Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Brake pad install question (pic) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/brake-pad-install-question-pic-219899.html)

Overthink 02-16-2013 06:00 PM

Brake pad install question (pic)

2 Attachment(s)
I just put on my Black Magic pads and Centric rotors. The outside pads dont sit on the top bracket (both sides). Does this matter? Is it okay to leave it this way? I have completed the first stage of the break in process, and they seem to be working fine.

Attachment 210625

Attachment 210627

I used the clips only on the top of the pads, if that matters...the bottom sits flush on the bracket.

mrbat23 02-16-2013 06:33 PM

I have never had to do my brakes yet, but i have done alot of other cars and something does not look right.

Black Magic Brakes 02-16-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overthink (Post 3377615)
I just put on my Black Magic pads and Centric rotors. The outside pads dont sit on the top bracket (both sides). Does this matter? Is it okay to leave it this way? I have completed the first stage of the break in process, and they seem to be working fine.

Attachment 210625

Attachment 210627

I used the clips only on the top of the pads, if that matters...the bottom sits flush on the bracket.

Put the lugnuts on the rotors to clamp them tight and see what happens. I get what you see there a lot until the rotor is squared up to the unitbearing. You could also have a bent bolt or bent guide sleeve.

Did either of them wobble when you were installing the caliper?

Overthink 02-16-2013 06:50 PM

Bolts went in fine. No forcing, no impact tools used. Seems to brake fine.

mrbat23 02-16-2013 06:51 PM

It looks like top of calipers and pads are not in the right position,need to be pushed in behind that top bracket.

Overthink 02-16-2013 06:54 PM

The notches on back of the pads line up with the holes for caliper. the bottom of the pads are evenly on the bottom bracket. I'm going to rotate the tires around and see if I can see them with the tires. Probably should have already done that before posting

mrbat23 02-16-2013 06:57 PM

To me it looks like nothing is holding the top of caliper in place

Overthink 02-16-2013 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With tires on...

Attachment 210637

Driver side

Attachment 210638

passenger side

Patrick H 02-16-2013 07:26 PM

They usually sit like that until the rotor is squared up by the wheel, and the caliper/ pads settle in. Looks like you're there now.

mrbat23 02-16-2013 07:35 PM

I guess I'm wrong , but from that top pic it looks like caliper and pads need to be pushed in to lock behind that top bracket.

Patrick H 02-16-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbat23 (Post 3377881)
I guess I'm wrong , but from that top pic it looks like caliper and pads need to be pushed in to lock behind that top bracket.

They don't "lock into" anything on the top side. The caliper just floats on the two caliper bolt sliders.

Overthink 02-16-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go ahead with the final break in phase, since they look ok to everyone.

Patrick H 02-16-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overthink (Post 3377905)
Thanks for the help. I'm going to go ahead with the final break in phase, since they look ok to everyone.

Don't bang yer head on the windshield...:)

mrbat23 02-16-2013 07:44 PM

ok thanks , it just looked wrong to me, but i have only done saturns and some other gm cars. but it still looks wrong to me

Overthink 02-16-2013 07:57 PM

Everything went fine in the phase 2 break in procedure. No pulling, shimmy, groans or grinds. Now have to pick everything up out of the floorboard, that slid off of the seats.

Patrick H 02-16-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overthink (Post 3377969)
Everything went fine in the phase 2 break in procedure. No pulling, shimmy, groans or grinds. Now have to pick everything up out of the floorboard, that slid off of the seats.

BTDT. If they aren't absolutely phenomenal yet, be aware, it will happen quite quickly.

mrbat23 02-16-2013 09:31 PM

Man i hope i am wrong, but that still looks wrong to me, can someone explain why those top tabs on brake pads are not locked into that top bracket??

Patrick H 02-16-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbat23 (Post 3378410)
Man i hope i am wrong, but that still looks wrong to me, can someone explain why those top tabs on brake pads are not locked into that top bracket??

The top tabs on the brake pads don't lock into anything. They just rest against the upper guide rail.

