Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/)
-   -   TPMS Trouble (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/tpms-trouble-22083.html)

nosmr2@mac.com 10-06-2008 04:19 PM

TPMS Trouble

Greetings All,
I purchased a '08 Wrangler new last week. It came with the crappy 16" wheels. I purchased a set of 18" wheels and tires (mounted) off a Rubicon. The year of the Rubicon was unknown to the seller, long story, but they are identical to the '08 Rubicon 18's as seen on current Jeeps. I gave the seller my 16's as part of the deal and headed off. When I got home I noticed the low pressure light was on.
Jeep told me $110 an hour to break down all 5 tires and we would go from there with no clear resolution. I left.
I am not sure my new wheels have TPMS, I would assume so, they are only 1 or 2 years old. If so, can I buy the $15 magnet from the parts department and retrain my computer? If so, what is the procedure. I hunted and hunted before posting this. Or do I need my original sensors back?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeep n00b

Hitchhiker 10-06-2008 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe you could buy the sensors and have a tire store bust them down and install? Not sure how to calibrate them to the TPMS, maybe there are adjustments on the sensors?

Click the attachment for some part numbers that may help:

Richard

hig4s 10-07-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosmr2@mac.com (Post 270262)
Greetings All,
I purchased a '08 Wrangler new last week. It came with the crappy 16" wheels. I purchased a set of 18" wheels and tires (mounted) off a Rubicon. The year of the Rubicon was unknown to the seller, long story, but they are identical to the '08 Rubicon 18's as seen on current Jeeps. I gave the seller my 16's as part of the deal and headed off. When I got home I noticed the low pressure light was on.
Jeep told me $110 an hour to break down all 5 tires and we would go from there with no clear resolution. I left.
I am not sure my new wheels have TPMS, I would assume so, they are only 1 or 2 years old. If so, can I buy the $15 magnet from the parts department and retrain my computer? If so, what is the procedure. I hunted and hunted before posting this. Or do I need my original sensors back?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeep n00b

????? Rubicons come with 17in wheels, Saharas come with 18in wheels?????

Hitchhiker 10-07-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Saharas come with 18in wheels?????
Mine came with 18" wheels (Sahara).

Richard

bigchris 10-07-2008 08:33 PM

are the stems held on w/ a silver plastic nut or just plain rubber? if held on by a plastic nut, they are the tpms. retrain them.
if i'm not mistaken don't most new chrysler products come w/ a retrainer? either w/ the spare or in the jack stowage area? if not buy the magnet, it'l pay for itself inthe end.

Hilldweller 10-08-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hig4s (Post 270560)
Rubicons come with 17in wheels, Saharas come with 18in wheels

Right; Rubicons have never ever come with 18" wheels.

I'd go to a place like Discount Tire and have them help; they've always treated me very fairly.
You really should've kept your old sensors.... ....and never gotten the 18's. And if they really told you that the 18's came from a Rubi, they lied to you.
Unless the dealership did something funny with the original Rubi owner, like swap Sahara wheels onto it.

My TPMS will often trigger an alarm for several hours after a tire rotation; I have no idea why but your rig might be doing the same thing.