Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Re Gearing HELP (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/re-gearing-help-222230.html)

alecprice1 02-25-2013 06:50 PM

Re Gearing HELP
 
Hey guys i have a 98 wrangler 4cyl with 33s with a dana 35 on the back and dana 30 in the front...i have stock gears on the 30 but for the back i have 3.55 gears because i needed a new axle.... My power has gone to complete shit and i barely use 4TH gear on the highway...let alone 5TH....i bought a set of 4.88 ring and pinion set...is that all i need??? Not to mention by gas mileage is less then 10...i cant deal with it anymore...

UnlimitedLJ04 02-25-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alecprice1 (Post 3419523)
i bought a set of 4.88 ring and pinion set...is that all i need???

you also need master install kits for both axles, and a shop/mechanic that knows how to do R&P setup.

Hun 02-26-2013 06:31 AM

You are going to notice such an increase in power!
And fuel consumption.
Need expert help though.
First gear became obsolete - only for crawling down mountains.

Shark_13 02-26-2013 09:35 AM

Don't the front and rear gears need to match....???...

Dextreme 02-26-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_13 (Post 3422557)
Don't the front and rear gears need to match....???...

Yes, if you need engage 4wd. But, its okay to have a 4.10 front and a 4.11 rear (typical for a stick SE). ;) But the OP needs 4.88 in both. :thumb:

Bullethead 02-26-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alecprice1 (Post 3419523)
Hey guys i have a 98 wrangler 4cyl with 33s with a dana 35 on the back and dana 30 in the front...i have stock gears on the 30 but for the back i have 3.55 gears because i needed a new axle.... My power has gone to complete shit and i barely use 4TH gear on the highway...let alone 5TH....i bought a set of 4.88 ring and pinion set...is that all i need??? Not to mention by gas mileage is less then 10...i cant deal with it anymore...

I have this EXACT set up, I think someone else said they had it at one point too on my help request thread. Who in the hell would be happy with this? How did it become so popular?

I thought about ReGearing like you are now, and I think it would cost me less to just Lower the ol' dog back down to a reasonable size lift and get some used smaller tires. Hopefully this would spare me of ReGearing.

But I am rather partial to the smaller lift look with some mean mud tires barely sticking out past the fenders. I will be watching this thread to see how your dilemma comes out though man. :popcorn:

Cons_Table 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3419742)
you also need master install kits for both axles, and a shop/mechanic that knows how to do R&P setup.

^^This. Also, I can't remember the carrier break off the top of my head, but you may need new carriers as well.

alecprice1 02-26-2013 12:42 PM

awesome guys thats just what i needed to know....i ordered the master install kit...i just need a little more money for labor...once i get it done ill post to see how it goes...i have been meaning to do this for some time now and im super excited!

00TJSport 03-06-2013 09:55 AM

What can a guy be looking at for the cost of a 4x4 shop regearing my TJ to 4.10's???
I just found out this morning my rear end is bad....has 3.07 now.

Water Dog 03-06-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3465575)
What can a guy be looking at for the cost of a 4x4 shop regearing my TJ to 4.10's???
I just found out this morning my rear end is bad....has 3.07 now.

I paid about $1600 to a highly respected shop last year to do a total regear on both axles parts and labor. They were not the cheapest, but were the most highly recommended in our area.

Sgaebe 03-06-2013 11:11 AM

The cost of regearing is quite expensive, I also need to regear to 410's and have been getting quotes. got one for 1800 and one for 1600. I'm looking to just replace the front and rear axle due to it costing less and I can do the work myself. You can find them for about 500 for the pair used. They will bolt right in. But if your going to be off road alot I would just upgrade to a 44 or 8.8, but then your looking at about 3000. Hmmmm what to do?

00TJSport 03-06-2013 11:20 AM

I just spoke with an offroading shop in my area. He quoted me $45/hr labor....4 hrs. per axle....plus parts. I can even buy my own parts and take them to him.

Jerry Bransford 03-06-2013 12:15 PM

Bringing your own parts to a shop is asking for problems if the install doesn't go perfectly... which is not unusual. When you provide the parts and things don't go well, many shops will just blame the parts you provided and you'll be stuck with getting them replaced under warranty. The installer will blame the parts & the dealer you bought the parts from will blame the installer who is the usual cause of problems.

Having the shop provide the parts (ask them to discount the parts) eliminates that worry and forces the shop to warranty everything, parts and labor, instead of just their labor.

00TJSport 03-08-2013 06:33 PM

I just found out tonight that since I have the 3.07 gears now, and wanted to go up to 4.10's, that it takes more than just swapping gears because of the case needs to be changed to accomodate the bigger gear. Soooo, my regearing job went from $750 ish, to $1175 total with tax, labor, parts. Still a damn good price IMO.

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2013 06:58 PM

That you need new carriers will not have that dramatic of a difference on your gearing. New gear carriers can be found for only $70-80 each so that adds perhaps $160 to the cost. There is no difference in labor since the old carrier needs to come out anyway. The last time I bought carriers, I shopped around & only paid $60 each for them.

00TJSport 03-08-2013 07:15 PM

With the case I have now, I can only go up in gear to a 3.55 in the rear, and 3.73 in the front. Anything bigger, it needs a different case.

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3478837)
With the case I have now, I can only go up in gear to a 3.55 in the rear, and 3.73 in the front. Anything bigger, it needs a different case.

Yes but as I went into above, that only adds perhaps $160 to the job for two new cases. An honest shop will not charge more for the labor because there is no additional labor required when installing a new case vs. reinstalling the old case.

89Saharagreen 03-08-2013 07:20 PM

What case do you have?

Are you sure you have to change? Or are you being told you have to change?

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89Saharagreen (Post 3478862)
What case do you have?

Are you sure you have to change? Or are you being told you have to change?

As he said above, he presently has 3.07 gearing so both of his cases will definitely have to be changed to get to 4.10/4.11.

00TJSport 03-08-2013 07:28 PM

Installer is charging me $99 for the rear case and $55 for the front case.
To upgrade to 4.10's.

freeskier 03-08-2013 07:31 PM

New carriers are like 60 bucks.

Sure it would have been better to have the installer buy the parts, but you have the parts now so just take them to someone. For just labor around $1000 is fair in my opinion, about 4-500 per axle. Depends on where you live though.

00TJSport 03-08-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3478851)
Yes but as I went into above, that only adds perhaps $160 to the job for two new cases. An honest shop will not charge more for the labor because there is no additional labor required when installing a new case vs. reinstalling the old case.

Labor is 4 hours for front and 4 hours for the rear. Labor charges have not changed since we talked about the simple regearing. He is an honest guy.

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3478890)
Installer is charging me $99 for the rear case and $55 for the front case.
To upgrade to 4.10's.

There you go, $6 less than the upper price I estimated for you. :thumb:

Jerry Bransford 03-08-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00TJSport (Post 3478901)
Labor is 4 hours for front and 4 hours for the rear. Labor charges have not changed since we talked about the simple regearing. He is an honest guy.

4 hours is a bit high, especially for the rear axle which is easier to get to, but that's still not unreasonable.

00TJSport 03-08-2013 07:43 PM

I really don't have any other choice considering where I live. Other quote was for over $1300 and 1 1/2 hrs. away.
Thanks again for your input Jerry. You are always a great help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.