Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Mopar light bar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-light-bar-222177.html)

Ttceccc 02-25-2013 03:45 PM

Mopar light bar

Anyone have or install mopar bumper light bar that bolts to the frame and you have to cut the plastic behind the front bumper?have read does not fit on rubicon cause of e disconnect.Want to hear about any one on the forum that has a ruby. I have a 13 jkur

minivpr 02-25-2013 06:33 PM

dont have to cut the plastic part, the brackets are made to go behind and un top of it...like a backwards 7 almost...as for the quick disconnect i dont have a ruby so cant answer that one

Ttceccc 02-25-2013 06:41 PM

Do you have a 2013?How do you connect the brackets if you do not cut the plastic?

FDHog 02-25-2013 07:10 PM

I have a 2013, and you don't have to cut the plastic. It's a bitch to get the top bolts in, so I cut the plastic for access, then riveted a plastic flap over it. Can't tell I ever cut it.

CrispyB 02-25-2013 10:46 PM

You do not have to cut the plastic.
Unbolt the plastic for the bumper so the back piece fits in/out easier.
Use a zip tie to hold and lower the top nuts into place. Tighten them from underneath before moving on to the bottom nuts and bolts. :thumb:

sclui56 02-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrispyB (Post 3420880)
You do not have to cut the plastic.
Unbolt the plastic for the bumper so the back piece fits in/out easier.
Use a zip tie to hold and lower the top nuts into place. Tighten them from underneath before moving on to the bottom nuts and bolts. :thumb:

Yes, use something to sort of hold the nut in place, I used a wire coat hanger. Absolutely no cutting of the plastic unless you chose to.

jsudduth 02-27-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttceccc (Post 3418777)
Anyone have or install mopar bumper light bar that bolts to the frame and you have to cut the plastic behind the front bumper?have read does not fit on rubicon cause of e disconnect.Want to hear about any one on the forum that has a ruby. I have a 13 jkur

a little off the subject but..

Have you bought the light bar yet?
If not go to Quadretec and look it up and then hit instructions.
The light bar is made by rugged ridge and is marked up.
i was looking for mine and was flipping through the different ones and stumbled across this.
not much of a mark up but every little bit helps..

howabusa 03-30-2013 07:55 PM

I bought a OEM Mopar light bar on ebay from a dealer in North Carolina. It is made by Rugged Ridge, the Mopar bumper light bar is made by Rugged Ridge? I had read somewhere on the interwebs that you had to cut holes in the trim panel behind the bumper. Not true, figured this out after I cut a hole in the trim piece. The brackets that mount to the frame were a pain, had to figure out how to hold the nuts while putting the brackets on.

ItsMeKO3 03-30-2013 08:45 PM

I almost made the same mistake 2 days ago when I put mine on. Then I went back and looked at the instructions once more and realized how it went. The brackets that mount to the frame are a huge pain in the ass though! I ended up using an allen wrench to hold the nut in place.

Hemiroid 03-30-2013 08:52 PM

Anybody feel like posting a pic or two???

Much thanks in advance!!!

howabusa 03-30-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 (Post 3573455)
I almost made the same mistake 2 days ago when I put mine on. Then I went back and looked at the instructions once more and realized how it went. The brackets that mount to the frame are a huge pain in the ass though! I ended up using an allen wrench to hold the nut in place.

I used safety wire around the nut and then fished it in between the frame pieces. Pain in the ass!

ItsMeKO3 03-30-2013 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Only one I have right now. Planning on putting an LED bar on it soon.

Attachment 229531

truthiness 03-30-2013 09:07 PM

Unless Blevins is a family member, kill that plate frame.

The_Chief 03-30-2013 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemiroid (Post 3573497)
anybody feel like posting a pic or two???

Much thanks in advance!!!

Attachment 229533

ItsMeKO3 03-30-2013 09:09 PM

Lol I know. My brother in law is a salesman there. Only reason its still on.

The_Chief 03-30-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Chief (Post 3573575)

Since I already have KC's on the windshield, I'm gonna leave this bare... I haven't seen an LED bar on this bar yet--not sure if that would look good...

