on and a 3.25" suspension lift, would that cause issues for me?

Maybe...depends on the way the lift is done the type of lift done and whether it is a BB, BL, SL or a combination of some of these.

Bottom line if you run bigger tires you will want to regear.

mossyoakwrangler 02-14-2013 05:56 PM

The higher you go the more you need to adjust pinion angle. Or go the cheap way out and drop the tcase

NJK 02-14-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3369732)

Maybe...depends on the way the lift is done the type of lift done and whether it is a BB, BL, SL or a combination of some of these.

Bottom line if you run bigger tires you will want to regear.

Is regearing something I can do myself if I do my homework?

NJK 02-14-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler (Post 3369756)
The higher you go the more you need to adjust pinion angle. Or go the cheap way out and drop the tcase

Ive heard some not so nice things about dropping the transfer case. Haveyou by chance run into these obstacles?

mossyoakwrangler 02-14-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJK (Post 3369809)

Ive heard some not so nice things about dropping the transfer case. Haveyou by chance run into these obstacles?

Haha you have no idea. I had a 4 inch lift with 33s and i ended up blowing my rear end and bending my output shaft with the tcase drop. So i rebuilt the rear end, and got a sye kit and cv shaft and adjustable control arms. Doing the tcase is like life support. You're on borrowed time

Cons_Table 02-14-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJK (Post 3369802)
Is regearing something I can do myself if I do my homework?

Most likely not. It's a very precise task that requires some special tools. If you don't get it right, you could fry your differentials. Unless you have some experience in this area and have the tools, you are better off having a pro do them. At least if something craps out, you arent the one stuck fixing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJK (Post 3369809)

What sorts of things? The biggest problem with lowering the TC is that it robs your ground clearance...so the majority of the clearance you gain with bigger tires (after a lift) is robbed by a TC drop.

Cons_Table 02-14-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler (Post 3369836)
Haha you have no idea. I had a 4 inch lift with 33s and i ended up blowing my rear end and bending my output shaft with the tcase drop. So i rebuilt the rear end, and got a sye kit and cv shaft and adjustable control arms. Doing the tcase is like life support. You're on borrowed time

I think this is the first time I have ever heard about something like this :eek: how does the TC drop cause all of this havoc? I know guys running them that have never had a problem :popcorn:

mossyoakwrangler 02-14-2013 06:33 PM

You might not have a problem but of you lift it and put bigger tires on it the drop will take vibes out maybe it maybe not. Either way it still stresses your u joints out. It's easier if you have the money to do the sye cv shaft control arms all in one that way you have your true amount of lift without belly sag and the tougher drive line setup

Cons_Table 02-14-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler (Post 3369874)
You might not have a problem but of you lift it and put bigger tires on it the drop will take vibes out maybe it maybe not. Either way it still stresses your u joints out. It's easier if you have the money to do the sye cv shaft control arms all in one that way you have your true amount of lift without belly sag and the tougher drive line setup

Agreed on the fact that it may or may not stop the vibes. However, I guess the question I am asking is, IF it does stop the vibes, how does it stress the U-joints any more than normal?

NJK 02-14-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mossyoakwrangler (Post 3369836)

Hahaha all the more reason not to cut corners, ill look into the math behind it. Hopefully it doesnt cost me a fortune to figure out lol

mossyoakwrangler 02-15-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cons_Table (Post 3369884)

Agreed on the fact that it may or may not stop the vibes. However, I guess the question I am asking is, IF it does stop the vibes, how does it stress the U-joints any more than normal?

It may stop vibes but your pinion angle may not be correct which can stress them. My buddy had a tj drive around without vibes. After about 3 to 4 months it slowly started vibrating. Same thing happened to my Jeep before balancer fell off. I may not be right but i strongly disagree with the t case drop with a 4 inch lift. Besides why lift it 4 inches just to lower your tcase 2 inches?