Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   How Did You End Up In a Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/how-did-you-end-up-in-a-jeep-219599.html)

Waregle 02-15-2013 11:47 AM

How Did You End Up In a Jeep

Thought it would be cool to see how everyone got their first jeep.

Here is my story:

I was in the market for a new vehicle. A jeep was not on the radar. However I noticed one on the CarMax lot. I liked it because it looked a little beefier than most stock Jeeps (No lift or anything like that, just beefier). On the way home I noticed another one at the jeep dealership. They both looked the same other than color….the first one had 87,000 and second had 122,000 (Both 2005).

I didn’t know squat about jeeps but I always wanted one. And I kept thinking about those two. So, one day at the bar with the boys, I told them I would be right back. A few minutes later I am at Carmax…..it was sold. Few more minutes later I was at the jeep dealership. Just my luck someone was looking at it. I asked if he was going to buy it…and he said no. I said “good, because I am”. $1500 down after a test drive I was a proud jeep owner.

This is the blind luck part. So now I join the forum and I am learning all about jeeps and the different models. Mine has no stickers or anything like that, so I wasn’t sure. I just knew it was a wrangler. So when I got the VIN and called the insurance company, sure enough it came back as a Rubicon. I was like wow. Checked the axels, D44 front and rear. I should have played lotto because these things don’t happen to me.

Six months later and $4000+ worth of mods, I am one happy dude. I got really lucky though. Now that I know more, I have inspected it better (albeit too late because I own it). No rust, transmission or engine issues. I paid $14,500 for it which was the same price as the other jeep that had 87,000 miles. I assume it was a Rubi as well. Maybe I am a winner after all……nah…just not the biggest loser.

aaronarmenta 02-15-2013 11:59 AM

I've always hunted and enjoyed the outdoors, but my first car was a 1998 honda civic. Obviously this limited my abilities to go out on my own, I always had to ask my dad or my brother to use their trucks and theyd always hassle me.I didnt buy the honda, it was given to me for free when I turned 16, but it didnt run. A head gasket, timing belt, water pump, thermometer and alternator later, I had a running honda. Doing all that was the first work I had ever done on a car (obviously had lots of help from my dad) and afterwards I had found myself being somewhat of a gearhead. I was always thinking about putting parts on the honda but there was no way under any circumstance I wasgoing to be a ricer. So I left it stock.

Fast forward 2 years and I had the itch to get a 4 wheel drive. I didnt like the idea of a full size truck just to go on daylong hunting trips, so I started looking into jeeps. Realizing I could customize a jeep with aftermarket products and not look like an idiot, I was sold. My dad and I started a search and in just a few months we had found my 1999 4.0l 5speed tj with 130000 miles. I could not be happier and theyre is no way ill ever be without a jeep ever again .

PStov98TJ 02-15-2013 12:13 PM

When I was 14 I begged and begged my mom to buy me a Jeep. I was absolutely dead set on them. One night after one of my football games we passed a used car dealership that had just put out a new white TJ and I pleaded to go look at it that saturday morning. Well we woke up and called the dealership and they said they'd have it ready in an hour because they still needed to wash and wax it as they had just gotten it. So around 11 we went to the dealership and looked at it. It was 1998 TJ with 31's already on it! It was exactly what I was hoping for, but we still weren't sure if we were going to buy it, until we learned it only had 57,000 miles on it! After a quick test drive with my mom with the windows off and the radio on, she was hooked too and I was the happiest boy alive. We agreed on a price of 8,900 and the Jeep was sold! He said that was the fastest he's ever sold a car, less than 24 hours. I'm 20 now and I still have that Jeep. I plan to buy it from my parents when I finish college and keep it for the rest of my life so my family (when I'm married and all that jazz) can enjoy it one day too. It's one of the best things my parents ever did for me. Every mod that is on it I paid for and installed myself. My best friend is also into Jeeps so when ever one of us has a mod to do we head over to his families shop and put it on. I hope that one day I can instill the love for Jeeps into one of my kids and that other kids who are getting Jeeps from their parents appreciate it as much as I do.

Patrick H 02-15-2013 12:28 PM

For me, it started in about 1979, when my Dad bought his first Jeep, a '73 CJ5 232 T15. My Brother bought his first Jeep (52 Willy's pickup) in the late 80's, and very soon after, he bought his '63CJ5. I bought my first CJ5 (67) in 1996. I've had 3 other CJ5's as well. My Dad did a frame-up build on his '67 Tuxedo Park, completed about 10 years ago. I bought my TJ a year ago last November, and dad bought his '06 Rubicon a few months after. My Dad and brother both still have their CJ's, but they don't get driven anymore.

