Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Sway bar and/or track bar removal. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/sway-bar-and-or-track-bar-removal-219422.html)

The Silver Gorilla 02-14-2013 01:20 PM

Sway bar and/or track bar removal.

Now im thinking of undergoing a project. Making quick disconnects for my sway bar. now a few question. Can i just replace the pin? or will i have to replace the stock sway bar itself? Now i have heard bad things about removing the track bar, also heard that if your going to disconnect your sway bar, that that's enough to help climb over things. Mind you this is my daily driver thats why i like the quick disconnects for my YJ. Plz give me some feedback and will take pics when i start the project. OHH ALSO ANY ADVICE THAT YOU HAVE ON THIS PROJECTS IS APPRECIATED.:Thanx:

jokerchief462 02-14-2013 01:32 PM

QDsa for the sway bar are the way to go so it just takes pull the pins and your ready for the trail. But they need to installed when you return to the road. Trac Bars can be removed by choice. Mine have been removed permanently and I love it. For a DD you will have to try and see what YOU prefer.

denisbaldwin 02-14-2013 01:33 PM

The general consensus is that you should remove your track bars front and back regardless. They do nothing for you.

The sway bars you can leave on, do quick disconnects or take off entirely. I took mine off entirely. Leave them on with discos if you do a lot of freeway driving or if you often have to make sudden turns.

The Silver Gorilla 02-14-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 3368664)
The general consensus is that you should remove your track bars front and back regardless. They do nothing for you.

The sway bars you can leave on, do quick disconnects or take off entirely. I took mine off entirely. Leave them on with discos if you do a lot of freeway driving or if you often have to make sudden turns.

im on the highway alot so imma do the disconnects. What does a track bar do for the jeep?:confused:

denisbaldwin 02-14-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Silver Gorilla (Post 3368763)
im on the highway alot so imma do the disconnects. What does a track bar do for the jeep?:confused:

Binds up the leafs so they can't flex right. They have zero positive benefit.

Denis

Beachcruiser 02-14-2013 02:08 PM

Theoretically, track bars make the jeep more stable in high-speed panic situations where you need to change direction immediately. They locate the axle more positively than leaf springs alone & supposedly keep the steering more accurate.

Common thinking is that they were a case of overkill engineeering in response to the CJ rollover scare in the 70/80s.

The Silver Gorilla 02-14-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisbaldwin (Post 3368775)
Binds up the leafs so they can't flex right. They have zero positive benefit.

Denis

what would i have to do just cut em off? is it just that easy? lol

Beachcruiser 02-14-2013 02:43 PM

Yep. I didn't even unbolt mine......3 minutes w/ a sawzall = done.

The Silver Gorilla 02-14-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcruiser (Post 3368925)
Yep. I didn't even unbolt mine......3 minutes w/ a sawzall = done.

Now Their are two right? one in back and front?

Xpress 02-14-2013 03:47 PM

^Yes, one front and one rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcruiser (Post 3368778)
Theoretically, track bars make the jeep more stable in high-speed panic situations where you need to change direction immediately. They locate the axle more positively than leaf springs alone & supposedly keep the steering more accurate.

The swaybar does a good enough job on its own of keeping the body parallel to the axles. At this point, the Track Bars are overly redundant with leaf springs.

The Silver Gorilla 02-14-2013 03:49 PM

Going to go get the pins, and try and get this done this weekend

Gunz n tractorz 02-14-2013 04:21 PM

If I don't have a sway bar on should I take either of the track bars off?

The Silver Gorilla 02-15-2013 06:01 PM

Any advice on taking these bars off?

Tyler92yj 02-15-2013 06:06 PM

pb blaster

The Silver Gorilla 02-15-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler92yj (Post 3373746)
pb blaster

plz explain?

Xpress 02-15-2013 07:01 PM

He is trying to say to use PB blaster on the nuts to loosen them up.

denisbaldwin 02-18-2013 04:18 AM

Heat, PB Blaster, Impact Gun. That's how I ended up getting mine off, as they were rusted into place.