Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   yet another lift question. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/yet-another-lift-question-221803.html)

smolder 02-24-2013 09:12 AM

yet another lift question.
 
I've searched and read a ton, but still don't know the answer.

'98 tj... moved to 8500 foot in colorado and would like a bit more clearance with the 31's I put on. Do not plan to off road. Was looking at a 2" body lift, but now it appears I need new shocks. Does it make sense to spring for a suspension kit with shocks? I do not plan to do the lift myself. Any thoughts or recommendation?

00TJSport 02-24-2013 09:14 AM

I'm anxious to hear what answers you get from this. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place too. Good luck..

WaterDR 02-24-2013 09:34 AM

Don't waste time and effort on a BL especially if you need shocks

Look at something line a 2" BDS lift with springs and shocks and call it a day.

You will make room for the 31s, get ground clearance, and improve your ride. With a BL all you do is raise your problems and get nothing in return.

00TJSport 02-24-2013 09:47 AM

But with a 2 inch shock/coil lift, don't you still need sway bar links and a rear trackbar bracket? Just curious......

muddawgx 02-24-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3413108)
But with a 2 inch shock/coil lift, don't you still need sway bar links and a rear trackbar bracket? Just curious......

Your stock trackbars should work without the additional brackets. The axle shift will be minimal. Sway bar links aren't that expensive from say Autozone or Pepboys (especially if you don't care about having quick-disco's) Only reason I will change my trackbars when I git my lift (2" BDS coil/shocks) is because I bought them for my 03 TJ and never got them on before it was wrecked)

00TJSport 02-24-2013 12:38 PM

I just wanna do it the right way. Thanks

muddawgx 02-24-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3413806)
I just wanna do it the right way. Thanks

I know what you mean. That's why I'm saving for a BDS. I hear majority of good things about them. Just gonna be a while. :(

00TJSport 02-24-2013 01:30 PM

I'm debating on doing the RC 2.5 with Smittybilt XRC sliders w/step, and Bushwacker flatties. I'm just concerned about the whole thing making my 31's look tiny. Or....do I go with the lift, sell the 31's, (which are like new), buy 32's, skip the sliders and go with the flatties. I'm really undecided what to do. This is my first Jeep.

WaterDR 02-24-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport
But with a 2 inch shock/coil lift, don't you still need sway bar links and a rear trackbar bracket? Just curious......

95% of a jeeps with a 2 inch lift don't need those.

I used a trackbar bracket to center my rear axle. But I am in the minority.

jeepfever84 02-24-2013 05:04 PM

on my 00' sahara the PO put a puck lift and shocks.the pucks are 2" and it still has stock track bars the only thing is with wider tires you need to run a wheel with a wider back spacing cause the tires will rub on front lower control arm and rear upper spring cup

00TJSport 02-24-2013 05:42 PM

Yea. I already have 15 x 8 black steelies with 3.75 inch of backspacing.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-24-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolder (Post 3412985)
I've searched and read a ton, but still don't know the answer.

'98 tj... moved to 8500 foot in colorado and would like a bit more clearance with the 31's I put on. Do not plan to off road. Was looking at a 2" body lift, but now it appears I need new shocks. Does it make sense to spring for a suspension kit with shocks? I do not plan to do the lift myself. Any thoughts or recommendation?

A 1" BL alone will suffice.

My setup works pretty good in Colorado....here's more info.

WaterDR 02-24-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepfever84
on my 00' sahara the PO put a puck lift and shocks.the pucks are 2" and it still has stock track bars the only thing is with wider tires you need to run a wheel with a wider back spacing cause the tires will rub on front lower control arm and rear upper spring cup

Your tires should not rub. I run a 2" lift with 31s that are wider than stick and have no rub at all......on stock rims too.

jeepfever84 02-24-2013 10:20 PM

yeah im running 32/11.5's and was getting slight rubbing with my stock wheels so i ran some lug centric spacers until i could get som aftermarket wheels


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.