Dextreme 02-15-2013 12:47 PM

I had wanted a Wrangler for a long time and I was driving my Dodge Dually every day....still love it! But if I was going to something different, it had to be fun, hence and TJ.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...-17-44_461.jpg

Had to fit in the trailer too:

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...2-40-55_95.jpg

YjKalamity 02-15-2013 12:59 PM

When I was about 10 my Uncle bought a 92 Renegade, and we would take it out camping every now and then. I didn't think much of it at the time because I was more interested in sitting on my butt and playing video games. Fast forward 7 years and I find myself driving a 98 Buick Park Avenue Supercharged. I needed my brakes done one day and as I was driving over to the shop a little light bulb went off in my head "my Uncle works on cars, I should get him show me how to do stuff". So anyway, my Uncle starts showing me how to do basic maintenance whenever I need it done. For my 21st birthday, unlike most people I didn't go out to the bar and get white girl wasted, I went camping in the desert with my cousin, and what did we bring with us? The Jeep. I learned to drive stick that day and I had an incredible time. A few months later I wanted to go on another desert trip for spring break, unfortunately my Uncle wouldn't let us take the Jeep because it needed some work done. We go camping for a few days and when we get back I look at my cousin and say "I'm going to buy a Jeep". Less than a day later I sold my car and found myself driving a 93 Wrangler. I was/am obsessed. I found the forums the very next day, and began reading everything I could. This Jeep pretty much pushed me over the edge and made me a gear head. My YJ ended up getting totaled and I ended up getting an 05 Wrangler to replace it. I've only had this Jeep for about 4 months now, but there are big plans for this little Jeep.

jbw23 02-15-2013 12:59 PM

I had a Chevrolet Blazer as my first car and I was in the market for a truck, I had gone to all the dealerships in town and didnt find anything. Then I went to the Jeep Dealership and found a 2002 wrangler on 31's with 80,000 miles and fell in love instantly. I waited til they fixed a few things that needed fix then bought it the day it was ready for $10k

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/...dd333de055.jpg

XwXCHADWICKYXwX 02-15-2013 01:12 PM

Back in July my dad and I were looking for a truck because that's what I wanted and had saved up for. Then one day he took me to one of his work friends who is a contractor and does car sales on the side. We pull up and the first two vehicles i noticed were a dodge 4x4 and a Chevy Silverado. After test diving them and noticing all the problems they had I wasnt really interested in them. At that point my dad tells me the guy has had a TJ parked behind his garage ( hidden from the rest of the vehicles) for about 3-4 years. Instantly I wanted to go check it out and a sort walk later there it was. Took it for a test drive through a swamp in the guys back yard then on the streets. Most everything checked out so 3 days later I went and picked it up and drove it home ( only the second time I've drove standard).
This is what it looked like when I got home
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...psaf2a812a.jpg

TJ6 02-15-2013 01:20 PM

I ended up in a jeep cause a girl i dated in high school had one that could run circles around my lifted f150 in the mud, now i have a yj, tj and xj all sitting in my driveway.

PStov98TJ 02-15-2013 01:29 PM

And we all know that chicks love Jeeps anyway so that's reason enough to get one!

Neltronic 02-15-2013 01:29 PM

I moved to SoCal from Chicago. It was the only logical choice to get a Jeep. Plus I'd always kinda wanted one as a kid.

Imped 02-15-2013 01:34 PM

Bought it because I wanted a 4wd vehicle that would be fun in all seasons. Didn't care about wheeling, didn't care about modifying it.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...15190_5143.jpg

Boy, did that change.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...213_091401.jpg

ninjaturtle0 02-15-2013 01:38 PM

Had a Dodge Neon out of high school back in 2000... Wanted a Jeep and ended up with a Liberty (don't ask why lol) got rid of it in a few months bc of the car payment. Then when I started making money got an Infiniti in 2007 with the type of people I was hanging with the luxury cars are the trend (peer pressure but hell what they think now!!!) but one of my best friends who wasn't part of the crowd had a royal blue beat up tj modded it was sick... he took me off roading with him and let me drive it around with top and doors off no carpet and empty beer cans in the back it was too much fun and I was got the Jeep bug again!!

JK's were out but didn't like em so I was on the market for a good used TJ... Friend passed away before I finally found my TJ but he showed me to appreciate the simple things in life and man it would be so cool if we could of went trailing together...

