Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New Jeep TJ Purpose (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-jeep-tj-purpose-220356.html)

Parsonsm 02-18-2013 03:35 PM

New Jeep TJ Purchase
 
Hey All,

I am brand new to the forum and to jeeps in general. I am looking locally at a 2004 TJ with about 64K miles. The current owner has made many upgrades including a 4in lift, soft/hard tops, tummy tucker, Banks Header, AEM cold air intake, winch, LED light bar and the list goes on and on. I am looking for the jeep as a local daily driver and to have some fun off road with the family.

Would this vehicle be a good choice and is there anything in particular I should be looking at when inspecting and driving it. I think he used it as a third car, some rock crawling, etc.

From the list of upgrades, it looks like he has used quality components and considering the year the jeep appears to be in great shape.

Thanks in advance for the advice and I look forward learning a lot from all of you.

EMTJEEP 02-18-2013 03:53 PM

What kind of lift is it? How hard did he "rock crawl"? A lot of people selling jeeps beat them to hell and you get left with the repairs. What engine does it have? Are the axles stock? Is there any rust or dents that are covered up by body armor? Has it been maintenance regularly? If he has 35's on it did they beef up the steering? Is there any vibes when driving? Does it have SYE(slip yoke eliminator)?

Those are just some questions and things to look at when buying a jeep.

If you tell us a little more about the details we could give you some more help on steering you the right way.

Dextreme 02-18-2013 04:02 PM

I big think to check for is crusty/flaky rust on the frame. In area where roads are salted in the winter, the frames take a rust beating.

Also, get it on stretch of highway were you can get it up to 70mph so you get a feel for any weird vibrations or squirrely handling.

Parsonsm 02-18-2013 04:19 PM

EMTJEEP: As far as I know the engine is stock except for the addition of the cold air intake adn the Banks Header. I am not sure how much crawling he did, but have asked. He is a mechanic and says it has been maintained all thru its life, and he is the original owner. The jeep looks very well cared for. He currently has 33 TSLs with abouyt 60% tread. It also has a JB conversions HD SYE a Dana 30 front and a 44 rear with Spartan locker and rockcrusher diff covers.

I have not seen any rust on the body, some surface rust on the control arms but nothing that is pitting.

EMTJEEP 02-18-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsonsm (Post 3386147)
EMTJEEP: As far as I know the engine is stock except for the addition of the cold air intake adn the Banks Header. I am not sure how much crawling he did, but have asked. He is a mechanic and says it has been maintained all thru its life, and he is the original owner. The jeep looks very well cared for. He currently has 33 TSLs with abouyt 60% tread. It also has a JB conversions HD SYE a Dana 30 front and a 44 rear with Spartan locker and rockcrusher diff covers.

I have not seen any rust on the body, some surface rust on the control arms but nothing that is pitting.

Is it a 4.0? Have you drove it yourself?

Dextreme 02-18-2013 04:32 PM

Also find our it if has a Clean title.

Here is a good thread to read through....
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/did-...ce-208469.html

scott howard 02-18-2013 04:41 PM

take pics of the Jeep engine bay, under side.... and post them

Abike 02-18-2013 05:29 PM

You'll also want to know what kind of lift it is. A 4" lift is fairly high and if it was done with cheap parts, you are just buying someone else's problems. I have dealt with this first hand and ended up gutting all the suspension parts off and starting over as mine developed a really bad death wobble.

Parsonsm 02-18-2013 06:45 PM

I have briefly driven the jeep and am going back over this week to drive again and will take some pics. Have asked about the brand of lift kit. I know it has a Currie adjustable track bar, MORE bomb proof motor mounts and coil spacers in the front and coil relocaters in the rear.

Parsonsm 02-18-2013 07:24 PM

Ok, the latest information is that the owner mostly used the jeep for rock crawling, no mud or sand. The axles are stock and has a Dana 44 rear end. The steering was not beefed up as he was using 33's on it. It has the 4.0 engine and the lift kit is half rock krawler and half zone off road.

EMTJEEP 02-18-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsonsm (Post 3386752)
I have briefly driven the jeep and am going back over this week to drive again and will take some pics. Have asked about the brand of lift kit. I know it has a Currie adjustable track bar, MORE bomb proof motor mounts and coil spacers in the front and coil relocaters in the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsonsm (Post 3386975)
Ok, the latest information is that the owner mostly used the jeep for rock crawling, no mud or sand. The axles are stock and has a Dana 44 rear end. The steering was not beefed up as he was using 33's on it. It has the 4.0 engine and the lift kit is half rock krawler and half zone off road.

How was it when you drove it? Sloppy steering, vibes or knocks? Did you test out the 4wd? The coil spacer is something you may want to think of removing. It's not the best thing for lifting a jeep. I never had them but I know that they are the last resort for lifting. When people put different parts with a lift it's called a Frankstein lift and they can get pretty ugly. But RK and zone are good companies. Are they same lowers and different uppers or just front and rear different? The 4.0 is virtually bullet proof if well taken care of. So that is a plus. But since he said he did mostly rock crawling, you want to do a complete look over on the suspension parts. For example the bushing or joints, make sure they are not busted, make sure the shocks are still good. What kind of shocks are they? Is the rear sway bar extended? And is the rear trackbar adjustable or stock?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.