Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Throttle body with a carb. filter? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/throttle-body-with-a-carb-filter-222983.html)

SpoiledRotten 02-25-2013 09:06 PM

Throttle body with a carb. filter?
 
I was looking at my TJ the other day and wondered why you couldn't put an old style air breather on the throttle body. Just remove the air tube and box, and just go with the old look of a big round air filter over the TB like you'd see on an old muscle car. Why would this not work?

pastorscott 02-25-2013 09:15 PM

Thats a darn good question...

Come on Jeep guys- why cant we ?:popcorn:

KaiserJeep 02-25-2013 09:20 PM

It probably would work but:

1) It will be lower performance than having a tuned intake tube ahead of the throttle body. Performance aftermarket intakes such as K&N include a new air tube.

2) It will be illegal because an open throttle body with air cleaner will not have an attachment point for the vapor recovery line that runs back to the fuel tank. This is an "evaporative emissions" item not present on all years of TJs. It is one of the things they visually inspect for in a state with smog testing.

pastorscott 02-25-2013 09:22 PM

there ya go...

UnlimitedLJ04 02-25-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten (Post 3420397)
I was looking at my TJ the other day and wondered why you couldn't put an old style air breather on the throttle body. Just remove the air tube and box, and just go with the old look of a big round air filter over the TB like you'd see on an old muscle car. Why would this not work?

it'll work at filtering the air in theory, but the air intake temps will go through the roof. directly over the hot engine's intake and exhaust manifold is where you'll find the hottest, most stagnant air.

thats why most vehicles, fuelie or carb, old or new, draw air from behind the headlight, in a fender, to the side of the radiator someplace, or someplace else cool (in stock form).

Patrick H 02-25-2013 09:58 PM

Most "older" vehicles had a short snout coming off the side of the air cleaner, drawing intake air right off the top of the engine.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1973-74-Chevy...JwQ~~60_57.JPG

Patrick H 02-25-2013 10:00 PM

Not to say it was the best design.
An open element right on top of the throttle body would be loud as hell, too.

UnlimitedLJ04 02-25-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3420668)
Most "older" vehicles had a short snout coming off the side of the air cleaner, drawing intake air right off the top of the engine.

and they often had a tube/hose of some sort going to the "outside" from that piece. or at least away from the motor.

like this:
http://image.moparmusclemagazine.com...d_express+.jpg

or this
http://image.classictrucks.com/f/173...51w_engine.jpg

or

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Patrick H 02-25-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

and they often had a tube/hose of some sort going to the "outside" from that piece. or at least away from the motor.
Yep, they did it both ways. I guess one would have to define "older". Trucks, especially, not much thought was given to the intake air temp a long time ago.

Maybe "most" isn't accurate.

Patrick H 02-25-2013 10:15 PM

Maybe the OP here should try it, and report his findings.:)

freeskier 02-25-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiserJeep (Post 3420502)
It probably would work but:

1) It will be lower performance than having a tuned intake tube ahead of the throttle body. Performance aftermarket intakes such as K&N include a new air tube.

2) It will be illegal because an open throttle body with air cleaner will not have an attachment point for the vapor recovery line that runs back to the fuel tank. This is an "evaporative emissions" item not present on all years of TJs. It is one of the things they visually inspect for in a state with smog testing.

The EVAP system does not use the intake tube, it is attached to the intake manifold. The only thing attached to the intake tube is the CCV.

SpoiledRotten 02-26-2013 09:50 AM

Lots of good responses. I'm not a mechanic and know that there's a lot of knowledge and experience here so I wanted to get some reasons it would or would not work. Makes perfect sense about the hot air being drawn in, so I'll most likely leave what I have and work on something else.

Thanks again. Great responses!

If you have other ideas about this question, then by all means, please post them.


BTW, thanks for posting that pic of the orange car's engine. I think I drooled a little on my keyboard. That is sweeeet!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.