Waregle 02-15-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 3372478)
Bought it because I wanted a 4wd vehicle that would be fun in all seasons. Didn't care about wheeling, didn't care modifying it.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...15190_5143.jpg

Boy, did that change.
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...213_091401.jpg

LMAO!!! :rofl:

TXJKJEEPGIRL 02-15-2013 01:51 PM

ive always wanted a jeep, i was in the market for a 2nd vehicle so that my mom could get to and from her dr appointments, i started out thinking of a jeep (always wanted one) then thought, lets do a truck, then a car, then when almost signing on a car the lights at the dealership went out, so i went home with nothing, got home looked at a dealership website and found my jeep there, so the next day, drove out of town to look at her, had my hubby test drive her (i didnt know how to drive stick then, but always thought if i get a jeep it will be stick) that was back in october, took me until november to be comfortable, and now here we are. :) i love her.

cgreed87 02-15-2013 02:02 PM

My buddy pulled up one day in a Wrangler that his friend let him take a chick out on a date with (top down in the summer) and I was hooked.

I found a 1998 2.5l with no mods that was real clean, almost looked new, and only had 40,000 miles on it (this was in 2003). The seller was trying to get rid of the Jeep, as it was his son's first car but he had just surprised him with a new BMW for graduating college. Lucky for me, this guy was so rich he just wanted to get rid of the Jeep as soon as possible and I was the first guy that called him. :thumb: After the first test drive, I paid him $6000 in cash and picked it up the next day.

10 years later, the Jeep is still my favorite set of wheels. I have an 10' Altima and a 05' CBR600F4, but I would give both up in a heart beat for my 98' TJ.

It's a Jeep thing... they really don't understand :cool:

Shifty219 02-15-2013 02:09 PM

My lease was up on my wife 08 Mustang so when it went back (that's was a sad day) I bought her a 08 Nitro, 4dr 4wd suv for her and our kids but I wasn't happy with it(started to show problems and it was just crap quality) so last month I traded the Nitro in and bought her a 2013 JKU Sport S. So here I am because I have an addiction to modifying

TJDave 02-15-2013 02:20 PM

I rode dirtbikes for 30+ years. We would go riding and camping in the Mountains of Washington State every summer. Lots of bike, quad, and Jeep trails. We would sometimes ride the Jeep trails and watch the different Jeeps climbing hills and going by. I thought it looked like fun, and I have always wanted a Jeep since I was a kid.

Luck finally caught up with me, and I shattered my wrist in a bad wreck on the bike. So, I sold the bikes and bought a Jeep. :)

Annienaaron09 02-15-2013 02:30 PM

We buy salvage cars off an auction to fix up, I told my husband I wanted a wrangler, we had 5 jeeps between us, his first car was a wrangler when we started dating when we were 16. Well he went to the auction and brought back a loaded Durango, I want impressed so 3 months later I drove an hour away to look at one while he was at work and drove it home, needless to say he loves it too, now we are trying to sell the Durango :)

Rolly32 02-15-2013 02:34 PM

I was looking for my first daily driver for a while. At first I wanted a 2002 camaro since I'm big on drag racing. I wanted to build a pro street daily driver. I was tight on money at the time so I went to one of my dad's friends asking if he had any connections where I can get a cheap camaro at. He happened to own a jeep lot so a jeep was out of the question for me. He actually brought me into the lot and told me to pick any jeep I wanted.. I repeatedly telling him I only have 4k cash in hand. He said that was fine, pick out a jeep!

So I picked my 2003 tj, and bought it for 4.5k. Apparently the repoman was coming for it, so he used part of my money to pay the remainder of it and let me have the jeep for 4500. Of course, it was stock at the time. I have already installed a lift on it, 33s, etc.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37237560_n.jpg

My camaro is my drag car with a 5 gallon fuel cell. No where near DD material but I got tired of being pulled over by LEO's and having to explain the drag slicks, roll cage, and other non sense driving on the street..

Jeffreybomb 02-15-2013 02:38 PM

I was just standing there and it rolled over top of me.

:D

Duckquackers 02-15-2013 02:40 PM

Driving down the road on leave and seen a 2000 Wrangler on the side of the road with a Thank you to our military sign, pulled over looked at the Jeep called the guy as they were closed and told him I would be there first thing in the am. I arrived at 9am with a wad of cash from desert money and on the spot drove the Jeep with my back to Cali. since then I have bought 7 Jeeps and am waiting on my 8th 2013 JKU MOAB in Rock Lobster.

wranglernut 02-15-2013 02:47 PM

I told my college prof that I could fix cars ( I'd only ever replaced brakes before) he said his '98 Cherokee was leaking oil real bad- needed oil pan replaced and mechanic said engine needed lifted out to to it.
I said that was bs and I'd do it for free. Ordered new pan on eBay for $20 and spent all night working on it. Got it fixed and a few weeks later he called me up said "I don't want to keep fixing it anymore are you interested in buying it? What's a fair price?"
I met with him at home said "I don't have a lot of money but I can pay $200". That man was kind/crazy enough to accept.
Tada.

