Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Side Decals (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/side-decals-221805.html)

Fitnesstec 02-24-2013 10:24 AM

Side Decals

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a good method for removing the side stickers from the metal painted panel, without damaging the surface? I was considering a hair dryer, goo gone, and a fingernail...
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Attachment 213827

MTH 02-24-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitnesstec
Does anyone have a good method for removing the side stickers from the metal painted panel, without damaging the surface? I was considering a hair dryer, goo gone, and a fingernail...
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Those are the typical suggestions. :thumb:

hbgirl 02-24-2013 10:31 AM

Hair dryer worked for me; get it hot enough then peel a corner. Came right off.

xcoaste 02-24-2013 10:48 AM

If you have a steady hand a razor blade works. Just make the surface wet first. I would use this is a last resort though.

RoadiJeff 02-24-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitnesstec (Post 3413012)
I was considering a hair dryer, goo gone, and a fingernail...

I used that method for removing decals from my motorcycle. It worked just fine. I would NEVER use a razor blade, no matter how steady my hands were. :eek:

What kind of cycling do you do? I'm a long distance rider myself, a few 24-hr races now and then, etc.

JeffC 02-24-2013 11:16 AM

Mine came off just with a fingernail. I waxed the area well afterward, however the "ghost" of the stickers still appear when it gets dusty.

mountainneer 02-24-2013 11:20 AM

You should be able to peel the edge of the sticker with a finger nail and slowly remove it. Use WD-40 to remove the glue after removing the sticker. Then wipe off the WD-40 with soap and water or glass cleaner and wax the area. Most important thing is take your time. Don't rush it.

Just my 2 cents..I have been removing stickers for a long time..Thats the first thing I do after bringing home a new vehicle.

Off topic: Cannondale Super Six for me

Good luck

skullnbeer 02-24-2013 11:21 AM

Hair dryer works.OR if you live in a warm area park outside and let the sun bake on it.It will get plenty warm and peel right off.

xcoaste 02-24-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcoaste (Post 3413112)
If you have a steady hand a razor blade works. Just make the surface wet first. I would use this is a last resort though.

I should have been more specific. You just use the razor blade to get the sticker started to peel, not use it to remove the complete decal. And don't go all the way to the clear coat on the paint. You can use a chemical to remove the glue. Like I said though, last resort. :thumb:

Mcrock 02-24-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffC
Mine came off just with a fingernail. I waxed the area well afterward, however the "ghost" of the stickers still appear when it gets dusty.

Try a clay bar kit. Then re-wax. That took care of my ghost

Fitnesstec 02-24-2013 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone. The removal was waaay easier than I thought. Yep...came right off with a little heat. No residue at all.

Jeff and mountaineer-that photo is from the 2011 Ironman Cozumel. Smoked that course! 24 hours in the saddle Jeff? Holy Crap!