Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Key stuck in the ignition (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/key-stuck-in-the-ignition-220206.html)

Den06rubi 02-17-2013 10:38 PM

Key stuck in the ignition

Any one else have to lift up the shift indicator (the plastic cover on the shift indicator) to release the key? I just bought an automatic 06 Rubicon and the lightbulb in there was out. When I replaced it the key wouldn't come out. Seems there's not enough room in there. New to the Jeep and not familiar with the terminology but there's a spring mechanism in there that allows the key to release. What's the best solution?

bardb 02-18-2013 09:45 AM

It worked before you took it apart. Maybe you didn't get it back together correctly?

TJDave 02-18-2013 10:00 AM

Does it shift ok? Can you get it in park or 1st gear? If not, it could be the plastic rod inside shifter has broken. Easy fix. Pull up hard on shift knob to remove it. If you can pull out the white plastic rod out of the shifter, it is broken and that is your problem. Simply cut a piece of plastic coat hanger, or chopstick to the same length as the broken piece, replace and away you go.

Not sure if that is your problem, but this is very common on the 42rle tranny.
Just a suggestion and something to watch for in the future if yours has not broke yet.

Black Magic Brakes 02-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den06rubi (Post 3382735)
Any one else have to lift up the shift indicator (the plastic cover on the shift indicator) to release the key? I just bought an automatic 06 Rubicon and the lightbulb in there was out. When I replaced it the key wouldn't come out. Seems there's not enough room in there. New to the Jeep and not familiar with the terminology but there's a spring mechanism in there that allows the key to release. What's the best solution?

Try it again and push the shifter all the way forward to see if it will click in to release the key. If not, you either put the shifter bezel back on incorrectly or the cable for the interlock is out of adjustement.

There is a cable from the shifter up to the ignition that stops the shifter from being pulled from park unless the key is on and stops the key from being removed unless it is in park.

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardb
It worked before you took it apart. Maybe you didn't get it back together correctly?

It worked fine until I replaced the bulb. Looks like there's not enough room for the bulb so the previous owner decided to remove it.

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 03:50 PM

Shifts fine. All I did was pull the plastic up and replace the bulb. Looks like the previous owner had the same problem because he removed the bulb and receptacle from the white piece and had it laying inside. Works just fine without the bulb in.

Black Magic Brakes 02-18-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den06rubi (Post 3385996)
Shifts fine. All I did was pull the plastic up and replace the bulb. Looks like the previous owner had the same problem because he removed the bulb and receptacle from the white piece and had it laying inside. Works just fine without the bulb in.

I've literally had at least 50 of those apart and you have something going on that is not stock. There is plenty of room for the bulb, bulb holder and the wiring harness in the stock set up.

You have to make sure you get the indicator tab in the metal slot and slide the whole mess in with the shifter in neutral so the accordion tabs will fit under the edge, but that's about it.

Can you toss up a couple of good pictures of that area and the bezel?

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 06:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 211478

Attachment 211479

Black Magic Brakes 02-18-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den06rubi (Post 3386684)

Pull back and take a pic of the whole front half of the console. Something doesn't look right and I can also tell you that the white section you are holding in place with your thumb is supposed to be permanently attached to the shift bezel.

None of them I have ever worked on had the bulb holder on the passenger side or right hand side of the vehicle.

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 07:03 PM

Just over 2 inches from the lip of the opening to the release mechanism

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3386847)
Pull back and take a pic of the whole front half of the console. Something doesn't look right and I can also tell you that the white section you are holding in place with your thumb is supposed to be permanently attached to the shift bezel.

None of them I have ever worked on had the bulb holder on the passenger side or right hand side of the vehicle.

Ah, the light bulb and PRNDL cover goes on the left. :doh: I was putting it in how I took it out and now that explains why it's now also easier to see :dance:

Black Magic Brakes 02-18-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den06rubi (Post 3386919)
Ah, the light bulb and PRNDL cover goes on the left. :doh: I was putting it in how I took it out and now that explains why it's now also easier to see :dance:

Does the key come out now?

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 09:12 PM

Yep. All good. Thanks. I kept wondering why it was so hard to see when I was shifting into drive or reverse. Never occurred to me it was on upside down/backwards......now...why don't the interior lights come on when the doors open?

Black Magic Brakes 02-18-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den06rubi (Post 3387730)
Yep. All good. Thanks. I kept wondering why it was so hard to see when I was shifting into drive or reverse. Never occurred to me it was on upside down/backwards......now...why don't the interior lights come on when the doors open?

Check the dome light defeat fuse behind the glovebox. It may be missing or blown. It exists to defeat the dome light and key chime when the doors are off.

Den06rubi 02-18-2013 09:57 PM

Sure enough! Slot #4 is missing a 10 amp fuse. I'll get it tomorrow when I pick up a blower motor resistor since my blower only works on high. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and others on the forum. The information here is invaluable.