Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Flat Tube Fender Install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/flat-tube-fender-install-221144.html)

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:18 PM

Flat Tube Fender Install

5 Attachment(s)
This thread will cover my install of some flat tube fenders. Lots of pictures and information that was not covered in the instructions.

This may be a lengthy thread, I apologize, but I wanted it to be easy to follow. The pictures have a lot of captions also.

I purchased the "SCHMITTYBILT" flat fenders of ebay for about $225. These are the knock offs of the Smittybilt fenders. I was leary when I purchased them :confused:. I didn't know how well they would be made. I was very pleased when the 40lb box got delivered, they are very good, heavy quality fenders. They did not come with instructions, which was stated in the item description, but you can download "like" instructions off of the smitty website.:punk:

1. I started off by measuring my height of existing fender to tires. About 4.75 inches.

2. Downloaded and printed instructions from smitty

3. Took the hood latch off with a 7/16 wrench and popped out the hood bump stop with my "bump stop removal tool".

4. Disconnect the marker light assembly (by twisting) and removed the marker lens.

5. Made a template of the inner side of the tube fender out of cardboard. Used the template to draw my cut marks on the fender, I went smaller than the template. When you get close to the fire wall, I used the width of a wrench for the distance from fender lip to cut line.

PB Blaster is your Friend!!! :doh2:
6. Remove the 5 bolts from under the fender that secure it to the radiator support. You don't have to remove the brace if you don't want.

7. Next, begin the cutting! This was the scarest part for me, cutting perfectly good fenders. Begin in the middle (where the inner fender starts to go down), cut a notch at the mid point and then cut towards the front, all the way to the bottom of the fender on the front of the "drop".

I used a saw zall, a jig saw and a dremel with a cutting wheel. The SZ sucked :banghead:, the jig saw was best for open areas and the dremel was used for tight spots, like around the support bracket on the inner fender to radiator support.

8. Once you have cut to the front you should be able to pull the fender out to the side, pivoting where you cut the notch in step 7. This will give you better access to cut the inner fender.

I removed the washer res and the coolant res for better access on the passenger side. On the drivers side I didn't remove anything, not even the battery (should've though).

9. At this point unbolt the top 3 bolts that mount the rear of the fender to the firewall. The 4th bolt (lowest) is hard to get to, just loosen it, if you can.

10. Back to cutting. Should be able to pull the rear of the fender out about an inch or so from the body. Cut the line on top of the fender all the way to end or rear. Then, cut the inner fender. The cut line should be from top to bottom, from 1-2 inches inside from outer edge.

11. At this point the outer fender should pull free from the cut fender. This now makes it very simple to get to the bottom bolt on the firewall.

YAY! Your half way done! :thumb:

Take a look around, clean stuff up, remove stuff, this is a good time.
Reassembly starts now

12. Place your tube fender on top of your cut fender. Loosely install the 3 bolts that connect to the firewall and the 4 that bolts to the radiator support.

13. Align your cut fender under the tube fender plate, drill your upper holes for the fasteners that are supplied. Install and tighten the upper fender fasteners.

14. Tighten the 3 firewall bolts and the 4 front support bolts.

15. From under the fender, drill the existing holes from the cut fender for the hood latch. Install latch.

16. There is a hole in the front of the fender where your marker light can go, perfect fit or cut the wires. Your choice.

17. Measure your height. I gained about 3 inches of clearance.
18. Admire your hard work!! :popcorn:

Took 2 evenings after work to finish. About 4 hours the first night, about 2 hours the second night. One fender per night. The second fender goes a lot faster!!! :dance:

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:21 PM

More Pics

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures of the process.

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:28 PM

Another set of pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Another set of pictures

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:31 PM

A few more

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures. Almost done.

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:33 PM

Getting near the end.

5 Attachment(s)
Getting near the end.

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 04:35 PM

The End

3 Attachment(s)
The End. Sorry, I didn't make the pictures smaller, I didn't really know a good way that you could still see the work and the captions.

yjmark 02-21-2013 05:13 PM

looks great. u did an awsome job! thank you for taking the time an showing us all the tricks. great how to do imiages.

