Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Dog hair resistant seat covers? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/dog-hair-resistant-seat-covers-219634.html)

exodus 02-15-2013 01:39 PM

Dog hair resistant seat covers?

I just replaced my 08 JK with a 2013, and I've noticed that the new fabric seems to hold onto my terrier's hair a lot more. As owners of sheddy dogs know, some fabrics hold onto dog hair more stubbornly than others; so, I'm hoping for a recommendation on a seat cover that won't allow the hairs to penetrate as easily, or aren't as static-prone in a dry desert environment. This way the hairs eventually find their way to the floor and I don't have to use a roller before I go to work every morning. I can live with a half-dozen hairs on my slacks, but it's too much many right now.

For the record, my dogs haven't even been in my Jeep; this is all hair that's attached itself to my body while I'm in the house and found its way to the jeep -- normally via my shoes. Other than shaving my dogs (and I've considered it) I'm cursed with dog hair as in every aspect of my life. I've even deposited some in hotels in Australia. I'm (or my JRT is) a menace to the world.

Thanks!

whetstone 02-15-2013 02:10 PM

Fence in yard
Build or buy doghouse
Put dog outside where it belongs
:)

Dalmatians 02-15-2013 02:29 PM

We have 2 Dalmatians and a Golden Retriever. I know about the fur sticking to clothes,and use a roller on me and the seats. The rear seat I have one of those covers that snap on the headrest and cover the back and bottom,but the front seats don't have anything. We have a fenced acre yard, but our dogs stay mostly inside, so fur happens. I love my dogs more than most people and wouldn't have it any other way!

JeepHerz 02-15-2013 02:34 PM

Neoprene is great for fur. Just don't buy the Smittybuilt neoprene covers- they faded in a couple of months.

Kenefick 02-15-2013 02:35 PM

I'm having a similar problem. My JRT loves to ride, but leaves a trail of white hair. It's a lot worse in the JK. In the truck (Dodge) or the wife's Prius it's easy to brush off, but the hair works into the weave on the JK seats.
And no, I'm not leaving him outside - his last owner did that during a hurricane.

Ranger325 02-15-2013 02:36 PM

FWIW I picked up a set of Dickies seat covers at Wal Mart. I put them on when Greta the Weim rides in the Jeep and take them off for work or the wife. :D
The dog hair has worked into the covers but not so much worked thru to the seats themselves.
Not sure if this helps..............

109 Rider 02-15-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetstone (Post 3372864)
Fence in yard
Build or buy doghouse
Put dog outside where it belongs
:)

My dog belongs in my house, on my bed, on my leather Italian sofa, and in my Jeep. :thumb:
And if you want to know, why he belongs on leather Italian sofa - answer is simple :
I love my dog more then any sofa.

Rabuck 02-15-2013 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 210148

Attachment 210149

Mine goes everywhere, I have black cloth hair is errrrreyyyywhere.... I smile when she not in their when I see it.... I start face palming when I vacuum and find its all intertwined in lol

Beastmaster 02-15-2013 02:59 PM

There's some good info in this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/sea...ng-209087.html

basecamper 02-15-2013 03:34 PM

I have leather seats with a Fosters and Smith dog hammock which works great for the seats but the carpet is another case. I have two huskies and getting the hair out of the carpet is a real pain.

JanaLD 02-15-2013 04:15 PM

Trek Armor seat covers are very nice. The dogs have not ridden in the jeep but , hair is transported to the jeep from inside the house. I have not noticed too much hair on seats. My problem is I need to cover the cargo area in a 2 door with the back seat out and need something that covers the side also. 2 white dogs and black carpet = fur ball! Any suggestions??

DjA 02-15-2013 04:19 PM

1997 1998-2002 JEEP WRANGLER TJ S.LEATHER SEAT COVERS [JEP004]

I have these - they look just like leather, and dog hair wipes right off. I would highly recommend them.

Edit: Upon further review, they don't list them for a 2013 JK yet. I wonder if the seats have changed enough that the covers for the older JK's wouldn't fit?

Link: Iggee - JEEP

JeepHerz 02-15-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanaLD (Post 3373358)
Trek Armor seat covers are very nice. The dogs have not ridden in the jeep but , hair is transported to the jeep from inside the house. I have not noticed too much hair on seats. My problem is I need to cover the cargo area in a 2 door with the back seat out and need something that covers the side also. 2 white dogs and black carpet = fur ball! Any suggestions??

Quadratech liner- when the seat is out only. (It doesn't work great with the seat in if you have one of the pesky rear seats that doesn't lock).
Don't cut out the holes- you'll create a fur black hole.
I can't find anything for the sides. That stupid short pile carpet is like velcro. While I don't like the look (no offfense to anyone) I am planning on bed lining this spring sometime. I figure if it looks terrible/I do a bad job I'll just put the carpet back down. But currently I have 3 different vacuums and I still can't get all the fur out. I vacuum and then use duct tape for the leftover hairs.

l2abbit 02-15-2013 05:58 PM

I went to wal-mart aka hell and found dickies seat covers for both front and rear cost me about $35 total. I
'm a A/V guy so I'm constantly wearing dickies and the seat covers last just a well! Dog hair from my weimer come straight off in the wash. Also the are water resistant and have already saved my seats from some minor cuts.

oOoYTSEJAMoOo 02-15-2013 06:25 PM

To: 109 Rider...you took the words right out of my mouth. Jeeps are for dogs, just as much as they are for humans.

