Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   can i change my 3.07 gear ratio to a higher gear ratio (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/can-i-change-my-3-07-gear-ratio-to-a-higher-gear-ratio-220273.html)

timothy 02-18-2013 09:54 AM

can i change my 3.07 gear ratio to a higher gear ratio
 
I need to do My 01 wrangler sport differentials. The bearing are bad. I was only just going to do the bearing but im not sure if the gears are bad. So im thinking of changing the gears to. My qustion is what do i have to do to change gear ratio can i just buy the gears and the the bearings and put them on or do i have to change everything in the diff like the spider gear and what what ever else is in there.

PStov98TJ 02-18-2013 09:56 AM

I'm not 100% sure what all you need but if you are replacing the 3.07 gears already, why not upgrade them to 4.10's or 4.56's if you have oversize tires?
Only downside to upgrading your gears to a lower ratio (higher numerical number) is you'd also have to replace the gears in the front if you want to use 4 wheel drive

Jerry Bransford 02-18-2013 10:02 AM

What size tires are you running, and which transmission are you running, the automatic or 5 speed? And do you plan on going to bigger size tires in the foreseeable future?

KingTJ 02-18-2013 10:10 AM

Interested in this as well. I have stock 3.07 gears and am running the 4.0L auto. I currently am running 32x11.50 and have heard that jumping to a 3.73 would be more idea. I've also heard that 3.73 is the cut off where I wouldn't have to replace the carriers and would have to just get a new ring and pinion. Not sure if that's completely true. Hopefully jerry can shed some light on this situation.

Atthehop 02-18-2013 10:11 AM

If you are not familiar on how to set up gears, it is not just a remove and replace operation.

KingTJ 02-18-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop
If you are not familiar on how to set up gears, it is not just a remove and replace operation.

No intention of doing it myself. A friend of mine runs a garage where I'm from and he has his guys do work for me for little to nothing, I just buy the parts. I'm pretty handy and work on just about everything else myself but when it comes to gears I'm a deer in headlights. Therefore if I know what materials I need I can have him and his guys quote me a price for labor.

timothy 02-18-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3384539)
What size tires are you running, and which transmission are you running, the automatic or 5 speed? And do you plan on going to bigger size tires in the foreseeable future?

I have a 5 speed nv3550 trans. Im running i think 31 and no im not going to go bigger

Dextreme 02-18-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTJ (Post 3384633)
No intention of doing it myself. A friend of mine runs a garage where I'm from and he has his guys do work for me for little to nothing, I just buy the parts. I'm pretty handy and work on just about everything else myself but when it comes to gears I'm a deer in headlights. Therefore if I know what materials I need I can have him and his guys quote me a price for labor.

Personally, I would have them order "all the parts". That way if there is a issue with a part or installation, they will deal with it and it won't be on you to resolve. They might even get the parts at a better price.

beerly 02-21-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy (Post 3385862)
I have a 5 speed nv3550 trans. Im running i think 31 and no im not going to go bigger


That's what I said. Carriers are cheap. Not to say you will ever go bigger, but if its a remote possibility and you're regearing anyway, might as well plan for just one more step up, maybe 33's. That way you don't feel stuck with what you have down the road by only gearing for 31's.

timothy 02-21-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerly (Post 3399542)

That's what I said. Carriers are cheap. Not to say you will ever go bigger, but if its a remote possibility and you're regearing anyway, might as well plan for just one more step up, maybe 33's. That way you don't feel stuck with what you have down the road by only gearing for 31's.

Yeah your right

timothy 02-21-2013 08:40 AM

Do i have to chang the spider gear to for the new gears ir can i use the one i have

beerly 02-21-2013 08:53 AM

I'm pretty sure the spider gears are swappable and are specific to the actual diff (D30 and D35). I have had to replace spiders in the front and rear and the only specification when buying them were the differentials. I'm getting ready to regear to 4.56 (for 33's) and all I bought were the ring and pinions, carriers and rebuild kits.

timothy 02-21-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerly (Post 3399692)
I'm pretty sure the spider gears are swappable and are specific to the actual diff (D30 and D35). I have had to replace spiders in the front and rear and the only specification when buying them were the differentials. I'm getting ready to regear to 4.56 (for 33's) and all I bought were the ring and pinions, carriers and rebuild kits.

Oh ok

Jerry Bransford 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

Yes the spider gears don't care if it's a high or low ratio case, they just are particular to axle model like Dana 30 or Dana 44.

timothy 02-21-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3399865)
Yes the spider gears don't care if it's a high or low ratio case, they just are particular to axle model like Dana 30 or Dana 44.

Ok that good to know. So all i need is new master bearing kit (that i already have) new ring and pinion (3.55 or 3.73 ratio) new carrior do i need new carrior for both differential somone told me i dont have to change carrior on dana 30 i can go deeper without change carrior but i have to change the rear dana 35 carrior is that true. Is there anything else i need to do to change gears.

freeskier 02-21-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy (Post 3399972)
Ok that good to know. So all i need is new master bearing kit (that i already have) new ring and pinion (3.55 or 3.73 ratio) new carrior do i need new carrior for both differential somone told me i dont have to change carrior on dana 30 i can go deeper without change carrior but i have to change the rear dana 35 carrior is that true. Is there anything else i need to do to change gears.

The carrier break for the D35 is 3.55/3.73. Anything 3.55 and numerically lower and you can re use your carrier, anything 3.73 and numerically higher and you need a new carrier. I would highly suggest you go with 4.10. It is my opinion that no TJ should have ever came with anything numerically lower than 4.10.

Your front D30 has the same carrier break, however some companies make thick cut gears. This means you could run 4.10 thick cut gears on the 3.55 and numerically lower carrier.

00TJSport 02-28-2013 03:54 PM

Not trying to butt in...but how do I tell of I have a low or high pinion?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.