Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Utah Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f61/)
-   -   Question for Utahns! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f61/question-for-utahns-222020.html)

CowboyChucky 02-24-2013 08:17 PM

Question for Utahns!

This maybe silly to ask, but does Utah have a law or regulation regarding doors? Obviously its great having to doors off on your wrangler and lots of people do it. Now I have never gotten in trouble nor pulled over for it but my friend has a 74' blazer he took the doors off of and got pulled over and issued a fix it ticket. Are just jeeps allowed without doors? Just looking for a little more clarification if possible.

Sherpa 02-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowboyChucky (Post 3415529)
This maybe silly to ask, but does Utah have a law or regulation regarding doors?

Yes, they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowboyChucky (Post 3415529)
Obviously its great having to doors off on your wrangler and lots of people do it. Now I have never gotten in trouble nor pulled over for it but my friend has a 74' blazer he took the doors off of and got pulled over and issued a fix it ticket. Are just jeeps allowed without doors? Just looking for a little more clarification if possible.

Why not check out the Utah code itself? It's available online here. I'll quote the relevant part from page 62 below:

Quote:

G. DOORS
1. Check doors and door components for proper operation.
a. REJECT when:
1) Doors are missing when not designed by the original
manufacturer to be removed.
2) Door parts are missing, broken or sagging to the extent that
the door cannot be opened and closed properly.
3) Interior and exterior door handles are not present and
function as designed by the manufacturer.
*NOTE: Shaved door handles with automatic releases are allowed provided
that when the engine is running, and the vehicle is in drive, the
wireless remote cannot activate door release switch.
As we all know, the doors on a Wrangler were designed by the manufacturer to be easily removed. This is why we don't get hassled for running doorless. Most vehicles, however, were not designed in the same manner--that's why your friend got cited. In this regard, a Chevy Blazer would be no different than a Toyota Corolla; if you take the doors off either vehicle, you are in violation of Utah's code.

HTH

CowboyChucky 02-26-2013 03:31 PM

Wow! Awesome, thanks so much for the reply and taking the time to do so! That's good to know. I appreciate your help

Jerricho 03-04-2013 02:08 PM

Make sure you have a mirror though, they will bust you for that. Since most Wranglers have the mirror attached to the door itself when they are gone, so is your mirror. I use a motorcycle one, and it works great in the hinge where the door was (note you only need a drivers side one).

CowboyChucky 03-05-2013 02:31 PM

Oh good call! I'll get a mirror, I never even thought about that. Thank you