Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   "Death Wobble / Body Lift" Correlation ??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/death-wobble-body-lift-correlation-219612.html)

vertical horizons 02-15-2013 11:51 AM

"Death Wobble / Body Lift" Correlation ???

I know that you can get DW after installing a Suspension Lift kit.
But what about after installing a 2 or 3 Inch Body Lift?

I am not trying to open a can of worms about DW. Just curious as to whether body lifts could/would cause DW. :whistling:

Imped 02-15-2013 11:51 AM

There is absolutely 0% correlation.

PStov98TJ 02-15-2013 12:01 PM

Yep. Absolutely zero correlation. Check your track bar at the axle side to ensure the bolt is VERY tight. I got DW and didn't fix it soon enough and my track bar came off while I was going down the road. Terrifying doesn't begin to describe it because my girlfriend was in the jeep with me.

Bossmanx 02-15-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3372345)
Yep. Absolutely zero correlation. Check your track bar at the axle side to ensure the bolt is VERY tight. I got DW and didn't fix it soon enough and my track bar came off while I was going down the road. Terrifying doesn't begin to describe it because my girlfriend was in the jeep with me.

This happened to me as well. I was alone thank god. Scary feeling.

PStov98TJ 02-15-2013 12:11 PM

Yep. Not trying to scare the OP but just be safe with it. You can literally turn the steering wheel a full 3/4 turn before the wheels turn and it's very unresponsive. Oh and you really soil your pants when you hear the "tink, tink, tink" when you're going down the road.
So long story short, check everything on the front end and make sure it's all tight. And if its not replace it with grade 8 hardware. Not the crappy stock nuts/bolts.

Rayko 02-15-2013 03:09 PM

x2 on what everyone said but why would you want to install a 2 or 3" body lift? That's kind of extreme.

vertical horizons 02-15-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayko (Post 3373072)
x2 on what everyone said but why would you want to install a 2 or 3" body lift? That's kind of extreme.

I'm not sure which way I will go, the BL or the SL.
Before I drop the money on one or the other, I just want to weigh the pros & cons first.

But, you're right.
A 2" or 3" body lift WOULD be kinda extreme.

My main argument for NOT getting a BL would be because of the fact that it doesn't increase your ground clearance, whereas a SL does.

6InARowMakesItGo 02-15-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertical horizons (Post 3373603)
My main argument for NOT getting a BL would be because of the fact that it doesn't increase your ground clearance, whereas a SL does.

while that is true that would not be my reason for not getting a 3 or even 2 inch body lift. i think your best bet would be a combo of both. if you can only get one then a suspension lift is the best place to start.

its also true that a suspension lift doesn't cause dw. dw can happen after the lift is installed but there is some other factor there causing it.