mrk130 02-15-2013 02:51 PM

I have owned a few types of sedans and coupes in my life. The last car I owned was a 2004 Subaru Impreza STI. For anyone unfamiliar, it's a detuned rally car. 300hp/300 tq. Adjustable AWD.
During Hurricane Sandy, my town of Little Ferry became flooded the night storm rolled in. By the time I realized my apt complex was flooding, there was at least a foot of water inside the car and since the parking lot had a slight angle down, the nose was even deeper. There was no saving it so I quickly moved my GFs car and got it in a higher spot. I'd estimate around 90% of the cars in my complex were totaled.
So I started to look for a car. I had wanted a supercharged Mini Cooper for many years. I looked at one but was indecisive for some reason.
I don't know what drove me but I began looking into Wranglers. Based on a friends experience with an 07 Rubicon, I steered clear of JKs. I found an 05 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition. I test drove it and liked it but was hesitant to pull the trigger. It sold. So I looked for another Rocky Mountain Edition. I found another one, also an 05 in PA with 33s and a 3.25" lift. We figured out a price and now here I am. It's been a blast ever since.
I will always miss the STI though. That car was just amazing.

Chili99 02-15-2013 02:53 PM

Back in High School my frined had lifted CJ Renegade 79 I think....we went everywhere in that thing surprised we didn't kill ourselves on more than one occassion :rofl: but we had a lot of fun....it was always in the back of my mind that one day I might buy a Jeep....lots of years have passed since then and I now have 2 Corvettes and have had a few daily drivers over the years but 2 years ago I started talking about getting another DD and I started talking Jeep...then one of my Vettes decided to eat a lifter so that delayed plans a bit....so at the end of 2012 I started looking again....after a few disappointments I found a nice 99 TJ.

Ebxgsxr 02-15-2013 02:59 PM

an ex of mine had a TJ. i was looking for an SUV at the time. i was going to buy a cherokee, but then ended up getting my 1st YJ. i have been back & forth with wranglers, but i always come back. now that i have my 7th wrangler, i want to keep this one.

mturner 02-15-2013 03:48 PM

I bought my first TJ about 8 years ago. Took it out about a week after I bought it and got it stuck in the mud. Fortunately, some kids came by that area that day (place know as Rockulpolko, outside of Nashville, TN) to "see if anyone had gotten stuck". He had a tow strap and helped me pull it out. Never took that one mudding again and wound up trading it a few years later because it was my DD and I was putting 30-40 miles a day on it and gas shot up to $5/gallon. I still remember driving off the lot and seeing that jeep in my rear view mirror and feeling sad.

Fast forward 5 years, I had a Mazda Tribute with 60k miles on it paid off 3 months ago. Driving back from the airport I heard a knocking noise and then loud BANG! Looked out the back window to see what turned out to be the innards of my engine spilling out through a 3 inch hole that blew in the block.

Talking to my wife about what to do to either replace the vehicle or repair the engine she said "If I never have to hear about you wanting a Jeep again, you can get a Jeep..." 2 weeks later, I was signing the papers on an 04 LJ with 47000 miles. Hate that I have a car payment again, but GLAD it's for a Jeep!

Rude Dog 02-15-2013 04:20 PM

1st Jeep was a 1967 CJ5 w/Buick Duantless V6, 3spd. Not long ago I needed a basic computer car, figured a convertible or small SUV (samurai) would be fun to drive. Also, I could pull either behind my RV. Light bulb lit up: Hey what about a Jeep.. Ultimate convertible... and, it can drive over & thru shiz"! Win-Win!!! Looked around and bought a 04 Rubicon. Having another Jeep I'm realizing how much I missed having the 1st one.

Dan216 02-15-2013 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:dance:Realized the 1990 Honda Civic is the opposite of a chick magnet. Recently got my EMT certififcation and as a reward for passing it, I bought the 98' TJ about a month ago. (More of an excuse to buy one, but that's what I tell myself). :)

It needs some modifying, as the exterior is still pretty stock. I'm debating on new speakers, 33" tires, a new bumper, a winch, the list goes on and on.

JCizzle 02-15-2013 05:35 PM

I had a new honda with a high monthly payment (21 years old) and wanted something that could help me reduce that monthly payment and save up. (ha!)
I was into jeeps before and have plenty of friends who have one so I started shopping for one. Didn't realize how well they retain their value and was quickly discouraged. However, after a few months of searching I found a nice '05 Rubicon for a great price and pulled the trigger. Happy days. Just need ordered some new parts too :)