Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   T-Case problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/t-case-problems-219519.html)

joeylead 02-14-2013 10:29 PM

T-Case problems

Ok so i just got my jeep, its a 97, 5spd, 4.0, no SYE. Has a 4" lift with a t-case drop. When i go it seems as though the 4wd worked. well it just snowed and i realized that it was not engaging. so here is whats happening, i put it in 4 hi (indicator comes on)and the fronts do not engage. then i get a sound like gears now meshing (like a clutch grinding) and i have to take it out of 4wd. I tried 4 lo. felt like the front engaged, by made a few banging noises and i had to take it out of 4wd.

got home. lifted the front tires off the ground rears on the ground. in 2hi, could turn the tires. when i would turn one, the driveshaft turned but the other tire didnt. when i turned the the driveshaft, both tires turned in the same direction. so i am guessing a shaft isnt broken.

in 4hi, driveshaft was turning with the front tires, did the same with the truck in neutral or in gear. in 4lo, could not turn the tires with it in gear. in neutral i could ( i think).

my buddy thinks that it could be the t-case linkage not being adjusted properly after the t-case drop. I didnt measure the drop but it looks to be at least a 1" spacer. could it just be an adjustment? if it is any timps on how to adjust it properly? or am i looking at a rebuild. I mean, i do need to install a sye, but wasnt planning to at this point. just would mean no winch yet. in 2hi, the jeep drives perfectly.

thanks for any advice guys.

joeylead 02-15-2013 08:17 AM

Morning bump....

Rubicondon53 02-15-2013 08:53 AM

Novack makes the bracket to re align your linkage... The odds that your t-case needs rebuilding is as good as lightning striking you, indoors on a sunny day, unless, of course, you have been abusing it, in that case anything will fall apart..

joeylead 02-15-2013 12:25 PM

ha ha ha, awesome response...lol. i actually just downloaded a few good pics of the linkage bracket and how things are supposed to look after the install so i will check when i get home. but thanks for the info about Novack in case i need that part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3371483)
Novack makes the bracket to re align your linkage... The odds that your t-case needs rebuilding is as good as lightning striking you, indoors on a sunny day, unless, of course, you have been abusing it, in that case anything will fall apart..

joeylead 02-15-2013 10:55 PM

Well I checked it all out and adjusted the linkage and it seems to be fine now

Rubicondon53 02-16-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeylead
Well I checked it all out and adjusted the linkage and it seems to be fine now

Ha ha !! Good !! that's what I love about jeeps.. 99% of the time it's an easy fix that we can all do ourselves.!! Even the difficult jobs can be done with a few basic tools !! Good job dude !!

jp2611 02-16-2013 05:27 AM

Glad you got it fixed....suggestion/ reminder (don't do what I did) when you get your SYE and TT and take off the T case drop add the Novack shifter or plan to "re-adjust" your linkage it may "seem fine" till you get it out on the trail...than you won't have 4lo....(ask me how I know):banghead:

joeylead 02-16-2013 09:01 AM

Yeah jeeps are pretty easy to work on. Mich easier that the toyotas j used to have. The bigger issue by me is rust. Well now my next repair is a front ujoint, then I get to start working on my 8.8 swap