I just got a set of give seat covers and they allow the dog hair to fall right down to the carpet. Then I use the "as seen on tv" schticky roller to grab the hair. Works for me.

How else would I get my boys to the Apps to go hiking with me, but in my Jeep?

Attachment 210274

Pipper99 02-15-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 109 Rider (Post 3372952)
My dog belongs in my house, on my bed, on my leather Italian sofa, and in my Jeep. :thumb:
And if you want to know, why he belongs on leather Italian sofa - answer is simple :
I love my dog more then any sofa.

I totally agree. :)

Pipper99 02-15-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabuck (Post 3372981)
Attachment 210148

Attachment 210149

Mine goes everywhere, I have black cloth hair is errrrreyyyywhere.... I smile when she not in their when I see it.... I start face palming when I vacuum and find its all intertwined in lol

That is an adorable pup! :)

BumblebeeJK 02-15-2013 06:32 PM

Neoprene all the way. I use it with my Dalmatian.

LilBigfoot 02-15-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oOoYTSEJAMoOo (Post 3373809)
To: 109 Rider...you took the words right out of my mouth. Jeeps are for dogs, just as much as they are for humans.

I just got a set of give seat covers and they allow the dog hair to fall right down to the carpet. Then I use the "as seen on tv" schticky roller to grab the hair. Works for me.

How else would I get my boys to the Apps to go hiking with me, but in my Jeep?

Attachment 210274

What/Where are "give" seat covers?

Pipper99 02-15-2013 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 210275

These two will be riding in y JKUR when it arrives in a couple of weeks. I'm going to get a canvasback cargo liner, toss in some blankets and off we go!

109 Rider 02-15-2013 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oOoYTSEJAMoOo (Post 3373809)

:thumb:

Attachment 210279

Dalmatians 02-15-2013 08:30 PM

He probably doesn't like getting "people" all over him, but he doesn't complain!
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...5F675793-1.jpg

SilverSport 02-15-2013 08:31 PM

Like Radar O'Reilly said: "Dogs are people too". :thumb:

tlminh 02-16-2013 12:16 AM

When off roading, are you guys doing anything to secure your dogs down? Or do they just flop all over the place? My golden is 100 lbs and I would hate for him to get hurt

2five22 02-16-2013 12:44 AM

Terrier fur is particularly tough to get rid of because it is so wiry in texture. Dual coated dogs are notorious shedders.

Neoprene covers do work.

I use a simple damp cellulose sponge to get my GSD's fur up off the carpet and upholstery. It works far better than tape or lint rollers. Both can get expensive quickly.

oOoYTSEJAMoOo 02-16-2013 10:19 PM

Sorry meant iggees. Not used to my hypersensitive iPad spellcheck yet!

JeepHerz 02-17-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlminh (Post 3375196)
When off roading, are you guys doing anything to secure your dogs down? Or do they just flop all over the place? My golden is 100 lbs and I would hate for him to get hurt

There is a nice thread on this but can't find it at the moment. Safari straps as the barrier/surround. I have a Rugged Ridge grab handle installed on my soundbar. (it installs behind the bolts; very secure). To this I attach a quality Dring- and loop the dogs leash through it. She wears a harness. With a 6ft leash she can't jump out- but this will vary based on your dogs size.
There are other ways- some very nice custom stuff.

colorado-joe 02-17-2013 04:40 AM

dog hair every where

2 Attachment(s)
I have 3 dogs like you said they don't have to even get in your jeep to have hair but I put wet okole neoprene seat covers and hair wipes off easy.Attachment 210775

Attachment 210776

exodus 02-18-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenefick (Post 3372942)
I'm having a similar problem. My JRT loves to ride, but leaves a trail of white hair. It's a lot worse in the JK. In the truck (Dodge) or the wife's Prius it's easy to brush off, but the hair works into the weave on the JK seats.
And no, I'm not leaving him outside - his last owner did that during a hurricane.

Yeah, one of my JRTs hadn't ever been in a house for the first year and a half of his life and was a sad miserable dog. It gets to single digit temperatures in Reno in the winter -- that's cruel.

exodus 02-18-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basecamper (Post 3373172)
I have leather seats with a Fosters and Smith dog hammock which works great for the seats but the carpet is another case. I have two huskies and getting the hair out of the carpet is a real pain.

Leather. Good thought. If I'd known that there would be such a difference in the fabric, I would have gone with Leather. Maybe I can get someone to reupholster my seats locally. That would solve the problem and be better than leather seat covers.