Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   whats a good starter? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/whats-a-good-starter-220025.html)

zeprider25 02-17-2013 10:01 AM

whats a good starter?

Going to pick up a new starter for my tj today. Was wondering if just any auto store starter is enough or should I get a mean green? I've read up on the differences just not sure if it's worth the extra money.

Fireaxe 02-17-2013 10:05 AM

Can't answer that for ya, but my 00 TJ 4.0 starter went at 152k.

Picked one up from advanceautoparts. Google advanceautoparts cupon codes.
I thinks it's: trt41 and it should save you $40on a $100....

Had it a few months now with no starting issues....except the bad fuel pressure reg.

jkp 02-17-2013 10:17 AM

I put a new, not rebuilt, Remy on my YJ about a yr ago. Advance Auto had them for a decent price.

Rubicondon53 02-17-2013 01:40 PM

No need for the Green starter.. Buy Mopar,, tough to argue with 100k miles and still going strong..

scott howard 02-17-2013 02:41 PM

I run a mean green starter on my YJ that i use for more hardcore off road wheeling.
The gear reduction on the mean green will allow you to use the starter to restart your jeep if it stalls on a hill or rock without pushing in the clutch it you disable the clutch safety switch . And if you live where it gets extremely cold and your battery ca become low a mean green reduction gear starter will still spin the motor fast enough to start it.
If you have a auto trans and or do not do a lot of hill/rock climbing just about any starter will work for ya.

Rubicondon53 02-17-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott howard
I run a mean green starter on my YJ that i use for more hardcore off road wheeling.
The gear reduction on the mean green will allow you to use the starter to restart your jeep if it stalls on a hill or rock without pushing in the clutch it you disable the clutch safety switch . And if you live where it gets extremely cold and your battery ca become low a mean green reduction gear starter will still spin the motor fast enough to start it.
If you have a auto trans and or do not do a lot of hill/rock climbing just about any starter will work for ya.

Hmmm, I run the Mopar starter, as stated above, with a platinum battery. Been starting up on trails just as you described, for ( showing my age ) decades. But hey brother, if you want to spend 3 to 4 hundred bucks on a M G starter, have at it. After tons of research I just can't justify the cost.

Patrick H 02-17-2013 04:56 PM

The factory (or any parts store replacement starter) for the TJ 4.0 is a gear reduction starter.

scott howard 02-17-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3381181)
Hmmm, I run the Mopar starter, as stated above, with a platinum battery. Been starting up on trails just as you described, for ( showing my age ) decades. But hey brother, if you want to spend 3 to 4 hundred bucks on a M G starter, have at it. After tons of research I just can't justify the cost.

we are in the same boat when talking decades...lol.
i wanted the lower reduction gearing ,reduced weight and to be honest the polished aluminum housing of the mean green starter.
the extra money at the build time was just a drop in the bucket.
but they do make good starters and alternators

Rubicondon53 02-17-2013 06:58 PM

:). Agreed, decades ago we would be lucky to get 50k miles out of a stock starter.. My the times they are a changin'