ItsMeKO3 03-30-2013 09:15 PM

My plan is to mount an led bar upside down so its on the bottom of the bar. Between the bar and the bumper. Then mount 2 lights on the windshield like you have.

The_Chief 03-30-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 (Post 3573607)
My plan is to mount an led bar upside down so its on the bottom of the bar. Between the bar and the bumper. Then mount 2 lights on the windshield like you have.

I like that idea.

Landman 03-31-2013 10:59 AM

No need to cut a hole in the trim piece. The bracket goes around it in an L shape. It is a lot easier to install if you remove the air dam. The dam is very easy to remove just by snapping out 5 or 6 plastic inserts. Holding the nuts in place is the hardest part. I finally taped them to a short piece of a coat hanger using masking tape. Once the nut was on the bolt I could just pull the coat hanger out. Here is a picture of mine.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps50f58c66.jpg

panthermark 05-31-2013 05:35 PM

Good to know the plastic does not have to be cut.

I think I'll go with this light bar (Rugged Ridge or Mopar...whichever I can find the cheapest) being that it can be had for under $100 shipped. Not sure if I should cut the tabs off, leave them empty or eventually install a flat LED light.

ItsMeKO3 06-06-2013 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Chief (Post 3573613)

I like that idea.

Finally got around to adding the LED bar.

Attachment 258314

panthermark 06-06-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 (Post 3832189)
Finally got around to adding the LED bar.

Attachment 258314

How much did that run you?

While I doubt I add lights, I'm curious.

I just checked Amazon...my Rugged Ridge (Mopar) bar should be here today. I'm hoping it is the right version that will allow me to not have to cut anything. I also notcied the Olympic version is even cheaper....

jkjeeper06 06-06-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3832297)

I just checked Amazon...my Rugged Ridge (Mopar) bar should be here today. I'm hoping it is the right version that will allow me to not have to cut anything. I also notcied the Olympic version is even cheaper....

I didn't have to cut anything to install my RR light bar. It just squeezes around the bumper and plastic filler piece

panthermark 06-06-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3832351)
I didn't have to cut anything to install my RR light bar. It just squeezes around the bumper and plastic filler piece

Good to know. :thumb:

As I read through the treads, some mentioned cutting the inner plastic, some said you didn't have to, others said it depends upon who made it.

I'm looking forward to putting it on...and I'm hoping this is not the start of some Jeep modding addiction. :hide:

ItsMeKO3 06-06-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3832297)

You shouldn't have to cut anything. The light, wiring harness and switch I got were a little under $300.

panthermark 06-10-2013 09:59 AM

That install was really, really, really easy.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1370716536

mgola27 06-10-2013 10:58 AM

I installed the Olympic one last year with no cutting. A little tight getting all the bolts aligned, but otherwise worked out nicely.

Just need to get lights...

panthermark 06-10-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgola27 (Post 3844926)
I installed the Olympic one last year with no cutting. A little tight getting all the bolts aligned, but otherwise worked out nicely.

Just need to get lights...

I almost wish I would have gotten the Olympic bar...could have saved $20...Plus I would rather real bolts than hex/allen head bolts...and it would have been made in the USA.

But yeah, no cutting what so ever. A long wrench and duct tape made the install pretty quick and easy.

Not sure if I'm going to get a light or not. I wasn't planning on it because those flat LED's are EXPENSIVE. I'm thinking of cutting off the three mounts, that way, if I get into a slight wreck, they don't rotate back into my cooler/radiator.

That Jeep Guy 06-10-2013 01:03 PM

Are there any fellow EU jeepers here who know if this light bar works with our 'park bench' style front bumpers?

panthermark 06-10-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy (Post 3845318)
Are there any fellow EU jeepers here who know if this light bar works with our 'park bench' style front bumpers?

Rugged Ridge and Mopar instructions (they are the same)
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/110409.pdf
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/114880.pdf

Olympic instructions (basically the same as well)
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/161963.pdf

I don't know if they fit, but they don't really mess with the bumper itself, it is the trim piece behind the bumper that could give you an issue. Maybe you can take pics of the top and sides of your bumper.

The instructions provided are actually incorrect to an extent.
You don't need to remove to bumper or do any trimming. Just remove the air damn (6 easy to grip tabs) and use a long wrench with duct tape to hold the nut.