Patrick H 02-16-2013 09:36 PM

Sorry for the sideways pic, but here's mine. I installed these Thursday.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...p;d=1360865690

Johnnybonkel 02-16-2013 10:33 PM

A. Broke em in as instructed and thy are a massive improvement!

Black Magic Brakes 02-16-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbat23 (Post 3378410)

The rotation of the rotor swings them in against the slider on the knuckle when the brakes are applied. They only have to be in close proximity with the wheel bolted on to be correct.

What typically happens is the rotor sags on the wheel studs and pilot and tips the caliper on the guide sleeves which throws the pads out of alignment until the wheel is bolted up.

The inner pad only locates in the piston off the spring clips and it is easy to rotate a bit off kilter which throws the whole mess off.

The only way to check it is by bolting the rotor up solid and then smacking the caliper around by hand to knock everything into place. If that doesn't work, then start looking for a problem.

I can tell you that upside down pads with divots in the sliders generates very unexpected phone conversations.

Patrick H 02-16-2013 11:19 PM

I always put one or two lug nuts on to hold the rotor flat against the hub when installing pads on a floating rotor brake . Notice in my pic...

mrbat23 02-17-2013 11:06 AM

Finally got around to looking at my calipers ,had to see it for myself, and you guys are right on the money , everything looks the same as mine. I swear everyday i learn something new about jeeps.

Rubicon06Va 02-17-2013 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not a brake expert, but here is a pic from centric rotor with posi quiet pads install from last summer. Pad is flush against knuckler and caliper body.

Patrick H 02-17-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon06Va (Post 3380516)
I'm not a brake expert, but here is a pic from centric rotor with posi quiet pads install from last summer. Pad is flush against knuckler and caliper body.

Yep, that's how they look when everything is settled in and seated. :)

Clemson 02-17-2013 01:48 PM

How much was this project if I could ask and source of pads and rotors. Thanks!!

Overthink 02-17-2013 02:12 PM

The Black Magic pads are $125 (cheaper/better than EBC pads). The pads and Centric Premium rotors combo pack is $225 with free shipping. You really can't beat the deal, for what you get.
Jeep TJ, Black Magic Brakes

Johnnybonkel 02-17-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overthink
The Black Magic pads are $125 (cheaper/better than EBC pads). The pads and Centric Premium rotors combo pack is $225 with free shipping. You really can't beat the deal, for what you get.
Jeep TJ, Black Magic Brakes

I AGREE ... IM A REAL NEW COMER TO MECHANIC DIY AND HOPELESS...JUST ENTHUSIASTIC ;)...I BOUGHT THE BLACK MAGIC PADS AND CENTRIC ROTOR KIT AND JUST FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AND 2 HOURS LATER WAS BREAKING THEM IN.

NOW 2 WEEKS LATER I THINK THEY ARE A TERRIFIC IMPROVEMENT...MY RUBI ON 35s BEFOR THIS INSTALL WAS DANGEROUSLY INEFFICIENT AS FAR AS BREAKING. RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE...John.

Patrick H 02-17-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

THEY ARE A TERRIFIC IMPROVEMENT
That's an understatement.

DadeCountyJeeper 02-17-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnybonkel

I AGREE ... IM A REAL NEW COMER TO MECHANIC DIY AND HOPELESS...JUST ENTHUSIASTIC ;)...I BOUGHT THE BLACK MAGIC PADS AND CENTRIC ROTOR KIT AND JUST FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AND 2 HOURS LATER WAS BREAKING THEM IN.

NOW 2 WEEKS LATER I THINK THEY ARE A TERRIFIC IMPROVEMENT...MY RUBI ON 35s BEFOR THIS INSTALL WAS DANGEROUSLY INEFFICIENT AS FAR AS BREAKING. RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE...John.

Call me ignorant but I have a question.

I am running 33s now and I admit I need to improve my braking a bit. Would it be wrong for me to buy slotted rotors and good ceramics pads on say eBay or another website as opposed to the black magic ones?

I say slotted rotors because I think they would help with keeping them cool. Not sure how they would perform off road though???