Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   O/D Switch Location on Automatic JK (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/o-d-switch-location-on-automatic-jk-22004.html)

Hitchhiker 10-03-2008 04:18 PM

O/D Switch Location on Automatic JK
 
This is more of a rant than anything else, but I think the location of the O/D (Overdrive) off/on switch in my new JK is in a dumb place. Located on the front of the floor console in front of the shift lever makes you have to take your eye off the road to operate it. :deadhorse:

A much better place would have been to incorporate it into the shift lever, that flat spot on the right side of the handle opposite the detent release would be much better.

I live in a hilly or mountainous terrain and when I'm in a hilly stretch I like to turn the overdrive off, then when I hit a flat stretch turn it back on.

Regards,
Richard

jonwillis231 12-05-2008 10:34 AM

Why not move it? You can take the switch out, run some extra wire and place the switch where you want it. Then buy a blank switch cover to fill in the hole left by the switch in its original location. Just a suggestion. You will probably have 20 dollars tied up in it if that. But your right, stupid design on Jeeps part. Good luck!

Hilldweller 12-05-2008 10:42 AM

After a while you get used to it and can easily reach down and switch it without looking.
But it is a bit of a reach and was obviously an afterthought.

RichRock 12-08-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilldweller (Post 289117)
After a while you get used to it and can easily reach down and switch it without looking.
But it is a bit of a reach and was obviously an afterthought.

I agree. It bugged me at first, but now I'm used to it. The best place for it would be on the side of the shift knob. That's how it was in my 03 Honda Element and it was perfect. But I am finding that some of the idiosyncrasies of the Jeep add to it's uniqueness. Predictability is boring.

Badfish 12-08-2008 12:29 PM

if you got a stick like a true jeep should be you wouldnt have that problem :). i think thats why it was an after thought, like automatics in general

RichRock 12-08-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badfish (Post 290120)
if you got a stick like a true jeep should be you wouldnt have that problem :). i think thats why it was an after thought, like automatics in general

I've driven plenty of sticks in my lifetime. I have nothing more to prove. And these automatics work pretty smooth now. I read several reviews before I settled on an auto vs the 6 speed. No regrets. (And I am loving my new jeep).

I bet "true jeeps" don't have a/c, roll mitigation, traction control, auto sway bar disconnect, modular hardtops, satt. radio, cd players, etc.,etc., etc. lol

stevens243 12-08-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichRock (Post 290313)
I've driven plenty of sticks in my lifetime. I have nothing more to prove. And these automatics work pretty smooth now. I read several reviews before I settled on an auto vs the 6 speed. No regrets. (And I am loving my new jeep).

I bet "true jeeps" don't have a/c, roll mitigation, traction control, auto sway bar disconnect, modular hardtops, satt. radio, cd players, etc.,etc., etc. lol

Well, maybe A/C;)

Badfish 12-09-2008 01:51 PM

yea ac but i hate the roll mitigation and the esp it the worst thing ever put into a vehical. i dont know about the rest of you but mine sees like 90% trail, love the desert, and like no street (only to get to the trail). and as for the auto slushbox just try and follow me off the trail you will never make it. you cant put a price on being able to bounce of the red line to make it up some of the gnarlier of mountain trails. the manual tranny is a must for any true offroader jeep, truck and buggy alike you need the control over the vehical. it has nothing to do with trying to prove anything unless its to prove i can make it up the trail and you cant. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.