Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Tire Toss up (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tire-toss-up-22202.html)

jtalar 10-11-2008 05:04 PM

Tire Toss up

Hey all, I am looking for some input from everyone on what brand tire to get, I currently have 31 10.50's but with the new lift I just installed it looks like a rollerskate. i plan on installing 33 12.50's, however I'm not sure on the brand. My heart was set on Goodyear MT/r's or BFG MT, but I saw these sweet Mickey Thompson's Mud terrains that have a very aggresive looking sidewall. I would like to get the most bang for my buck for road use as well as crawling. I don't really care about road noise, that will just let everyone know a badass jeep is coming. any inputs?

Thanks

Triple88a 10-11-2008 07:11 PM

if you want badass tires, look at the Baja Claws, i dont know how well they wear though.

http://www.all-4-action.de/gh/reifen...w%20Radial.jpg

06R1Raven01TJ 10-11-2008 09:32 PM

The old Mickey Tompsons wor way to quick I have no experience with the new ones. My buddy has a 03 Rubi with the 33 12.50 Goodyear MTRs and I have the same size BFG Mudders, mine seam to be wearing less than his and I put a lot more miles on mine. I love the way they handle off road to. Good luck hope that helps you out.

nicolas-eric 10-11-2008 09:35 PM

In rocks the MTRs are better because their sidewall doesn´t damage as fast as the BFG MTs sidewall. In mud the BFG MTs are better.
But on the road escpecially in rain or snow both aren´t very good.

Jma20a 10-11-2008 09:43 PM

IMO the bfg's are a little over priced if you ask me. i have the dunlop mud rovers that have a good tread that works well on and off road. i was surprised at how well they did in the rain for a mud tire. there are better tires out but it all depends on your budget if you ask me.

Triple88a 10-12-2008 02:35 AM

I have 35x12.5 dunlop RVs and those things suck in the snow.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...DSCF0021-4.jpg

SocialD 10-12-2008 07:34 AM

Check out Firestone Destination A/Ts, I have a set on my jeep and love them. They also make a Destination M/T that look pretty aggressive. The price on the A/Ts was really good too.

tj1230 10-12-2008 10:27 AM

How much driving do you do on the street or is it a trail mostly vehicle? Mickey Thompson, Interco, and Goodyear are for pretty much all Off-road use. Two of them make tires for on road but your wear is going to be a good amount. Goodyear is a great tire for off-road and some will argue, but the tread is too soft and will wear horribly on road. I can say this becuase I rotate every 2k. BFG Mud Terrains(KM1) are a very stiff tire and they wear GREAT. I have had 4 sets of them, from my Jeep to when I had my fullsize chevy. More than 45k and still look BRAND NEW. Some will say that their sidewall was less then protectected, I personally NEVER had a problem. So BFG Fixed that rumor w/ the introduction of the KM2 and now the KM1 is being phased out. You can still get the KM1s but they are running scarce. This Km2 is no joke.
BFGoodrich Tires | Mud-Terrain? T/AŽ KM2 | Tire Overview
BFGoodrich Tires | Mud-Terrain? T/AŽ KM | Tire Overview

As far as dunlop mud rovers I have nothing. Destination M/Ts I wouldn't recommend them. I am running a set on my Rubi right now, and I hate every minute of them.

I am really partial to BFG becuase I have never had a problem.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

97tj.jeepinit 10-12-2008 10:29 AM

check out a set of maxxis bighorns I got some a while back and they ride really good on road and in mud

Jma20a 10-12-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SocialD (Post 271686)
Check out Firestone Destination A/Ts, I have a set on my jeep and love them. They also make a Destination M/T that look pretty aggressive. The price on the A/Ts was really good too.

i was looking at the destination a/t's, how do they hold up on the trail.

Mike001 10-12-2008 04:04 PM

Hankook Dynapro MTs are awesome all around tires. I had them in the sands and mud of the ocala ntl forest in FL to the jagged rocks here in west texas they are by far the best MTs I have ever ran and they are great on the highway I put my tires through some pretty rough stuff and have never had a problem. And I think they look good to check em out

jtalar 10-12-2008 05:07 PM

Thanks everyone, it is my daily driver but on weekends I take it out in the desert and there are some pretty nasty jagged rocks, not to mention the cactus. My main concern is sidewall wear, hate to pop one while out crawlin, as for rain or snow that happens out here about as much as a ford keeping up with me on the hills :D. One friend of mine has the BFG's and the other has the Goodyears, to which they both say that their tires are awesome.

Mike001 10-12-2008 05:19 PM

Hankooks sidewalls are bad ass cactus mesquite trees and them annoying little mesquite stumps never hurt mine i have them on my tacoma. I have seen more problems with the KM2s than the Hankooks.

Jma20a 10-12-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike001 (Post 271802)
Hankooks sidewalls are bad ass cactus mesquite trees and them annoying little mesquite stumps never hurt mine i have them on my tacoma. I have seen more problems with the KM2s than the Hankooks.

you should paint your tacoma pink and remove the ma at the end of tacoma, that way you could tell people that you drive a pink taco.:D

Mike001 10-12-2008 06:40 PM

I like my tacoma it dont break as much as my Jeep did. Maybe I should paint it pink that way it would attract even more fine ass ladies you might just be on to something....:appl: