Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Regear (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/regear-220717.html)

valentine1210 02-19-2013 09:09 PM

Regear
 
I have an 03 4 cyl 5 speed with factory 4.10s and being a high schooler I'm on my way to getting 33s and a zone 3 inch lift. Do you think the 4.10s will be ok for around town? Do you think a regear is needed? And if so where in central nj?
Thank you.

5spdftw 02-19-2013 09:11 PM

You'll probably be fine with 4.10s. Jeeps (especially 4 bangers) aren't exactly speed demons anyway. I drove a 1994 4cyl 5spd with 4.10s and 32s during high school an it worked fine even if it was a little slow.

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 09:16 PM

You will be fine with the 4.10's around town and for light to moderate trails with 33's. That's what I have. A regear is on my todo list but it's not necessary. Good luck with the lift btw. Are you going to do the 1.25" bl and 1"mml too?

valentine1210 02-19-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ
You will be fine with the 4.10's around town and for light to moderate trails with 33's. That's what I have. A regear is on my todo list but it's not necessary. Good luck with the lift btw. Are you going to do the 1.25" bl and 1"mml too?

I was think about the BL and MML just to eliminate the t case drop but I'm afraid it will make the 33s look too small or ill be one of the unlucky ones who have to use the MML and the t case drop. Do you have any pics of the 4.25 combo kit with 33s?

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not right now... But a BL wouldn't affect the driveline at all and a MML would probably emliminate any possible tcase drop you'd need. And it definitely won't make them look too small. It won't look bad without the BL (I'm running my jeep with 33's and 2.5" OME kit for now). But a 2.5-3" kit with 1.25" BL is a very, very common combo. Just think about it, would all of those people do that if it made the Jeep look bad? Probably not. But it is your jeep, so make it the way you like it. But first go look at other pictures of jeeps with and without the BL. Heres mine with just the 2.5" lift:

valentine1210 02-19-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ
Not right now... But a BL wouldn't affect the driveline at all and a MML would probably emliminate any possible tcase drop you'd need. And it definitely won't make them look too small. It won't look bad without the BL (I'm running my jeep with 33's and 2.5" OME kit for now). But a 2.5-3" kit with 1.25" BL is a very, very common combo. Just think about it, would all of those people do that if it made the Jeep look bad? Probably not. But it is your jeep, so make it the way you like it. But first go look at other pictures of jeeps with and without the BL. Heres mine with just the 2.5" lift:

I see what you are saying there I think I'll do zones combo kit and yeah def a nice jeep. Love the bumper

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks man! Lots of hard work and lifeguarding right there. Installed it all myself. Good luck with your lift! And just ask if you have any more questions at all.

valentine1210 02-19-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ
Thanks man! Lots of hard work and lifeguarding right there. Installed it all myself. Good luck with your lift! And just ask if you have any more questions at all.

One more quick question that is completely off topic but how deep of mud can I get into safely without gettin mud in my diffs or tranny?

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 10:30 PM

For the diffs, the breather tube is up at the top of the radiator for the front diff and the top of the gas filler neck for the rear diff. I'm not sure about your tranny/tcase because they switched the transmissions from the ax-15 (what I have) to the nv-1500 or nv-2500 (interchangeable names) for your Jeep. But later I can post up some pictures of what my breather looks like on my tranny. It's at about the height of the bottom of the door. Which is the usually recommended stop point for water and mud. But do a Google search for nv-1500 or 2500 vent hose or breather tube and eventually you'll find someone who knows for sure.
Does all that make sense? I'm studying for a physics test too so I'm kinda just typing on the fly.

valentine1210 02-19-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ
For the diffs, the breather tube is up at the top of the radiator for the front diff and the top of the gas filler neck for the rear diff. I'm not sure about your tranny/tcase because they switched the transmissions from the ax-15 (what I have) to the nv-1500 or nv-2500 (interchangeable names) for your Jeep. But later I can post up some pictures of what my breather looks like on my tranny. It's at about the height of the bottom of the door. Which is the usually recommended stop point for water and mud. But do a Google search for nv-1500 or 2500 vent hose or breather tube and eventually you'll find someone who knows for sure.
Does all that make sense? I'm studying for a physics test too so I'm kinda just typing on the fly.

That makes sense thank so much for the help sorry. 😁

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 11:01 PM

Not a problem man! That's what the forum is for. If you have anymore questions about anything ask here or in another post. Plenty of very knowledgable people on here.

valentine1210 02-19-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ
Not a problem man! That's what the forum is for. If you have anymore questions about anything ask here or in another post. Plenty of very knowledgable people on here.

Thank you man. I've got one more question I'm going to change the fluids this week (diff,tranny, t case) where is a safe place to put a jack to get the axles off the ground. Sorry still got the newbie in me. Lol thank you

PStov98TJ 02-19-2013 11:53 PM

It's all good man. Haha we only learn these things by asking someone who knows. I had to ask the same thing the first time I worked on my jeep.
But you should get a good 10 ton or so floor jack and then I usually just jack it up from the bottom of the diff till I can put jack stands under the frame right behind the Lower Control Arms. The jack stands are very important for your safety. That jeep will hurt it if it comes off the jack while you're under it. You can jack it up from the tube but I don't really suggest that because those D30 and D35 tubes aren't the strongest thing in the world.
I'm guessing you ran through some deep water or mud recently?

PStov98TJ 02-20-2013 12:16 AM

And just an fyi from what I found. There is surprisingly very little information on your tranny compared to mine, but, your breather tube/vent is in the same place as mine, right at the bottom of the doors. I can post a picture of it tomorrow for you if you want so you can see if you can figure out how to extend it (and let me know if you do, haven't had time to fool with it yet). But basically it's right on top of the transmission where your shifter inserts into it. So maybe a little above where your feet are while driving.

PStov98TJ 02-20-2013 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a really good pic that will give you an idea from where they are from the outside of the Jeep. Found this on another jeep forum while doing some research.

PStov98TJ 02-20-2013 12:23 AM

The ones in the middle are the t-case hose at the top and the tranny vent cap at the bottom then obviously the front diff on the hood and the rear diff by the gas filler. Hope that answers your questions about the max depth for mud ridin'.
And sorry for all the posts. It's probably more than you wanted to know. But wrangler forum is definitely more fun than studying :whistling:

valentine1210 02-20-2013 12:56 AM

No it's perfectly fine thank you for all the info and nah I'm just changing my fluids for change of mind and I want to extend the breather hoses. My uncle just blew his tranny,rear axle, and trashed the interior after he tried to plow through a mud hole. Lol stuff happens just glad I wasn't driving.

valentine1210 02-20-2013 01:00 AM

Man was that an experience he a 02 sport. He was borrowing it from his wife. That was the one and only time I didn't have a seat belt on. And yeah hoping out the top of it and jumped on the hood was great. Rofl.

PStov98TJ 02-20-2013 10:01 AM

Nice. Ha sounds like it was an interesting trip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.