Shrimp 02-21-2013 05:14 PM

Very cool, how long did it take you for the whole install?

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimp
Very cool, how long did it take you for the whole install?

About 6 hours total.

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yjmark
looks great. u did an awsome job! thank you for taking the time an showing us all the tricks. great how to do imiages.

Thank you! That's what I was shooting for. The smitty instructions were good but lacked in details.

AV8R 02-21-2013 05:38 PM

Very interesting since just earlier today I flexed my front right tire into the fender and warped it a little (it was rusted and weak). First thing I thought was "I'm gonna cut these bad boys."

And BAM, here's this thread! :thumb:

MudRok88YJ 02-21-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AV8R
Very interesting since just earlier today I flexed my front right tire into the fender and warped it a little (it was rusted and weak). First thing I thought was "I'm gonna cut these bad boys."

And BAM, here's this thread! :thumb:

It was meant to be! I think that it would be fairly easy to build your own fender instead of purchasing them.

raycer 02-21-2013 06:15 PM

awesome write up

kywaterman 02-21-2013 06:19 PM

Very well done good job on the write up!

redrockerfan 02-21-2013 09:25 PM

Nice job, looks good!:punk:

Dooley the Clown 02-23-2013 07:10 AM

denisbaldwin 02-25-2013 02:15 AM

Good looking build!

spyder98 02-25-2013 09:36 AM

I want to thank you for your instructions, The are so much easier then Smittybilts. :thumb:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...psd6a04357.jpg

MudRok88YJ 02-26-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder98
I want to thank you for your instructions, The are so much easier then Smittybilts. :thumb:

Nice! Jeep looks good. Thank you and I'm glad it helped!

roadyrob 02-26-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder98 (Post 3417389)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...psd6a04357.jpg

those look like the flares from e-autogrill, are they well made? they look great on your jeep.

raycer 02-26-2013 08:05 AM

I've been looking at those on ebay and wondering how the were. They look sharp:) My fenders are a bit ugly and I was thinking about them.

spyder98 02-26-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadyrob (Post 3421737)
those look like the flares from e-autogrill, are they well made? they look great on your jeep.

I was actually worried that they would be cheaply made. But actually they are very well built and heavy and the price was just perfect. Ill be buying the rear corner guards from them either this week or next week.

tylerf83 02-26-2013 08:37 AM

also like them they look good would you recommend these to other jeepers do the screens remove to get to the bolts

Speedy4x4 02-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder98 (Post 3422244)

I was actually worried that they would be cheaply made. But actually they are very well built and heavy and the price was just perfect. Ill be buying the rear corner guards from them either this week or next week.

That's good to know. They have been temping me with their products for a few months now

spyder98 02-26-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerf83 (Post 3422301)
also like them they look good would you recommend these to other jeepers do the screens remove to get to the bolts

my brother actually ordered a set for his TJ after he saw mine installed. So yeah I would recommend them to other jeepers :dance: The screens are not removable so you either have to go through the top to install the bolts or through the bottom like I did.

MudRok88YJ 02-26-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

I ordered the rear corner guards at the same time as the tube fenders, they are on back order and I'm still waiting for the rear guards.

Keeter6227 02-26-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Man that look great we're u get those from?

spyder98 02-26-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudRok88YJ (Post 3423606)
I ordered the rear corner guards at the same time as the tube fenders, they are on back order and I'm still waiting for the rear guards.

yeah we have been emailing back and forth this morning he emailed me that he will be receiving his new shipment by the end of this week or beginning of next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeter6227 (Post 3423616)
Man that look great we're u get those from?

got them on ebay search for e_autogrilles.

Keeter6227 02-26-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

yeah we have been emailing back and forth this morning he emailed me that he will be receiving his new shipment by the end of this week or beginning of next.

got them on ebay search for e_autogrilles.

Ok thank you!!